Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-14-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
Dirt_Dance
Four Point

Hunt In: Carbon, TX
Default Neighbor built a rifle range on the fence line

Curious what the green screen thoughts are. Our neighbor built a rifle range that runs along the fence line. itís is roughly an 800-1,000 yard range. His furthest most target from his shooting location is 4 yards from the property line. Not really much of a berm behind the target. The shots coming into this target are really not at a downward angle either. High shots to this farthest most target could potentially impact our cabin due to the line of flight. The other targets also run adjacent to the property line and just as close making hunting some other locations of our property a little dicey as well. He shoots down hill to other targets but this farthest target does not have as much elevation drop from his shooting bench.

We reached out to the land owner, who basically told us to go pound sand and move our cabin. We purchased our place 13+ years ago, he purchased a couple years ago. Not that it matters. Just wanted to point out our place was built prior to he even owning the property adjacent to ours.

We reached out to TPW who advised us to reach out to the landowner first and see if we could work out a resolution. Now we are waiting to hear back from TPW about next steps and a possible visit to see his set up first hand.

Has anyone had any experience with such a thing before? I posted some pictures to lend perspective to what we are dealing with.
Attached Images

Dirt_Dance is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:26 PM   #2
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

If bullet crosses property line, he has a problem. Other than that, I would say consult an attorney, as here on TBH you are going to get a lot of opinions.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:31 PM   #3
Huntingfool
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
If bullet crosses property line, he has a problem. Other than that, I would say consult an attorney, as here on TBH you are going to get a lot of opinions.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
this - bad situation for sure - amazing what "neighbors" will do - me? I would already have an attorney sending them letters - very dangerous situation
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
friscopaint
Ten Point

I'm gonna go with not anything you can do about it, hopefully he doesn't shoot alot........
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:33 PM   #5
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Build you a backstop on your property made out of plywood and just wait and see for evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manwitaplan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #6
chehunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County/ NM

Not illegal until something bad happens, unfortunately.
chehunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #7
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post
this - bad situation for sure - amazing what "neighbors" will do - me? I would already have an attorney sending them letters - very dangerous situation
and I would throw that letter in the trash if I were him. A letter from an attorney is meaningless if action is legal and it appears so, friendly no but appears he isn't concerned with that
Old 06-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #8
Benno
Six Point

Youíve spoken to him, he doesnít care. Since his farthest target is only 4yrds from the property line I would set up 4 sheets of plywood, 8x16, (yes I know, thatís expensive right now) a few on my side of the property. When one or more of his bullets cross the property line you will have evidence, then he and law dog may care. Until then, heís just using every inch of his property.
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #9
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/parks-a...t-62-0121.html
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:44 PM   #10
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno View Post
Youíve spoken to him, he doesnít care. Since his farthest target is only 4yrds from the property line I would set up 4 sheets of plywood, 8x16, (yes I know, thatís expensive right now) a few on my side of the property. When one or more of his bullets cross the property line you will have evidence, then he and law dog may care. Until then, heís just using every inch of his property.
And even if it were damaged he will claim it was done by them because they don't like him shooting.......law may talk to him and he'll say "wasn't me".......bad situation to be stuck in no doubt
Old 06-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #11
howabouttheiris
Ten Point

I'm putting in a gate and asking permission to use the range.... but I spend more a year on a membership to an ELR rifle range and shooting practice than I do on hunting.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
howabouttheiris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #12
Benno
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
And even if it were damaged he will claim it was done by them because they don't like him shooting.......law may talk to him and he'll say "wasn't me".......bad situation to be stuck in no doubt
Agreed, but I bet the range moves afterwards.
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #13
Bruiser
Ten Point

1k yard will be coming down not staying flat
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:48 PM   #14
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

We had similar deals & asked neighbors to put out flagging/survey tape on the fence at the bench and/or all target / sendero intercept areas where we could confirm when lead was flying...no problems.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:53 PM   #15
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

A very busy range on Hwy 183 faces East. About a half mile away is my uncles house. He has had chunks blown out of his limestone house. Has heard bullets whistling past him. He has had DPS and TPW come by and look and was told there are no regulations on gun ranges and that all they could do it advise the range to build a higher berm.
This was about 15 years ago so things may have changed but I don’t think anything at all can prevent this guy from keeping his range right where it is
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #16
Gerald G
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mississippi, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
A bullet starts dropping as soon as it comes out of the barrel. So you are ok with someone shooting in the direction of your house?
Gerald G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:57 PM   #17
howabouttheiris
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Some, but not as much as some may think. About a 2 degree angle (~1 inch per yard) at 1k for most popular calibers.

...unless he is lobbing them in with grandad's 45 long colt, which may be the case.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
howabouttheiris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 08:01 PM   #18
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno View Post
Agreed, but I bet the range moves afterwards.
Doubtful. He knows where burden of proof is. I know a guy that built his berm literally on the fence line and shoots straight towards it, I just shake my head, neighborly no but legal. I don't think in this situation a berm would matter, having a range right there is the annoyance. I know I wouldn't like it either
Old 06-14-2021, 08:05 PM   #19
J-5
Six Point

Hunt In: To the wind

Put one facing the opposite direction.
J-5 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 08:06 PM   #20
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Range looks a lot safer in the pictures than you make it sound. And appears to be 10-15ft of berm behind that target...

I donít see much of an issue currently.

Not really much of anything you can do about it either as heís done nothing illegal.

Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 08:06 PM   #21
friscopaint
Ten Point

that top right picture there appears to be a substantial berm behind it, only speaking of behind it
Old 06-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #22
BigOh!
Six Point

Hunt In: Colorado & Lavaca Co. / McCurtain Co. OK

Have The Warden come take a look..
BigOh! is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 08:18 PM   #23
Dirt_Dance
Four Point

Appreciate everyone’s feedback. I was standing in the low point when I took the pics so I was shooting back up towards the furthest target. This makes it look like there is a berm behind target. The sight line from bench to target is fairly level and there is not much of a back stop. My concern is at 1,000y the odds of someone hitting that target versus where all the misses end up. Once we hear back from the Warden I will let everyone know what he says.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:18 PM   #24
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOh! View Post
Have The Warden come take a look..
I called about dead deer in my ditch out of season, he said "what do you want me to do about it?" Said thought you might want to know......end of conversation
Old 06-14-2021, 08:20 PM   #25
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
A very busy range on Hwy 183 faces East. About a half mile away is my uncles house. He has had chunks blown out of his limestone house. Has heard bullets whistling past him. He has had DPS and TPW come by and look and was told there are no regulations on gun ranges and that all they could do it advise the range to build a higher berm.
This was about 15 years ago so things may have changed but I donít think anything at all can prevent this guy from keeping his range right where it is
A couple years ago land on the east was sold to a home builder. Papers filed in court stopped the long range shooting. Then the placed closed for good. Guess if you have enough money and lawyers anything is possible.
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 08:39 PM   #26
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

I would find the guy, talk to him politely. Point out he really needs a very large berm directly behind each target stand. That is quite a bit wider and a lot taller than his targets. I would think when you get out to 800 yards a 40 ft. or 50 ft. high berm would not be too tall. I know he is not going to like that part. But really the longer the shots, a few degrees of barrel angle, is going to result in quite a big more distance off target, high, low, left or right. The idea, that you are going to hit those steel plates every shot, is a fantasy. Even if you do hit the plates every shot, there are some that will deflect off in various directions. If the stand moves, and changes the angle of the plate, in relation to the shooter, so it's not as square with the shooter, the chances of a bullet deflecting off go up quickly.
I have done all types of shooting at all types of targets, I have seen bullets do a lot of things, that I would not have guessed before I fired the shot. Then been around when other people were shooting, and either did not give a crap, had no clue or were thinking it was cool to ricochet bullets off of rock walls, with a AK47. Twice I had, I am pretty sure the same A hole rain multiple mags of bullets down on me, with a full auto AK 47. The guy seemed to be having a blast shooting a AK 47 at a rock wall on the property next door. On two different occasions. The first time I had bullets raining down through the trees all around me. So I moved my tripod, two weeks later I am sure the same guy showed back up, next door with the same full auto AK 47 and rained multiple mags of bullets down all around me, at my new location.

I know the guy was shooting at a very high rock wall/cliff. I would assume he had no idea that probably ever round he fired ricocheted off of that wall over to where I was. I would think he would have to have been shooting at the wall, at an angle and not straight on, but I really don't know. I never saw him.

I have shot a rack of steel plates I made years ago, many times. One time I was shooting them. A buddy who lived over a mile away, directly in the direction I was shooting, called me all types of POed, wanting to know if I was the one doing the shooting. I asked him if I was sending bullets his way, he said no, but I don't believe he would be that POed, if I was not. His place was about 1 mile from in the direction I was shooting. So I am pretty sure that the noise from 22 LR pistol I was shooting, was not his concern. I would bet some bullets made it over to his place. But he kept saying that he did not have any problems with bullets.

That fence, could help stop rounds, that go too far to the right, but may also make the bullets defect at a much sharper angle also.

If the neighbor, does not want to change anything or do changes that will make much of a difference. You will not be safe on that side of your property, when he is shooting. I would make that very clear. So you won't be able to use that area of your property. If he does not like your ideas and want to make the necessary changes, I would then try talking to a game warden. The situation may be a little out of a game warden's area that they have much say so in. But they may be able to get a person to realize, how serious things may get, if something happens while he is shooting.
RifleBowPistol is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 08:41 PM   #27
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme8303 View Post
A couple years ago land on the east was sold to a home builder. Papers filed in court stopped the long range shooting. Then the placed closed for good. Guess if you have enough money and lawyers anything is possible.
Yup, I know of two ranges, one I was on the board of directors, that were shut down due to encroaching homes. The ranges were there long before anyone started building anywhere near them but more tax money can be collected from a thousand homes than from one gun range.
Geezy Rider is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 08:44 PM   #28
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post
Range looks a lot safer in the pictures than you make it sound. And appears to be 10-15ft of berm behind that target...

I donít see much of an issue currently.

Not really much of anything you can do about it either as heís done nothing illegal.

Yep. Looks good. And how much brush is between that target and your cabin? How much distance?

Two sides to every story. Not saying youíre wrong. But so far it doesnít look bad.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 08:51 PM   #29
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Is your fence line cleared on your side?

Build a bench on your side by his long target and put your long target by his bench, then he might think twice about your concerns. You never have to use your side.

Only other suggestion is see if he will put some indicators out when he is planning on shooting and see if you can use the range. Artos mentioned it above I think
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 08:54 PM   #30
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme8303 View Post
Different range. The one you are talking about is on highway 29.
cantexduck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 09:00 PM   #31
Oleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

The one on Hwy 29 was closed because lead was flying everywhere...
Oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 09:06 PM   #32
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

Install a sky mirror on your side of the fence, directly behind his target.

Last edited by mikemorvan; 06-14-2021 at 09:12 PM.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #33
kingranch
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleman View Post
Best of the west it was next door to my dad's place
They closed a year or 2 ago
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #34
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I fall in the camp of asking permission to use range. Id also just ask him to send a text when he is going to shoot if you are concerned about safety. If its just you dont like the location because you hunt close to fence then same deal. Dont hunt there when he is gonna shoot
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #35
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Did you trespass your take those pictures? I couldn’t tell if your property runs parallel or perpendicular to his?
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 09:13 PM   #36
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleman View Post
It was closed because money talks. Was just fine till big money started buying the land around it for neighborhoods.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 09:14 PM   #37
Dirt_Dance
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Did you trespass your take those pictures? I couldnít tell if your property runs parallel or perpendicular to his?
Stuck my phone through the fence. No trespass
Old 06-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #38
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

I’m going to climb back up on my soap box and ask, “Whatever happened to consideration of one’s neighbor’s? Geez!”
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 09:20 PM   #39
Death from Above
Pope & Young

Tell him you plan on shooting back.
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #40
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantexduck View Post
Different range. The one you are talking about is on highway 29.
Yep you are correct I was thinking 183 N then was fig he meant the one on 29.
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 09:36 PM   #41
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Seen this before. Can it work and be safe? Yes is there potential for serious bodily injury ? Yes. Would I feel at ease ? No. Best thing to do is try and be civil. Ive seen a couple homemade ranges that worked and been called to several for your same concerns. Ai t nothing like responding to a hospital and speaking to a grandfather that was walking in the woods with his 10 year old grandson and him saying ouch That hurt. .223 shot suppressed from a long way. Luckily everyone was ok but I still think of this picture every I see one of these threads.

Good luck and keep calm
Attached Images

rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #42
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
I would find the guy, talk to him politely. Point out he really needs a very large berm directly behind each target stand. That is quite a bit wider and a lot taller than his targets. I would think when you get out to 800 yards a 40 ft. or 50 ft. high berm would not be too tall. I know he is not going to like that part. But really the longer the shots, a few degrees of barrel angle, is going to result in quite a big more distance off target, high, low, left or right. The idea, that you are going to hit those steel plates every shot, is a fantasy. Even if you do hit the plates every shot, there are some that will deflect off in various directions. If the stand moves, and changes the angle of the plate, in relation to the shooter, so it's not as square with the shooter, the chances of a bullet deflecting off go up quickly.
I have done all types of shooting at all types of targets, I have seen bullets do a lot of things, that I would not have guessed before I fired the shot. Then been around when other people were shooting, and either did not give a crap, had no clue or were thinking it was cool to ricochet bullets off of rock walls, with a AK47. Twice I had, I am pretty sure the same A hole rain multiple mags of bullets down on me, with a full auto AK 47. The guy seemed to be having a blast shooting a AK 47 at a rock wall on the property next door. On two different occasions. The first time I had bullets raining down through the trees all around me. So I moved my tripod, two weeks later I am sure the same guy showed back up, next door with the same full auto AK 47 and rained multiple mags of bullets down all around me, at my new location.

I know the guy was shooting at a very high rock wall/cliff. I would assume he had no idea that probably ever round he fired ricocheted off of that wall over to where I was. I would think he would have to have been shooting at the wall, at an angle and not straight on, but I really don't know. I never saw him.

I have shot a rack of steel plates I made years ago, many times. One time I was shooting them. A buddy who lived over a mile away, directly in the direction I was shooting, called me all types of POed, wanting to know if I was the one doing the shooting. I asked him if I was sending bullets his way, he said no, but I don't believe he would be that POed, if I was not. His place was about 1 mile from in the direction I was shooting. So I am pretty sure that the noise from 22 LR pistol I was shooting, was not his concern. I would bet some bullets made it over to his place. But he kept saying that he did not have any problems with bullets.

That fence, could help stop rounds, that go too far to the right, but may also make the bullets defect at a much sharper angle also.

If the neighbor, does not want to change anything or do changes that will make much of a difference. You will not be safe on that side of your property, when he is shooting. I would make that very clear. So you won't be able to use that area of your property. If he does not like your ideas and want to make the necessary changes, I would then try talking to a game warden. The situation may be a little out of a game warden's area that they have much say so in. But they may be able to get a person to realize, how serious things may get, if something happens while he is shooting.

A 40 or 50ft berm is WAY overkill at a 800yd target.

And also...unless you were shooting your pistol directly at your buddyís property(aimed in the air for elevation) thereís no way a 22LR pistol sent bullets over a mile shooting flat. Especially not by ricochet.

Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 09:55 PM   #43
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
Iím going to climb back up on my soap box and ask, ďWhatever happened to consideration of oneís neighborís? Geez!Ē
Exactly!
Could he move his shooting point to where the targets are and shoot the opposite direction?
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 10:02 PM   #44
3whunt
Six Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald G View Post
A bullet starts dropping as soon as it comes out of the barrel. So you are ok with someone shooting in the direction of your house?
Lol. Might research that.
3whunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 10:30 PM   #45
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties
Default L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3whunt View Post
Lol. Might research that.
Why. Do bullets defy gravity?
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 10:53 PM   #46
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

It stinks OP! It seems as if some of these people have their ranges right on their fence lines also. You approached him nicely, he shot you down ( not literally) ��. Personally I would take this down every legal avenue that I could afford ( cut my nose off spite my face).
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 11:27 PM   #47
Trevor73402
Ten Point

Some of you folks…… geez. If there is a male version of a “Karen”, we have some here.

Ask the guy to send you a txt when he’s going to be shooting at his range and leave him alone.

Last edited by Trevor73402; 06-14-2021 at 11:29 PM.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 11:50 PM   #48
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post

Good luck and keep calm

I agree with post 19. Well put J5.
Attached Images

Last edited by Briar Friar; 06-14-2021 at 11:52 PM.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2021, 01:34 AM   #49
SabineHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-5 View Post
Put one facing the opposite direction.
And, when you hear him shooting, just empty a 30 rd mag. Lol
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2021, 05:01 AM   #50
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Yea, just “ask him to send a text”. Then clear the cabin and move off that side of your property so nobody gets shot. Seems reasonable...
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top