Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of great info

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Plenty of time to make sure its here before I head out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
        The evidence of sex attached thing is a pain, but I can see the reasoning for it.

A lot of bulls live 7-10 miles back into some hell hole, a guy might be tempted to shoot one, take the rack, and then shoot a cow that’s standing right next to his truck for the better meat.

Most of the archery tags are either sex, but there’s stuff like muzzleloader cow tags where someone might shoot a bull, stash the rack, and pack out the meat. Come back in when the head has been cleaned off and take it out.
        Well, the person who would do this, would just shoot a spike/immature bull close to the road if he doesn't have an either sex tag. So I don't see it preventing any poaching. I only seeing it forcing the poachers to be slightly more picky.

Comment

Man some of yall sure do make a big deal out of a little bit of hair. How much hair is on a nutt sack any way? couple square inches? just cut from inside out and not a big deal, and really not that hard to just leave it on when quartering out. If you plan on hunting out west anywhere for anything might as well get used to the idea as all the western states require it to be left on a quarter.

Comment

So what is the best flavor of freeze dried meals these days? I like some of the mountain house options, and noticed Peak Refuel mentioned above, there any other good options out there to mix things up with? Gonna be in the mountains for a full week so probably looking at needing 21 meals, plus the obligatory snacks between.

Finally going to get back after elk again after a 4 year break chasing muleys. Got Idaho tags in our pockets so going to give it a go during the October rifle season.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
              So what is the best flavor of freeze dried meals these days? I like some of the mountain house options, and noticed Peak Refuel mentioned above, there any other good options out there to mix things up with? Gonna be in the mountains for a full week so probably looking at needing 21 meals, plus the obligatory snacks between.

Finally going to get back after elk again after a 4 year break chasing muleys. Got Idaho tags in our pockets so going to give it a go during the October rifle season.
              Man I really like the Mountain House Biscuits n Gravy and ChiliMac. I've tried some of the Backpackers pantry and wasn't to fond of any of their offerings. Need to start looking for other brands/flavors as well, I'm getting tired of the MREs I've been eating haha

Comment

Man some of yall sure do make a big deal out of a little bit of hair. How much hair is on a nutt sack any way? couple square inches? just cut from inside out and not a big deal, and really not that hard to just leave it on when quartering out. If you plan on hunting out west anywhere for anything might as well get used to the idea as all the western states require it to be left on a quarter.
                Actually in Wyoming you can detach the evidence of sex and put it in a baggie and in the cooler with your meat.
                I do agree, a few hairs does not taint the meat. Just skin out the testicles and leave them attached without the hair.

Have any of you tried the small pouches of chicken and tuna you can get at the grocery store for meat in the back country : https://starkist.com/chicken-creatio...eat%20and%20go!

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  Have any of you tried the small pouches of chicken and tuna you can get at the grocery store for meat in the back country : https://starkist.com/chicken-creatio...eat%20and%20go!
                  I eat a packet of the flavored tuna with my lunch every day on the mountain. I've tried a variety of the flavors and the only one I had that I wasn't a fan of was the red curry with coconut.

Comment

Originally posted by chevota View Post
                    Anybody know how long it takes to receive your OTC tag from CO if you order online? This years spot doesnt have a license shop nearby. Looking at an additional few hours one way just to run and buy one if I dont pre order before the drive up. Closest place sells Fishing licenses but not Elk tags? In addition to "many things not making sense".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                    If it doesnt come in time you can go to any Colorado Parks offices and they will reprint you one. All you need is your DL.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                      I eat a packet of the flavored tuna with my lunch every day on the mountain. I've tried a variety of the flavors and the only one I had that I wasn't a fan of was the red curry with coconut.
                      This is what I do too...

Comment

Well the areas I was planning to be scouting in 2 weeks and hunting bear are under evacuation orders from the new Chambers Lake area fire. I guess I'll have to stay North, which stinks because in November I'll be hunting the Southern border in order to camp with friends hunting the adjacent unit. The good news is my bear hunt will actually be a more focused bear hunt now rather than primarily Elk scouting.

Comment

Actually in Wyoming you can detach the evidence of sex and put it in a baggie and in the cooler with your meat.
                          I do agree, a few hairs does not taint the meat. Just skin out the testicles and leave them attached without the hair.

Not yet, but having the wife add them to our grocery list now so I can start trying them out. Would be a great mid morning or afternoon snack paired with something sweet like a snickers. Several of the options look pretty good from what I can see.

Comment

Pulled up to farm today and caught a herd crossing river. Group had about 25 in it. Can’t wait for season to get here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like the Mountain house chili mac, the lasagna is also good, as is the chicken teriyaki. I eat the chicken and tuna pouches at home and they are good, but the calories per ounce isn’t anywhere near close to worth it to pack in 5+ miles. I don’t bring anything under 100/oz except beef jerky. It’s around 90 but I really like it. Some nuts are 200-220/oz.

I typically eat a cliff bar for breakfast, a summer sausage tortilla for lunch (or you can look up “butthole sandwiches”), goldfish, almonds, walnuts, pecans, beef jerky, and the dukes sausage sticks for snacks, and a mountain house for dinner.

Anyone who is complaining about a few hairs on the meat has never tried to skin and quarter and elk laying in the dirt on the side of a mountain.

Comment

Another big fire just south of us in Wyoming, Cameron Peak fire. Colorado is blowing up right now folks.
                                Air quality is going to get really tough I fear up here today, Colorado is already getting it bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X