Sam Houston rules questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam Houston rules questions

Ive been looking on TPWD, as well as USFS websites. I think ive found the answers to all my questions. But if someone with experience cold please confirm. I would really appreciate it. I've never even been there, but want to plan a trip this fall to hunt. I have a good lease down in Willacy county but really miss walk-in hunting like I used to do growing up hunting Pennsylvania forests and game lands.

What exactly are "scenic areas" and can you hunt near or in them?

You can skin/quarter animals at the camps, as long as it is a designated hunting camp.

You can use hiking trails to access deep in the forest but cannot shoot from them.

You can shot does without a special forest permit in archery season, but need the permit for general firearms season. What if you use your bow in rifle season?

The forest fall within a the antler restriction county. Doesn't apply where i normally hunt but seems pretty straight-forward.

Spotlighting at night? I could not find anything about just using a spotlight to view animals from your vehicle. I did read that night hunting is prohibited for any animal species, but did not see anything about just viewing animals with no intentions of hunting.

As far as shooting a doe during general rifle season. You need a special tag regardless of weapon type.

Comment

I wouldn’t recommend spotlighting at night in East Texas in the National forest. Nope, nope, nope

Comment

I believe using a spotlight is illegal from a road. If on private property, OK to view. Scenic areas are right off the roads so no hunting. I would not even hunt near them. Yes you can use trails but at some point you will need to get away from trails and service roads to hunt. I think it is at least 150 yards. It should be farther. What gets enforced the most are the required orange, license, APH, hunters safety card, no baiting, no buckshot, no loaded guns on trails or roads. LTC is excluded for a carry weapon. What you need to be careful of is if there is bait in an area you are hunting you can be ticketed for it even when you did not put it out or know it was there. If you find bait, report it ASAP. I had bait placed once in my area and I got the warden on it. I told him where I was planning to hunt and he gave me the green light. He copied the trailcam cards and set up his covertly. I have never had another issue in that area since. There are several members of law enforcement, state and federal wardens, and the forest service has law enforcement.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to using a tree stand again. I haven't used a climber in a while (they don't work too well on mesquite's and huisache trees) but thinking about trying saddle hunting there. anyone here recommend a good one?

Comment

Is parking only allowed at trailheads? Taking a scouting trip this weekend and wasn't sure if you're able to park alongside any road, or if it has to be in designated parking. This will be my first year hunting here.

Comment

Originally posted by TB B4 View Post
              Is parking only allowed at trailheads? Taking a scouting trip this weekend and wasn't sure if you're able to park alongside any road, or if it has to be in designated parking. This will be my first year hunting here.
              People pull over and park everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                People pull over and park everywhere.
                Thanks! I figured that was the case. Pretty lush in there right now with heavy ground cover.

Comment

Thanks! I figured that was the case. Pretty lush in there right now with heavy ground cover.
                  That's pretty much the case at all times. If it wasnt for pigs and people scouting I'm pretty sure itd just be solid walls of vegetation sometimes lol

Comment

"Lush"... that's a nice way to put it! lol

Comment

How do you get a permit to hunt there? I’m thinking about trying it this winter for rifle season.

Comment

Originally posted by chicken fried View Post
                        How do you get a permit to hunt there? I’m thinking about trying it this winter for rifle season.

You can get them anywhere licenses are sold. In person or online. Ask for a “ Type 2 Permit” or “annual public hunting” good for many places around Texas. They will send you a book of all public land you can access with the permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^The high school student working the counter at Academy will look at you like you’re from Mars if you ask for a Type 2 permit An “Annual Public Hunting Permit” is what you need. (Same thing, I just don’t think it has been called type 2 in 10+ years). General season in the Sam is buck only unless you apply for and draw an antlerless permit through the TPWD draw hunt system.

Comment

Working...
                          X