Spin Feeding Quall and Muley's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spin Feeding Quall and Muley's

I have two spin feeders I want to set up on my property in Terlingua.
    I do not get to property very often. These are 300lbs barrel feeders.
    Thinking of spinning corn and a feed for quail mixed. is this ok?

What type of feed for quail?

Will animals find it if just spinning once or twice a week? Want to make it last.

Am I fooling my self that 2 300 lbs feeders could last 6 to 8 months ( about the visit schedule)?

Any one have any input or thoughts on this subject? I do have a water guzzler that I have been running for the last two visits, so hopefully this will be the real attractant, if it survived the freeze. Any real Advantage to adding limited feed to the water source?

You need bigger feeders, 1000 lbs minimum. Mix Milo with corn

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
      You need bigger feeders, 1000 lbs minimum. Mix Milo with corn
      Hard truths hurt. Thanks for comment.

Comment

Sure that will help. And you can stretch a 300 lbs feeder out 6-8. Just need to cut back the feed times and how frequently it feeds. A corn/milo mix will feed the quail.

Comment

Figure out a way to measure how much feed your feeder spins out. Say in a 3 second burst. Then figure out from there how many times the feeder can spin in an 8 month period.

Comment

Short answer is I don't think you can
            1) Safely guage feeds to cover 6-8 months (I have challenges 8-12 weeks personally, and i have same barrells and spinners on all 4 of mine)
            2) Even if so, put enough feed out to help or hold the animals

I suggest you consider 1000 plus feed stations, or don't sweat feeding in the office season, if you cannot make it down, but every 6-8 months.
            Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Maybe try stacking some wildlife blocks inside some PVC and wrapping wire mesh around the bottom so only birds can peck on them ( just thinking out of the box )
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-27-2021, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                Hard truths hurt. Thanks for comment.
                No problem lol, I learned a long time ago that bigger feeders equal less trips. Gotta haul more at one time but once they are filled they last a long time.

Comment

We use several spin feeders with straight milo. (300 lbers)
                  We did have corn it it for a while, but ran into issue with javelinas.
                  Settings are set for 3-5 seconds, three times a day.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrMJ6Vk5UA"]The Currie Quail Feeder - YouTube[/ame]

Have a couple dozen of the feeders linked above. They work great and surprisingly quail caught on very quick how to use them. Last for a several months.

Comment

Our feed mix was a half sack of cracked corn and half a sack of milo with a 2 sacks of corn. I have an old grain mill that we cracked the corn with. We dumped this into an old concrete mixer, let her spin for awhile to mix it up, and then stick it the feeders.

No idea on setting feeders up for long times between filling, our place is 75 miles away.

Comment

Great info and ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by wtx223 View Post
                        We use several spin feeders with straight milo. (300 lbers)
                        We did have corn it it for a while, but ran into issue with javelinas.
                        Settings are set for 3-5 seconds, three times a day.

The Currie Quail Feeder - YouTube

Have a couple dozen of the feeders linked above. They work great and surprisingly quail caught on very quick how to use them. Last for a several months.
                        Great video may need to do a free feed barrel like that and just spin corn for the deer

Comment

Doug,the little barrels like mentioned above are what I was think about doing.

Comment

Any word on the waterhole project?

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                              Any word on the waterhole project?
                              I will let you know, will be out there miss next week. Hopefully there will be some game pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X