syrian cease fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
    As for this ceasefire being great...it gives turkey exactly what it wants with the only condition being a 5 day ceasefire.
    There are a lot of moving parts but I read it as a 5 day ceasefire, in hopes of getting to a permanent one.

“It will be a pause for 120 hours while the US oversees the withdrawal of the YPG [a Kurdish unit within the SDF] … Once that is completed, Turkey has agreed to a permanent ceasefire,” Pence said, adding that preparations were already underway.

“Our people did not want this war. We welcome the ceasefire, but we will defend ourselves in the event of any attack … Ceasefire is one thing and surrender is another thing, and we are ready to defend ourselves. We will not accept the occupation of northern Syria,” the Kurdish political leader Saleh Muslim told local television.

The rub is that I dont see the Kurds leaving all of towns in the "safe zone" the Turks proposed. I dont see why they would, or how a safe zone in another country you occupy, would ever work either though.

Comment

Well our "dealmaker" seems to have been played once again as the "cease fire" never even happened. The artillery fire continues...

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
        Well our "dealmaker" seems to have been played once again as the "cease fire" never even happened. The artillery fire continues...
        Not so fast. The fighting reported is the Free Syrian army attacking a disputed area.

Comment

I reckon a big CF for both sides over a large area really doesn't turn off like a light switch...

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
            Not so fast. The fighting reported is the Free Syrian army attacking a disputed area.
            Sounds like it was a minor incident and some blame Turkey but who the heck knows.

Comment

For energy, this means that the oilfields of north-eastern Syria may well remain in the hands of the Syrian Kurds, with some degree of connection to Kurds in the north of Iraq (the KRG). The territory controlled by the Assad regime (largely Shia Muslim and holding no oil or gas) could potentially become a state of its own. The fate of the rest of Syria (largely Sunni), either under the control of IS or al-Nusra Front, or any other rebel alliance, remains the biggest unknown.

This is a pretty quick rundown of some of the areas in Syria that are in question. I never really appreciated that the Kurds had the oil fields.

Comment

The double standard in the media and D.C. is fantastic.

We have to spend money and have troops in a country across the world to help with their disputes because, reasons.

We cannot do anything to enforce our own border with a failed state ran by Drug Dealers and terrorists because that would be racist. Spending any money on doing so is also unthinkable because it's a waste of funds. In fact, we need to open up our borders to said failed narco-terror state.
                Last edited by Clay C; 10-22-2019, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Just catching up. This thing took a horrible twist today. Russia is in the game BIG TIME and smiling about it at the press conference. His troops will replace ours and I am sure the oil fields are next. Oh well, I guess we can say that is OK also.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                    Just catching up. This thing took a horrible twist today. Russia is in the game BIG TIME and smiling about it at the press conference. His troops will replace ours and I am sure the oil fields are next. Oh well, I guess we can say that is OK also.
                    Looks like the Russians and turkey got together and decided how to carve up northern Syria. The Kurds weren't invited.

Comment

Didn't the Kurds already whop Russian once before?

Comment

Trump played the Dems and media on this one.
                        Announces we are getting out of Syria, then goes into Syria 8 choppers deep and kills Al Bagdadi.

MAGA!

Comment

Did Donald create a reverse Trojan horse to flush out al baghdadi ?

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                            Did Donald create a reverse Trojan horse to flush out al baghdadi ?
                            Sounds like it. As soon as his head pops up outta his hidey hole they got him. And his No2 man as well. There will most likely be an internal war to see who takes over next. Maybe they will kill off a few among themselves before we locate the next target.

Comment

Working...
                            X