2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
    They will eventually produce again. Ours did the same thing last year, when the heat really got going around mid June. Around mid july they were back up and producing like crazy. This year we have had more consistent harvests, but we planted in 2 separate beds.
    Thanks! This is good news! I will continue to let them expand their territory.
    I also did 2 separate beds this year. Each on different sides of the yard to see I find a spot that they like more due to different amounts of sunlight. 1 side produced triple what the other side produced so I think I found the hotspot for all future cacuzza plants.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
      What do those taste like?
      You use them just the same as squash, and that probably the closest thing they taste like..but have a unique taste/smell. My family has been growing and eating these as far back in recorded family history from Italy.

Comment

Cacuzza taste like a squash as they are a Sicilian squash variety. I grow them for tradition and nostalgia. My grandmother and dad grew them in their garden every year. I prefer them because they are less susceptible to squash vine borers and can handle the heat of Texas better than and regular squash or zucchini.

Comment

Hmm. Never before. Jimmy Durante or healthy, be nice.
          Attached Files

Comment

Cacuzza taste like a squash as they are a Sicilian squash variety. I grow them for tradition and nostalgia. My grandmother and dad grew them in their garden every year. I prefer them because they are less susceptible to squash vine borers and can handle the heat of Texas better than and regular squash or zucchini.
            I have had a typical abundance of squash every year so much neighbors would avoid any more freebies. Every effort this year failed. unreal and no explanation. Crooknecks. Zucchini. Just leaves and small? Very weird. Oh well my tomatoes went NUTS and my Kentucky Wonders finally quit wondering and are doing super.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
              I have had a typical abundance of squash every year so much neighbors would avoid any more freebies. Every effort this year failed. unreal and no explanation. Crooknecks. Zucchini. Just leaves and small? Very weird. Oh well my tomatoes went NUTS and my Kentucky Wonders finally quit wondering and are doing super.
              Judging from the pic you posted above your tomatoes went more than nutz

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                Judging from the pic you posted above your tomatoes went more than nutz
                Nutzn to it. Unsure what to do with that little pepper? Oh Tomatoe!

Comment

2020 Gardening thread

It was a hot one for picking! About the same amount of sun burst tomatoes as in that red bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They will eventually produce again. Ours did the same thing last year, when the heat really got going around mid June. Around mid july they were back up and producing like crazy. This year we have had more consistent harvests, but we planted in 2 separate beds.
                    Looks a lot like the Luffa that my wife grows. Those are a little lighter green color but otherwise look about the same. Darned things grow around 3 ft long or so and produce into the fall. If the fruit matures it gets hard and dries into the luffa "sponge". The dried up ones she cuts into sponges and saves the seeds for next year.

Comment

Dirty Mike, what do you do with the okra when it gets that big?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        Dirty Mike, what do you do with the okra when it gets that big?
                        x2 At the size it to "woody" for us to really do anything with.

Comment

Up to 965 pounds of tomatoes on 22 plants. They are getting a little rough with cracks etc. Giving them away when I can

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone know what’s going on with my Meyer lemon?
                            Attached Files

Comment

This morning's harvest. Cucumbers, Cajun Belle Peppers, Tabasco Peppers, a couple better boys and ALOT of the sweet 100 cherry tomatoes.

Ive learned this year that I only need 1 cucumber plant, cajun belle peppers are my new favorite bell pepper variety and sweet 100 are AMAZING prolific cherry tomatoes that can handle the heat longer than other varieties. Very happy with my yield this year!
                              Attached Files

Comment

This morning's harvest. Cucumbers, Cajun Belle Peppers, Tabasco Peppers, a couple better boys and ALOT of the sweet 100 cherry tomatoes.

Ive learned this year that I only need 1 cucumber plant, cajun belle peppers are my new favorite bell pepper variety and sweet 100 are AMAZING prolific cherry tomatoes that can handle the heat longer than other varieties. Very happy with my yield this year!
                                Great looking harvest! Have you had any issues with pickle worms? We are having a tough time with them. Can’t seem to get rid of them. Anyone have an idea how to shake these little bastages?

Comment

Working...
                                X