No announcement yet.

Chasing #28!!!!! Polar Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know the style of hunting this is going to be? Do they ride around and look for tracks, or sit over certain areas glassing? I never thought we'd be seeing a polar bear hunt unfold on TBH!

Comment

Good luck Doc. Based on the temps you posted earlier it looks like it will be a bit balmy. Better take the suntan lotion and beach ball.

With regards to #1. I'd just pee my kilt. I bet that is all done inside the tent or inside a "snow outhouse".

Wonder what white bear tastes like. Chicken?

Comment

Might get a small tuft of hair from the hide to bring back. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
          Do you know the style of hunting this is going to be? Do they ride around and look for tracks, or sit over certain areas glassing? I never thought we'd be seeing a polar bear hunt unfold on TBH!
          I mentioned it earlier. It's a mix of glassing and riding around trying to find a track. I have to be on a dog sled, the guides can be on snowmobile. Once you see a bear or cut a track you try to decide if it's a shooter. I believe if they see the track then they know. At that point you get your gear ready, get close and then turn out a sled dog or two. As the dogs bark and occupy the bear you sneak in and take your shot. Hopefully it's a good one and the already aggravated bear stays put! I think there is some spot and stalk but only in areas that have some terrain. Most of the area is flat open sea ice. A fair number of bears are killed coming in to camp.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
            Good luck Doc. Based on the temps you posted earlier it looks like it will be a bit balmy. Better take the suntan lotion and beach ball.

With regards to #1. I'd just pee my kilt. I bet that is all done inside the tent or inside a "snow outhouse".

Wonder what white bear tastes like. Chicken?
            It is a warming trend! I packed some sunscreen and lip balm. I might have room for my Speedo!!!!!

Comment

I have heard white bear meat is a bit funky and fishy tasting.

Comment

C-section done and another big baby boy has entered the world. Now just some clinic and overnight call and it's go time!!!!!

Comment

I'm looking more like Santa Claus these days. Maybe that's my North Pole camo!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                    I mentioned it earlier. It's a mix of glassing and riding around trying to find a track. I have to be on a dog sled, the guides can be on snowmobile. Once you see a bear or cut a track you try to decide if it's a shooter. I believe if they see the track then they know. At that point you get your gear ready, get close and then turn out a sled dog or two. As the dogs bark and occupy the bear you sneak in and take your shot. Hopefully it's a good one and the already aggravated bear stays put! I think there is some spot and stalk but only in areas that have some terrain. Most of the area is flat open sea ice. A fair number of bears are killed coming in to camp.
                    Sneaking up to an already aggravated polar bear on sea ice with your bow sounds INTENSE! lol

Comment

Best of luck to you Doc on your adventure and hope for safe travels and no gear issues. Looking forward to following along.

Comment

Originally posted by jclaybennett View Post
                        I'm curious how you use the bathroom in those conditions. More wondering about #2 than #1, especially if nature calls when you're away from camp.
                        Be hard to get a inch of stuff outa 8 inches of clothing in that cold.

Comment

Good luck! Thanks for taking us along! Might hafta smoke your victory cigar inside!

Do people live there by choice or are they taking you to some way off remote wilderness to chase this bear? I couldn't imagine living anywhere that cold, course they probably say the same about 100 degree Texas summers!

Comment

Awesome. Best of luck. Stay safe as others have mentioned. Is your partner in crime going with or is she staying back this trip?

Comment

Ran home to pack a few things at lunch. I decided that if I am going to eat whale blubber and seal meat I might as well season it!!!!! Put some of this stuff in a little medicine tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                                Good luck! Thanks for taking us along! Might hafta smoke your victory cigar inside!

Do people live there by choice or are they taking you to some way off remote wilderness to chase this bear? I couldn't imagine living anywhere that cold, course they probably say the same about 100 degree Texas summers!

I think the population of Grise Fiord is between 140-160 people. The original inhabitants were told to live there. But they were tough and figured it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X