Javelina - What Do You Do W Them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Javelina - What Do You Do W Them

So Im taking my son on his youth hunt outside of Laredo this weekend. It is for deer, javelina and varmints. Im hoping he can get a javelina since Ive never shot one. Anyway, if he gets one, what are some options to do with it. I dont think a shoulder mount is in the cards but maybe a Euro mount? That is the only thing I can think of but wanted to see if there was anything Im missing. Any suggestions that wont break the bank??

They make awesome euros. And honestly shoulder mounts too IMO

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
      So Im taking my son on his youth hunt outside of Laredo this weekend. It is for deer, javelina and varmints. Im hoping he can get a javelina since Ive never shot one. Anyway, if he gets one, what are some options to do with it. I dont think a shoulder mount is in the cards but maybe a Euro mount? That is the only thing I can think of but wanted to see if there was anything Im missing. Any suggestions that wont break the bank??

I’ve seen some javelina rugs that look very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Eat'em

Oh yea and probly just a euro.

Comment

They make great tamales, the only way I will eat them.

Comment

Comment

We killed some in west Texas this weekend, everyone said they liked the fried javelina blackstrap better than the deer week cooked!

Comment

Euro mounts are awesome on javi's. Tamales are great and the meat is better than hogs and leaner so use accordingly. When I was about 8 years old my mom made some "pork" chops with a typical ketchup based sauce and they were amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                  We killed some in west Texas this weekend, everyone said they liked the fried javelina blackstrap better than the deer week cooked!
                  There’s no need to drink that much alcohol! Lol

Euro are what I’d do. Most mounts look absolutely horrible

Comment

Lots of pictures and a euro mount should make some decent memories for your son. Good luck to your son this weekend, hope you can get him on some critters.

Comment

I boiled the skull down of the first one I shot.

Comment

It depends...

Comment

Waste of Game

Please remember that you are required by law to take the meat. As others have said on here, they are good eating despite what you'll hear from the naysayers. That being said, be VERY careful when skinning not to touch the meat. Then, change gloves to butcher (or wash hands if not using gloves). They have a gland on them that works about the same as a skunk's.

You can do a euro pretty easy and they look great. Rugs are cool but I doubt they're cheap. Another cool option is making gloves from the hide. There's a thread on here about it.

If you're a bowyer (did I spell that right), the hide makes great backing on a self bow. I helped a buddy prepare one and have been meaning to post the process in the DIY forum but haven't gotten around to it. Good luck to your son.

Pablo

Comment

Coyotes consider them a delicacy, and they make an awesome Euro Mount

Comment

Not sure what the statue of limitations is but we always threw them in the brush. It takes 3 people skin one. One to work the knife and 2 to pick the fleas off the guy working the knife.

Comment

Working...
                              X