No announcement yet.

Garbage Can Watermelons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In......Maybe I could put some of those empty molasses tubs to good use.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
      Ok got it all ordered. Picked up my barrel today. What watermelons did you plant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Sorry... Missed your question. We planted to these . Not saying those are the best.... we wanted smaller melons and had limited choices at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        Exactly. They keep growing downward. Maintaining the proper length as the water level goes down.
        I'll be darned. Thanks, I am going to try this.

Comment

why only one plant per barrel? seems like you could have several?

Comment

I will start this by saying that I have never tried aquaponics of any variety but it is an interesting concept. I will try it in the future! Have looked @ many Youtube videos and there are many different ways to accomplish "aquaponics". I am a little skeptical about this just due to the fact that if you are counting on relying on the large volume of H2o in the barrel to keep the plants watered, and never have to renew any of it, the water may sour over a long period. And plant roots do not like sour water. As said, I am by no means an expert on this and, Chew (or anyone else), if you have used this with success then I will tip my hat to you and might try it myself!

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
              Chew (or anyone else), if you have used this with success then I will tip my hat to you and might try it myself!

Nope. First time for me.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
                why only one plant per barrel? seems like you could have several?
                As mentioned in the video.... That amount of water will last one plant through the growing season according to the guys I've followed. As the roots grow, the amount of water increased exponentially.

Comment

Just a little growth
                  Hopefully it will take off soon like the cucumber barrel.

Comment

Everything is looking great Bobby!

Comment

I am tempted to try this for growing some giant watermelons. I bet I could get some really big melons using hydroponics.

Comment

Any update on how it is going so far?

Comment

It hasn't been growing well...then wife reminded me I was supposed to take it out of the regular pot and put it in a net pot. Didn't have any more net pots so cut a bunch of slits and holes and finally got some root growth. I'll take some pics soon. Definitely not going crazy like the cucumbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                            It hasn't been growing well...then wife reminded me I was supposed to take it out of the regular pot and put it in a net pot. Didn't have any more net pots so cut a bunch of slits and holes and finally got some root growth. I'll take some pics soon. Definitely not going crazy like the cucumbers.

Remember, cucumbers grow crazy fast anyway. I put my watermelon in homemade net pots 1 week ago. I already have roots going into the barrel. They aren’t taking off but they are living and putting on growth and roots. I expect a jump next week. I will post pics Tomorrow if I remember.

Comment

I’ve got a sugar baby and a seedless variety in both pots. I will cull the down to one of each in each pot. I need the sugar baby’s to pollinate the seedless ones.

Here is the roots

Comment

How they coming along?

Comment

Working...
                                X