Diesel trucks doubling as a generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel trucks doubling as a generator

I'm sure many on here have seen the 2021 f150 hybrid with up to 7kw of power available from a panel in the back able to run both 110v and 220v. When under load, the motor kicks on and idles up to keep up with the power demand. I'd love to see an aftermarket option to retrofit the diesels. Thos entire storm I felt like I had a motor capable of huge power just sitting unused. 15-25kw should be easy load for that motor. Hopefully some rich texan can design such a system and sell it at a reasonable cost.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Been thinking the same.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing when I bought my first diesel in 18. Seems like an easy thing to do and why they haven't done this all these years is beyond me.

Comment

That is essentially what commercial service trucks can do. You can put a PTO provision on the transmission to power things like pumps and generators. There are forums dedicated to doing this very thing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

If they would just run a pto shaft out the rear, you could buy the generators built for tractors and hook one of them up. Adding a generator to the truck will increase the weight by 3-700 pounds, depending on the size of the generator. Since the truck manufacturers are under the gun to increase overall fleet fuel mileage, they are trying to trim weight.

Comment

Neck and I were typing at the same time. LOL

Comment

Give it 10 years. A generator will be standard. Going to need that generator to power the electric motors. Those electric motors are going to be 1000+ HP, and 2000 Ft-lbs of torque.

Trucks in 10 years are going to be absolute beasts. Electric motors. Basically locomotives.

Comment

For you guys with newer diesel trucks that have a DPF(use DEF). What does manual say about idling for long periods of time?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by shiner78 View Post
                  for you guys with newer diesel trucks that have a dpf(use def). What does manual say about idling for long periods of time?

Sent from my sm-t580 using tapatalk
                  i idle my work truck up to 12 hours a day without issue

Comment

Originally posted by shiner78 View Post
                    For you guys with newer diesel trucks that have a DPF(use DEF). What does manual say about idling for long periods of time?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
                    I'm a rancher and lots of my miles are checking cattle at an idle. No problem here.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                      If they would just run a pto shaft out the rear, you could buy the generators built for tractors and hook one of them up. Adding a generator to the truck will increase the weight by 3-700 pounds, depending on the size of the generator. Since the truck manufacturers are under the gun to increase overall fleet fuel mileage, they are trying to trim weight.
                      Yeah im aware of those, but I'm more interested in this same type of technology that is on the new f150. No PTO needed. I'm not sure what the additional wiring and battery weighs, but I would think it would be substantially less.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Why isnt there a plug off the motor like there is on the lighting generator I rent twice a year?

Comment

Would be cool if a device could be put between the transmission output and drive shaft to divert power to a generator. Shift from rear axle to gen power. Basically a PTO.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                            Why isnt there a plug off the motor like there is on the lighting generator I rent twice a year?
                            This^^^^how nice would that be!

Comment

Issue with these newer diesels is they don’t like idling for that long. Another reason to delete!

Comment

Working...
                              X