Proper way to tow a jeep???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to tow my daughters 2013 JK jeep to the University of Arkansas in august. My wife would feel better!!!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I have read all kinds of options. 2 down and 4 down. Seems there is a major argument for 2 down. I also agree based on the manual 2 down is not correct. The issue is I Have access to a car trailer but 9:30 hours each direction does not sound like fun. Bringing trailer back empty is going to suck. Also keeping trailer empty in parking lot could result in stolen trailer.

I will either believe TBH members or go see jeep service department on correct procedure.

Thanks in advance.

Manwitaplan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remind your wife if your daughter can't drive it to school she'll never drive it home to visit her momma!

Comment

Load Jeep full of clothes and shoes, and have her follow you and mom in your pickup, which will be fully loaded with clothes and shoes. College is about growing up, and the 9.5 hr. drive from Friendswood to Fayetteville is a good starting point. Best of luck.
      Sam J

Comment

Put a tow bar on the jeep and tow it behind your truck

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          Remind your wife if your daughter can't drive it to school she'll never drive it home to visit her momma!

I’d try this. I used to worry about my daughter driving 3 hours home from Texas State, I still do actually haha. But she does it every chance she gets if not working or an after school function she has to attend…aka parties and bonfires.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post

Dude I am still laughing. My wife said I will go up in the summer and tow it home. I said you have lost your mind.

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            Put a tow bar on the jeep and tow it behind your truck
            This is the problem. I have read at least 150 post on different forums for and against tow bars. Manual says 4 down but multiple diesel pushers swear by 2 down with the transmission and parking gear in place.

Just need tried and true method.

Comment

We had more mileage on the Jeep behind the motor home than driving. Just put transfer case in neutral and trans in park.
              Has to go 4 down or 4up on a trailer, never two down.
              Just remember that Texas requires a braking system for towed vehicles over 3500 pounds.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 41Chevy; 03-28-2023, 10:05 PM.

Comment

What 41 said. That's how I tow mine. Jeeps are easy to flat tow. Transfer case in N put in park. Leave key turned to first click so steering wheel won't lock. That's for my 2004. The steering doesn't lock on out Gladiator.

Comment

4 down, I've towed my 2014 JKU as far as Colorado using the process outlined in the manual. No problems.

Why disregard the user's manual based on internet forum posts?

Regardless, the first two responses above hit the nail on the head.

Comment

4 down and follow user manual. Not sure where you are seeing advise for 2 down but stop listening to them. I don't think I have ever seen a jeep pulled 2 down.

Comment

You’ve got plenty of time to teach her how to drive by then. She’s at the age where she needs to be able to do things like this on her own. Children need to learn to to be independent. It’s not healthy to baby them at that age. Let her drive and follow if you feel like you have to.

Comment

I pull my 2013 Wrangler all over the US 4 down.

There is literally no vehicle better suited to 4 down towing than a Jeep wrangler, just start noticing what all the Motorhomes on the road are towing.

Last edited by bboswell; 03-29-2023, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Let your daughter drive and Momma ride with her.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 000 Buck View Post
                            Let your daughter drive and Momma ride with her.

Absolutely. Great idea.

I am in the “if she isn’t old enough to drive there then she shouldn’t be going there” camp. Obviously not your idea or thought I get that, but momma is gonna have to let go.

Our only child just left for A&M last summer and it was heart breaking watching him drive away and we worried but it is part of it. A terrible part of it, but the emotions and worry are normal.

Comment

We were in the same situation when my daughter went to school in Fayetteville. We ended up driving my truck up there so my son could ride along with his sister, and I could haul the stuff. Making the drive gave her some confidence that she could do it on her own if needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X