Bar J Day Hunts Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bar J Day Hunts Review

Background: my whole life I've had my best memories with my dad and grandad taking me hunting and fishing. Now that I am able to repay that gift, I take my dad, grandad, and brother in law on a hunt every year. We have been to quite a few places over the last 6 years and this year I chose Bar J Day Hunts in Kingsbury, TX.

First Impressions: The ranch is very easy to get to and centrally located which works well for groups coming from different areas. The exterior fence is brand new and the signage out front is clean and professional. Upon entering the gate you immediately come up the hill and are met by what we considered to be the nicest "bow hunting only" lodge we have stayed in. You are then greeted by Cody, the head guide, and shown around the lodge.

The Lodge: Very clean! Newly remodeled. Spacious rooms and beds with a nice ranch house feel. Sitting area with flat screen and direct TV, fridge, microwave, stove, and oven inside with 2 awesome bbq pits outside. Wonderful fireplace that heats the whole house and even a washer and dryer for your use (scentlok guys). The exterior of the lodge is sweet and they have targets set up everywhere for you to shoot at.

The Lake: 2 acre bass lake for your use to fish during the middle of the day. I know there were fish in there because I could see them hitting unfortunately it rained all weekend so we decided not to really fish.

The Blinds: Unlike most bow only day leases, Bar J literally has the nicest blinds in the day lease business. Elevated box stands with plenty of room and deer view windows. All the chairs are swiveling office chairs the arms already removed so you don't have to worry about hitting them when drawing back.

The Guide: Our guide was Mr. Cody Collier and he was top notch. Cody has no problem helping you with any task or hopping up to take you to do something fun. He also doesn't hover over your group the whole time like a lot of guides do. He was an awesome guy and did a wonderful job.

The Hunt: My dad, my BIL, and my cousin all went for hogs. I went for a hog and an axis.

My Dad killed a hog on the first night and passed a few smaller hogs waiting for a huge one we saw that he just wasn't able to connect with.

My cousin gut shot 1 the first night and missed 1 the first night, then got busted trying to video a group the 2nd night (his first time Bowhunting)

My BIL shot a big boar night 1 and missed another pig on night 1. Didnt have a shot at a pig on night 2.

I shot my pig within an hour of getting in the blind on night 1 and then had a mishap with my dad trying to film me shoot an axis this morning, causing my arrow to stick in the ground 15 yards short of the axis. It was actually hilarious how it all went down and a father son moment that will last a lot longer than the axis meat would've haha.

Animals Ratings:

Axis: Saw 2 over 30", 2 growing their velvet that will be well over 30", 1 @25", 1 right under 30", and a bunch of younger bucks

Aoudad: Had 12 come in one evening in the rain. Best ram was about 24". I'm sure there are more out there I just didn't get a look at them.

Blackbuck: Had multiple shot opportunities at one 20-21" and saw two more that were 18"+

Fallow: There's a beautiful chocolate fallow there that I was able to watch for a long time. He's not super smart lol but he's def got a nice rack haha.

Rams: Bar J has a ton of Rams and they are all big high silver to gold medal type rams. Plenty to choose from and you have a great chance.

Final Review:

Great Lodge, Great Guide, Great Animals, Great Time. I have been to the majority of the day leases that get discussed on this section of TBH and will say without a shadow of a doubt that my money and my group will continue to use Bar J for all of our family hunts. Too much action, too many animals, too nice of a place, too good prices, and way too good people to take our business elsewhere.

If you get a chance or are looking for a hunt, give Barry (owner at Bar J) a call. I can assure you that you will not be disappointed and as I, will probably be quite shocked at the experience and facilities you get at this place for the same price as some of the not so nice places we've been.

Attached Files

See any whitetail?

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
      See any whitetail?
      Ya sure did. Saw a ton actually. Nothing huge but good quality deer for the price of the hunt. Also saw a melanistic whitetail which was really cool too.

Tried to upload a pic from my phone but apparently the file is too big

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Thanks bud. It was a lot more fun chasing animals yesterday than waking up to chase a dollar again today. Haha

Comment

Blinds big enough for 2? My wife wants me to sit with her on her first hunts. So, no kill fees, just the daily? Thanks

Comment

Good right up, and after looking at their website I can't believe how cheap the hunts are! I might have to take my wife there this year to shoot an exotic. Thanks for the review.

Comment

Thanks for the info!!

Comment

I checked out their web site, looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by bps3040 View Post
                    Blinds big enough for 2? My wife wants me to sit with her on her first hunts. So, no kill fees, just the daily? Thanks
                    They have a huge octagon blind that is plenty big for 2 to hunt out of. The others are big enough for 2 if shooting out of the front window. The side window shots can get a little awkward depending on how big the two people are. The beauty of it is that being up above the animals does give you the freedom to move around a bit if you're quiet without getting busted.

Comment

No kill fees except on Fallow. However you do have to choose the species you want to hunt prior to going to the stand. Example. Can't say you'd like an axis and then shoot a blackbuck because it happened to present you a shot. I have seen a few people get upset at ranches that have this rule but if you do some research you will understand that a ranch owner would go broke in a hurry selling $1800-$2000 animals at $700 a pop. I have no problem with the rule and they are clear about it prior to getting out there.

In fewer words lol the $700 is a chance at a specific species not a chance at any exotic that presents a shot.

Comment

Reading this gets me excited for when I go at the end of the month. Now I got to figure out which one I wanna focus on the most

Comment

Last edited by kd350; 01-04-2016, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks, booked for 2 days, in a couple weeks. Looking forward to it

Comment

Originally posted by AggieBowHunter09 View Post
                              No kill fees except on Fallow. However you do have to choose the species you want to hunt prior to going to the stand. Example. Can't say you'd like an axis and then shoot a blackbuck because it happened to present you a shot. I have seen a few people get upset at ranches that have this rule but if you do some research you will understand that a ranch owner would go broke in a hurry selling $1800-$2000 animals at $700 a pop. I have no problem with the rule and they are clear about it prior to getting out there.

In fewer words lol the $700 is a chance at a specific species not a chance at any exotic that presents a shot.
                              I did not see a kill fee for Fallow, do you know what it is?

Comment

Working...
                              X