Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creaky Joints spooking deer- any ideas/ remedies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creaky Joints spooking deer- any ideas/ remedies?

At 47 going on 48 I ain't as young as I once was.
    One new ailment that decided to show itself on a recent bowhunt is my creaky joints.
    I had a few does in and picked out a decent one but my draw arm decided to go snap crackle pop while reaching full draw (wrist /elbow/shoulder). The deer spooked out of my shooting lanes but none threw the flag or blew out of there.

I waited for a second shot, but upon another audible fireworks display they decided they'd heard enough and left.

I had pre-drawn before dawn to get any noises out, but this no longer seemed to work.

It was 52* with little to no wind hunting from a concealed tripod.

Would hunting from an enclosed boxblind or groundblind help conceal the noise or are my days of bowhunting coming to an end?

Anyone else found the cure for bowhunting with noisy joints?

Practice Draw

I am about to be 60. Lots of popping joints at my age. But they only tend to pop on my initial draw. So just as a rule of thumb I will generally do a practice draw a few times during each hunt to try to keep the joints loose. So far it has really helped. My bow also tends to have a little creak at full draw on the initial draw so drawing a few times eliminates that creak.

Comment

what is your draw weight? may want to reduce it. Like said above, my joints crick & crack on the first draw but not afterwards.

Comment

Use that oil everyone is talking about.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
          what is your draw weight? may want to reduce it. Like said above, my joints crick & crack on the first draw but not afterwards.

60# for the last 10+years.
          I did the prehunt draw- once.
          I’ll try working a few more in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No they don't hear my 50yo cracks and creaks in a box blind.....or at least they don't react to it. It's like a giant muffler.

Comment

I’m 53 and having the same issues. Just getting up from a chair both knees will pop and at least one elbow .

Comment

Box blinds conceal a LOT of sound. I have similar problems just walking around- my ankles pop with almost every step whether I’m hunting or not.

Comment

Good info on the pre draw, I never do that and have had an elbow pop a time or 2.

Comment

If you build a box blind, you can staple up a cheap foam mattress pad to the walls inside, or some old egg cartons. It will absorb a lot more sound and makes a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      No they don't hear my 50yo cracks and creaks in a box blind.....or at least they don't react to it. It's like a giant muffler.
                      Sounds like giant muffler is the winner.

Comment

Wonder if DMSO would help?

Comment

Insulated Box Blind will help cover noise.
                          Glucosamine and Fish Oil will help your joints

Comment

I'm in the same situation with the creaky joints. I really appreciate a slight wind to help mask my creaky joints.

Comment

LOL! It's hard to believe it's come to this. A ground blind will help muffle the sound, but I prefer to hunt in a tree. Practice draw, or just moving the joints will help "lubricate" them, but too much movement will scare the deer, too.
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                              X