Badgers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Badgers...

Who else has noticed a lot of badgers out running around? I've seen 4 this week,a big one ran across the road in front of me tonight and all kinds of badger holes but I haven't seen the occupants yet. It's gonna be a good year for them it's lookin like.

If I see one too far from its den this Winter I'm gonna chase it down and catch it. Possibly a future thread to come if everything works out just right. Stand by.

Never seen one in the wild in all my days

Comment

There's a bunch up here. I think they're probably on the move because people are out farming right now. I'm guessing they're getting them stirred up. I know farmers don't like them because they can do damage to their equipment. Not necessarily them as in the badgers themselves but the holes they make can.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
        Who else has noticed a lot of badgers out running around? I've seen 4 this week,a big one ran across the road in front of me tonight and all kinds of badger holes but I haven't seen the occupants yet. It's gonna be a good year for them it's lookin like.

If I see one too far from its den this Winter I'm gonna chase it down and catch it. Possibly a future thread to come if everything works out just right. Stand by.
        I hope you have a friend filming that attempt.

Comment

Be sure to wear your go-pro on a head band mount whenever your in an area where there may an opportunity for a chase-n-catch. It's the time of year for the dispersal of last years younguns the cool wet weather is likely the reason for the increased sightings. Haven't been seeing the critters but I have noticed an uptick in deceased coons on the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
            I hope you have a friend filming that attempt.
            I'll see what I can do. They're easy enough to run down. They're short legged. They have really,really loose skin. If I can get it pinned down with my boot I'll have it caught. Just pick it up by the scruff of the neck and down towards the rump with my other hand so it can't grab me.

If it does.....Well.........I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Comment

I'll see what I can do. They're easy enough to run down. They're short legged. They have really,really loose skin. If I can get it pinned down with my boot I'll have it caught. Just pick it up by the scruff of the neck and down towards the rump with my other hand so it can't grab me.

And this how classic threads are born

Comment

Just remember, honey badger don't give a ****!

Comment

Badgers make a raccoon look like a kitten . I wouldn’t go there friend.

Comment

You need Doc May to go with you . You're going to have a fully dialated hole in your foot

Comment

When this happens add it on this thread. Ask the MODS to add something like going live to the title so we know it is happening.

I want to be able to go back and forth to Post #6 as I scroll through the photos.

Comment

I have noticed more around OKC area in the last couple years.
                        I found a hole on our lease on the NE side of OKC, and think it might be one.
                        A Friends place is W of Guthrie and he has them now, new to him just in the last year or so.

Comment

I challenge you to Google badger hunting and watch some videos... Dear God please video this attempt

Cousin killed one near santa Anna, and I've seen one in Southwest Oklahoma near Electra...

That said, if you really know where some active badger sets are I know some terriermen who probably would love to hunt them

This made me think of a quote...

In the words of a man who learned things the hard Way, "I don't mess with bees or wasp anymore...and I'll NEVER GIG another beaver..."
                          Last edited by catslayer; 10-26-2018, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
                            When this happens add it on this thread. Ask the MODS to add something like going live to the title so we know it is happening.

I want to be able to go back and forth to Post #6 as I scroll through the photos.
                            Will do.

I've chased them down and shot them with a pistol before so I know I can run one down no problem. Whether I can catch one without getting bit is questionable. As I mentioned their skin is so loose they could dang near turn around in it. I think once the feet are off the ground it should be fine. I just need to stay away from those claws. They're solid muscle from digging all the time so I'd imagine they'd rip someone open pretty good.

I just hope if I get bit it'll bite and let go or at least clamp down instead of thrashing around and tearing fingers off and whatnot. I hate to play favorites but I'm right handed so I might ought to have my left hand closest to the teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                              I challenge you to Google badger hunting and watch some videos... Dear God please video this attempt

Cousin killed one near santa Anna, and I've seen one in Southwest Oklahoma near Electra...

That said, if you really know where some active badger sets are I know some terriermen who probably would love to hunt them

This made me think of a quote...

In the words of a man who learned things the hard Way, "I don't mess with bees or wasp anymore...and I'll NEVER GIG another beaver..."
                              I've seen some of those videos you're talking about before. Mostly of European Badgers which look a little different but basically the same thing I think. Those little dogs that hunt those things are something else.

The closer it gets to Winter I always see more freshly dug badger dens. But there's also not as much cover around either so I see an increase in animal activity of all kinds. I think during the warmer months they're in irrigated fields mostly.

Comment

Working...
                              X