Ford 6.7 Owners..Need some tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford 6.7 Owners..Need some tips

I know there are plenty of ford forms out there.. but TBH is the only form I enjoy spending my hours through out the day looking at.

I just bought a 17 F250 with the beautiful 6.7 powerstroke motor. Truck has right at 60k on it. I want to flush the coolant, change the oil, air filter and any other maintenance item anyone can think of. I want to do this not knowing the history of the truck and want a good base line from this moment forward. Any tips on oil, coolant combos, air filters the GS has used or recommend would be appreciated. Thanks!

Took it out to Galveston this weekend to break it in!
    Attached Files

Comment

Motorcraft fluid and filters.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
        This. Heard horror stories about them covering issues if you haven’t used their services and fluid like def.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
          Synthetic oil
          Fuel filters ( both)
          Check diff fluid
          In cab air filter
          Air filter if needed

I might skip flushing radiator until book calls for it , to hold down on the expense

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRough1256 View Post
            I know there are plenty of ford forms out there.. but TBH is the only form I enjoy spending my hours through out the day looking at.

I just bought a 17 F250 with the beautiful 6.7 powerstroke motor. Truck has right at 60k on it. I want to flush the coolant, change the oil, air filter and any other maintenance item anyone can think of. I want to do this not knowing the history of the truck and want a good base line from this moment forward. Any tips on oil, coolant combos, air filters the GS has used or recommend would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have a 16 with 125k on it
            I use motorcraft filters and rotella oil
            Def, I use whatever is cheapest when I go into the auto parts store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Use Motorcraft filters. Order them in bulk at dieselfiltersonline.com. I didn’t realize I was out of oil filters today, and paid $24 for a motorcraft oil filter for my 17. I pay $11 ordering 6+ at a time from DFO. I usually order 6 oil and 3 fuel filters at once. Saves me on shipping, and keeps me solid for a couple of years.

Comment

I use the quick lane service at planet ford. You can buy 4 oil changes for I think $200. You can’t buy the oil and filters for that.

Comment

If you plan on pulling with it often CHANGE OUT THE COLD SIDE PIPE!!! It’s not if it will break but when. I did it ahead of time on my last one. This new one I didn’t ama got stranded on the way to the lease pulling a trailer with corn and my Ranger on it. It’s a fairly cheap fix and something you could def do yourself!!

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                    If you plan on pulling with it often CHANGE OUT THE COLD SIDE PIPE!!! It’s not if it will break but when. I did it ahead of time on my last one. This new one I didn’t ama got stranded on the way to the lease pulling a trailer with corn and my Ranger on it. It’s a fairly cheap fix and something you could def do yourself!!
                    I appreciate the heads up, going to be one of a few things I’ll be looking into right off the bat!

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                      I have a 16 with 125k on it
                      I use motorcraft filters and rotella oil
                      Def, I use whatever is cheapest when I go into the auto parts store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Everyone I talk to uses Rotella... They claim it to be god gift to oil!

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                        Use Motorcraft filters. Order them in bulk at dieselfiltersonline.com. I didn’t realize I was out of oil filters today, and paid $24 for a motorcraft oil filter for my 17. I pay $11 ordering 6+ at a time from DFO. I usually order 6 oil and 3 fuel filters at once. Saves me on shipping, and keeps me solid for a couple of years.
                        I like this idea, have it on hand for when the time comes and save a little coin..! Going to check this out, thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                          Synthetic oil
                          Fuel filters ( both)
                          Check diff fluid
                          In cab air filter
                          Air filter if needed

I might skip flushing radiator until book calls for it , to hold down on the expense

I only looked into the flushing bc I saw the secondary reservoir was below the min line. Wanted to clear out any old antifreeze before it started any build up and fill it with new solution to keep a eye on the level.

I had forgot about the fuel filter but I think that and the oil change will be first on the list

Comment

I second Acameron on his comment. Also, CP4 bypass kit, this keeps injectors/rails safe from pump failure. Cost around $350 plus labor to install.

Comment

My mechanic stressed venting the fuel tank properly. He did it for me. Supposed to help prevent some fuel system issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X