Draw Hunt Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blank View Post
    Not always true for your scenarios. You need to look in the catalog and you will see that the listed WMA has either Permits or Groups selected on the left hand side. Then the number of hunters per application specifies how big the group can be.

The biologists know how many animals they want, or will allow, to be taken.
    You're correct, I forgot that some do go by group. Pay Attention Like Blank said whether a particular hunt is listed as permits available or groups available.
    Last edited by SamSowell; 07-29-2020, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Out of staters should be required to pay a helluva lot more. Same goes for their application fee.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
        So then statistically speaking, submitting as a group would actually lower the odds of being drawn (forget loyalty points here). In your scenario, that means all groups of 4 are discarded for permit #8 (since there are only 3 spots left), all groups of 3 or more are eliminated for #9, and all groups of 2 or more are discarded for the last permit. Right?
        Its my understanding that some areas will overdrawn and subtract from alloted standby spots and some will not. They do not publish who does and doesn't, areas like devils river that don't have standby spots obviously will not overdraw. Every area is different, they all kinda do their own thing, even state park to state park the way the hunt is organized once you get there can vary greatly. Yes statistically speaking you chances are better as a single.
        Last edited by bossbowman; 07-29-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
          Its my understanding that some areas will overdrawn and subtract from alloted standby spots and some will not. They do not publish who does and doesn't, areas like devils river that don't have standby spots obviously will not overdraw. Every area is different, they all kinda do their own thing, even state park to state park the way the hunt is organized once you get there can vary greatly. Yes statistically speaking you chances are better as a single.
          That makes sense

Comment

Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Do they exceed hunt quotas during the draw now? A TPWD employee told me they do not since they changed the system in 2014 (They draw the exact quota). If they will slightly exceed a quota there's no odds difference in a group or individual application.

I know some hunts list permits and a few draw groups.

Comment

They do on the kids hunts because we were on one that had more than listed in the draw and this was before the standbys showed up an hour after the draw hunter checkin was

Comment

Working...
                X