Aoudad down!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoudad down!!

A good friend of mine has 20 acres up in Leakey, TX and I've give over to his place to hunt and work on the property for about three years now. Unfortunately he doesn't see many whitetail, but sees a lot of hog and aoudad. I haven't had the chance to shoot anything till today. We decided last minute to try our luck this weekend so Friday after work we hauled butt up there from SA. We were able to hunt for about half hour before we lost all light. We pulled the game cards out and saw a bunch of hogs and only one or two aoudad. This morning I was in the blind at 630 am and by 645 there was a black hog just eating away at the corn. I contemplated taking the hog but I really wanted an aoudad. He hung around about a good half hour before leaving. So I sat back down, looked at my phone, and realized I had no cellular service. Fine. So I looked up and there was an aoudad at the feeder! My heart began to race! I got the ol 270 out (my friend wanted me to use rifle instead of bow because where we are at, on top of a ridge, it was hard to bring up,game if they ran down hill) and start to aim. Something then scared it and it jumped back into the bush for a quick second before coming back. It walked back in and gave me a perfect quartering away shot. Pulled the trigger and it did a mini mule kick before disappearing back into the bush. I called my friend and we began to track it after about half hour. We finally found it but it had gone downhill and over a 8 ft cliff. It took us about 45 to drag it back up,to the truck between the both of us. Those things are heavy, no joke. By the time we got it up there my lungs were on fire and we were sweating up a storm. Got it back to camp, gutted it and on the road in no time. We took it to Shots since it was on the way. They're gonna mount it and as far as the meat, cutlets from the blackstrap and the rest hamburger meat mixed with meat trimmings. Sorry for the long read, but this was my first aoudad and my first kill with a rifle.
    Attached Files

Good deal

Comment

Woot! Victory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good work!

Comment

Cool critters good luck eating it .lol

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Set nice. Great job.

Comment

Awesome, good work

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Congrats!!!!

Comment

Very nice! Would’ve been a little easier to drag if you gutted it where it lay instead of hauling all the extra weight back to camp.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Awesome animal. Auodad is on my list too

Comment

Working...
                              X