Bullet weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullet weight

Do y’all prefer a lighter faster bullet or a heavier slower bullet for normal hunting ranges on deer and hogs. Let’s assume the rifle shoots both equally well.

I shoot 120gr in my 280ai where most are heavier. I think for hunting applications, having faith in your gun / bullet is more important than any other factor.

In general & for most texas critters, I like the lasers.

Comment

Not a gun expert, but in my research when building my AR, the twist rate of the barrel is made for a "heavier" 70+ gr bullet, so it may have to do with the set up.

I do shoot 180 gr out of my 30.06, only because that's what I purchased when I bought the rifle, sighted it in, etc... so 180 it is because I don't want to change anything. I could probably, and maybe should, go down to 150.

Comment

I shoot a 257 wby for a reason

Comment

Totally depends on the Bullet. Speed kills. But it’s hard for it to kill if it’s not a tough Bullet that will blow up on impact. I do chase speed.

Comment

I shoot the bullet the gun likes best, whether it's light or heavy. Accuracy is what I want.
            If it shoots both equally well then I'd just shoot the cheaper round.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
              I shoot the bullet the gun likes best, whether it's light or heavy. Accuracy is what I want.
              If it shoots both equally well then I'd just shoot the cheaper round.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
              This is really the best response. I shoot what my gun likes. My 06 loves 180s, but I dont need that much for Texas Whitetail, which is why I used my 30-30 most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                I shoot a 257 wby for a reason
                amen brother

Comment

I have always preferred "light for weight" in my rifles. For example, I reload and shoot the Barnes 145 gr LRX in my 7mm RUM. A lot of people would see that as light for that caliber. I will take more speed over a heavier bullet almost any day, especially with the high quality of bullets we have today.

In that same rifle I also have loads for 110 and 120 gr Barnes TTSX bullets and they are very accurate as well.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                    I have always preferred "light for weight" in my rifles. For example, I reload and shoot the Barnes 145 gr LRX in my 7mm RUM. A lot of people would see that as light for that caliber. I will take more speed over a heavier bullet almost any day, especially with the high quality of bullets we have today.

In that same rifle I also have loads for 110 and 120 gr Barnes TTSX bullets and they are very accurate as well.
                    I bet that rifle is a screamer with 110’s.

Comment

I prefer fast. Faster the better
                      I hunt with a 257 mag and use 110gr accubonds
                      I also from time to time use the 7mm stw And shoot 140gr Partitions
                      But the one I use the most is the slowest of the 3 ( but still crosses the 3,000fps threshold) is my 264 win mag and use 130gr Accubonds.

Speed kills

Comment

Hard to beat a 460 Weatherby Magnum, I really like mine. 450gr solids moving at 2550 fps is just hard to beat. Never lost a hog or a deer with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                          Hard to beat a 460 Weatherby Magnum, I really like mine. 450gr solids moving at 2550 fps is just hard to beat. Never lost a hog or a deer with mine.
                          Similar to my 416 loads that pushes a 400gr Hornady soft pint at 2600fps. Much prefer an expanding bullet on Texas game over a solid which just pencils through.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                            Similar to my 416 loads that pushes a 400gr Hornady soft pint at 2600fps. Much prefer an expanding bullet on Texas game over a solid which just pencils through.
                            Yes sir, but I get pass throughs with soft points too😂

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                              This is me. As long as it's a decent hunting bullet I'm chasing accuracy every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X