Sprinkler System Backflow Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprinkler System Backflow Testing

If you have a sprinkler system that uses city water do you have to have the back flow system tested annually? Is it state mandated?

Our city sent out a notice to have it done but its not annual from what i recall.

Comment

Never heard of that. Seems overly burdensome. We had ours tested upon completion and never again.

Comment

Depends if it is a RPZ or double check. RPZ every year, Double check just when installed. City ordinance changes per city.

Comment

Here no...............

Comment

I believe NFPA 25 once said annually but it’s since changed. I’ll look when I got to work in the morning. Perhaps JBARR chimes in before then...

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
              Depends if it is a RPZ or double check. RPZ every year, Double check just when installed. City ordinance changes per city.
              This.

There are rumors the TCEQ is going to classify irrigation as high hazard in the not so distant future and if that happens it will go to RPZ's and annual testing for everyone.

Comment

In Round Rock yes...annual or biannual...but theyre sporadic in their requests for certifications. Its odd. Other cities in Williamson County dont seem to be as proactive...or actively enforcing at all. I think some part might be that certain neighborhoods were built before being incorporated and thus irrigation permits werent filed through cities. If RR is enforcing then prolly state law that gives municipalities authority to enforce.
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 08-12-2019, 10:22 PM. Reason: BiannualSpake

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo45 View Post
                  I believe NFPA 25 once said annually but it’s since changed. I’ll look when I got to work in the morning. Perhaps JBARR chimes in before then...

Think they’re talking about lawn sprinklers. Thought it was fire too when I first read it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m not sure if it’s “state” mandated but our local water corporation requires an annual inspection. Always thought it was a ripoff.

From our water supply website:

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), which is one of the regulatory agencies governing Hidden requires that the public water supply be protected from outside contamination. To ensure this protection, Hidden requires a testable dual check valve assembly or a reduced pressure zone assembly on all landscape irrigation systems. These devices are to be tested upon installation by a TCEQ Licensed Backflow Inspector and a copy of the test provided to the Hidden office. It is a TCEQ rule and the policy of Hidden to require annual testing of these devices to help prevent contamination of the water supply.

And they are serious about it as well...every single freaking year.

REMINDER: 2019 backflow tests must be received in our office no later than Monday, June 17th. Failure to have the test done and results sent to our office will result in disconnection of service. All applicable disconnect and reconnect fees will apply.

Comment

I was just wondering. I was quoted $125 to do an inspection. What a ripoff. Just like a vehicle inspection. Just cause it passed today doesn't mean it won't tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                        I was just wondering. I was quoted $125 to do an inspection. What a ripoff. Just like a vehicle inspection. Just cause it passed today doesn't mean it won't tomorrow.
                        That’s an absurd price IMO. Our guy owns his own sprinkler service co and charges us $40 each year, files the report for us with the water co on our behalf and sends us an email confirmation once completed. I’ve never even met him in person.

Comment

Yep that’s high we pay $50 a year.

Comment

Were in Bastrop and it's required every three years. Been paying $80 each time and they file the paperwork.

Comment

Our businesses in Longview and Tyler are required to have an annual inspection on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X