No announcement yet.

Lone elk in Southeastern Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A high fence washed out several years ago near Foreman and there were a dozen or so running around there. AGFC said shoot every one you see. Property line of this place was Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oklahoma even does a draw elk tag. I’ve seen free range elk in Wichita Mountain area.

Comment

Used to have a lease near Tishomingo. We had quite a few elk on it.

Comment

Originally posted by rjet View Post
          That is surprising to me. I hunted Coleman and have never heard that before. Tish is just around the corner. There’s a lot of wildlife refuges in Oklahoma. I been interested in buying land in that area until I heard Blake and Miranda broke up!

Comment

There is a statewide season for elk in OK that started this year....each zone has its own quota....there are free ranging elk in SE OK

Comment

Originally posted by GhostSkull View Post
              There is a statewide season for elk in OK that started this year....each zone has its own quota....there are free ranging elk in SE OK
              Interesting. Thanks for this info. Wonder how many get poached on average?

Comment

Originally posted by Pigpiggy View Post
                Interesting. Thanks for this info. Wonder how many get poached on average?
                That’s exactly why the season was started to try and curb the poaching.....get landowners to see them more as $$ instead of a nuisance

Comment

Originally posted by Pigpiggy View Post
                  It would have long been dead by now. But heard that there was a large elk spotted along a county road near Atoka County. Other people started driving out to that location to see if they could get a chance sighting of it. Sure enough, it seemed to favor one particular area. With word spreading like that I’d imagine Mr Elk didn’t live much longer.

Where do you suppose it came from? This was before any known high fences were erected anywhere near that area.
                  I know exactly what and where you’re talking about, rhymes with wine fountain. Lol that elk got poached and then the POS let it lay there. Smh, that one wasn’t free ranging, it was high fenced. That was several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                    I know exactly what and where you’re talking about, rhymes with wine fountain. Lol that elk got poached and then the POS let it lay there. Smh, that one wasn’t free ranging, it was high fenced. That was several years ago.
                    Dang man. That’s a shame. I didn’t know there were any high fences in the area then. There’s been so much crazy stuff go on in them areas over the years. Used to be meth labs and cartels were the main worries.

Comment

Me and a buddy were headed up HWY 1 just NW of Madill one morning. A cow elk crossed the hwy in front of us. We just looked at ea other like....... ***..... ????

Comment

Originally posted by rjet View Post
                        Yep an if we had tags we would have gotten one.

Comment

A few years ago, a co-worker spotted an Elk on his place southwest of Houston. Did not have a rifle @ the time. Found out a few days later it had escaped from a ranch nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostSkull View Post
                            Been going on a lot longer then a year. Started in 1962, outside of the WMA’s, we have been using crop depredation permits for decades. After much legislative pressure landowners got a quota system put in place starting 2015.

Comment

Just getting to see one ,especially that wasn’t an escapee ,would be a treat. I used to help raise different species of deer in pens and it was depressing seeing them like that. Nothing normal about it.

Comment

good friend of mine killed one in Angelina national forest around 12 years ago

Comment

Working...
                                X