How close is to close to a fence line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcamp View Post
    I hear ya. Do deer tend to run the direction they are facing when hit? Can waiting til their facing a certain direction help some?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They will go any direction.

Comment

How big are the neighbors?

Do they hunt?

Do you know them?

Are you bow hunting or rifle?

These are just a few of the things I would consider

Comment

Yes sir!

Comment

Not owned yet. But i know 1 will not hunt nor life there. 19 and 23 acres.

I will bowhunt primarily.

Comment

Live

Comment

That piece of property I see bucks every year as I'm driving by between that set of woods and the creek bottom. I've seen one pretty decent buck there in the corner and seen one real good one across the highway. About half mile past there I seen an axis doe crossing the highway one night last year

Comment

Why would you put two feeders on 19 acres?

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post

You tell me, idk just what I’d always thought I’d do.. that’s why I’m reaching out! I’ve got no reason

Comment

Originally posted by PredatorControl View Post
                    That piece of property I see bucks every year as I'm driving by between that set of woods and the creek bottom. I've seen one pretty decent buck there in the corner and seen one real good one across the highway. About half mile past there I seen an axis doe crossing the highway one night last year

Pm sent

Comment

For what it’s worth my FIL lives on 22 and sees different bucks at each feeder.

Comment

I got two feeders at one of my blinds.
                        One fenced, one not. Besides, I prefer to ensure at least one is always working
                        And full of corn.
                        As far as blinds, you need to have two depending on wind.
                        Predominant winds are not north.

As far as proximity to fence, it depends but what do you think is too close To
                        Your fence?

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                          I got two feeders at one of my blinds.

One fenced, one not. Besides, I prefer to ensure at least one is always working

And full of corn.

As far as blinds, you need to have two depending on wind.

Predominant winds are not north.

BP

Got it... thanks

Comment

Rifle or bow makes a big difference. Rifle-get to know neighbor and put a blind on the fence shooting into the property. Bow-I would put the blind somewhere near the center to reduce the risk of a wounded deer crossing a fence.

Comment

Common small tract folks I’d love to hear your opinions. Don’t want to get into a big moral debate just curious to hear how far some of your setups are.
                              We have 5 stands on our 140 acres.

The stands were already established around the perimeter when we bought the place and we wanted to leave the middle of the property as sort of a sanctuary anyway, so we just continued with what the previous owner had done. There are never more than 1-2 people hunting at the same time so crowding isn't an issue.

Two stands are 100 yards from a fence and one is 60 yards from a fence. The one that is only 60 yards borders about 200 acres that isn't hunted.

The other two spots are 200-ish yards from a fence. We mostly bow hunt and all stands are set up so no bullet or arrow can cross a fence.

Some of our neighbors have similar set ups and we can see two of their blinds from our property. It's just the way it is. We just try to out-feed them and provide more attractive habitat for wildlife.

As for wounded animals crossing the fence, get to know your neighbor and try to make good shots.

It really just boils down to what you and your neighbors are comfortable with.
                              Last edited by Sika; 04-28-2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Gun hunting shoot in neck..
                                If bow hunting be sure to talk to your neighbor now before season and offer up free help w fenceline upkeep and anything you can think of bc i can almost guarantee it bow wounded animals will end up across the fence... I've had heart shot deer run across a path wider than your 8 acre width

Comment

Working...
                                X