Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East Texas to South Florida things to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas to South Florida things to do?

The wife and I want to go on a road trip soon. We are looking at driving to Florida with nothing in particular planned and no pre-planned route. Any suggestions for things to do/see between here and there? Planning to just drive until we feel like stopping or find something interesting to do along the way. The wife has a goal of ending up in Key West. Thanks for any input.

Big Daddy Don Garlits museum if you like drag racing.

Comment

Some great Civil War battlefields on your way, or not far out of your way. Lots of history. We did that several years ago and enjoyed it immensely.

Comment

My parents went down the Natchez Trace several years back and really enjoyed it. Clearwater beach, outside of Tampa was fun. Nice resort town. Lots of window shopping. Beautiful beach. Clearwater marine museum was interesting. And you’d be really close to some excellent tarpon fishing right down the coast.

Key West was fun to see. Different. The margaritas at margaritaville were a little disappointing.

Comment

Lizards are everywhere

Comment

WWII museum in New Orleans.

Naval air museum at NAS Pensacola

USS Alabama in Mobile

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              Some great Civil War battlefields on your way, or not far out of your way. Lots of history. We did that several years ago and enjoyed it immensely.
              X2, seeing this USA history is cool.

Comment

Civil war battlefields at Vicksburg, watch the Blue Angels practice at Pensacola, PM Cajun Blake and hit some places to eat around Lafayette/Baton Rouge

I like to go through Vicksburg one way and Baton Rouge the other between Mobile and Shreveport to see more scenery

Comment

I’m not really a LSU fan, but like college football. We stopped in Baton Rouge to see the LSU tiger and stadium. It’s close to the highway and an easy stop. My kids especially enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I do that trip every year, originally from FL
                    Besides, the good ones already mentioned we have done in no particular order
                    Silver Springs,
                    Thomasville, Ga shopping,
                    Gainesville - UF stadium, The Swamp, UF butterfly house, Musuem of natural history
                    Ichetucknee springs
                    Kennedy space center
                    Airboat ride- either St.John’s river area or off Tamiami trail west of Miami
                    If, in July or later in summer, bioluminescence tour on Mosquito Lagoon, near Space center
                    Drive down middle of state, south of Orlando on 27, old towns, rural Fl.
                    Everglades National park, 38 mile drive to Flamingo, stop at Robert’s in Florida city for fruit milkshake and fresh produce
                    Cedar key, fishing town
                    Homosassa springs
                    Visit a gator farm
                    Everglades city/Chokoloskee old fishing towns
                    Feed tarpon at Robbie’s in Islamorada
                    Evening cocktails at Lorelei in Islamorada
                    Eat at Geiger Key Marina, 10 miles east of Key West, same owner as Hogfish grill in Key West
                    Usually little less crowded, both are good
                    Eat at Hurricane Hole marina, Stock island fresh fish right off the boats
                    Safe travels, Enjoy

Comment

I appreciate the help. Looks like we should be able to stay busy for a week or two.

Comment

Working...
                      X