Boneless Stuffed Mutton Shoulder Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless Stuffed Mutton Shoulder Roast

Well here's another one for those wanting to give mutton a try. Works with lamb too.

Debone a whole shoulder, butterflying the meat so that it folds open off the bone. Can either hold it and cut away from the bone, or tunnel around the bone then butterfly, either way.
    Trim any hard fat that may be on the interior of the muscle. Then grab enough cream cheese to spread a thin layer on the spread out shoulder. Mine was about 4 oz.
    Then season with salt, pepper, mint, oregano, and just a sprinkling of corriander. I like spicy stuff so you could add cayenne pepper here, but my 2 yr old does not so I passed.
    Then dice about two handfuls of mushrooms, half an onion, 2 cloves of garlic and an apple. Could include celery. Mix together, and put as much of these ingredients as you can in the shoulder. It's okay to overstuff it. Slowly roll the shoulder up, then fold the last quarter over your roll. Here you can either stick it with toothpicks, tie it with butcher string, etc. Some way of keeping it together.
    Heat the oven to 325.
    Place the roast in a roasting pan seam side down. Cover lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Add any leftover mixture around the roast. Can quarter some red potatoes and throw them in as well if you want.
    Then you'll need about 1 cup of liquid. I used about 1/4 cup red wine vinegar and 3/4 water, but you could use beer, wine, brandy, etc.
    Cover with foil, and put in the oven for 3 hours.
    Remove the foil, turn up to 400, and cook for 30 minutes.
    Let it rest for 20 minutes or as long as you can keep your family off it. My son made it about 5 minutes.

I didnt have toothpicks but made makeshift ones with skewers, so you could probably do it neater than me, but didn't get a plated picture because we were scarfing it down.
    Attached Files
Working...
X