Rwc's 2020 Tom Green County Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rwc's 2020 Tom Green County Buck

I debated whether or not to write a recap regarding my 2020 Tom Green county buck since I had posted the LDP in the 2020 San Angelo thread. But with the short days and lack of recent bow hunting threads, I decided to piece something together. I apologize in advance for the lengthy write up, but it took a little bit to get him killed and we are a little slow at work. Ha ha

As some of you know, I am fortunate to hunt some lease grounds south of Christoval in Tom Green and Schleicher Counties with a great group and have done so since 2015. This last off season we had an area open up in a pasture that I had always eyed since joining the lease. To say I was glad to get the o.k. to add a feed station to this area would have been an understatement.

Right at the end of spring Turkey season I moved a feeder into that area and immediately started pouring feed to it. Fast forward to May and we started our trail cam scouting/inventory time. My first card pull was late June and it showed what I had always assumed, the new area held allot of deer (1st picture). As I ran through thousands of photos, I came across a 9 point that had some serious mass and the start of a great frame (2nd Picture). By July's and August's card pulls, the 9 had blossomed into a deer that had my full attention (3rd Picture).

Let’s switch gears a little, with my limited knowledge of deer within this area, I reached out to our southern neighbor and asked him if he had any history with the 9 point and if so, did he have a good ideal of age? I was relieved to find out that he had some history and gracious enough to share.

So with the positive and honest feedback from BPhillips, I attempted to piece the puzzle together of his bedding, feeding, water and travel to and from these areas. Once I thought I had a clue of his bedding area, I set up stands to be able to hunt him in any wind scenario………..or at least what I thought would cover each wind……

It took me 9 sits in early October and hundreds of trial camera photos to figure out, I was doing something wrong. Each time I would ease in the area and hunt him, he would be a no show. But as soon I left out, he was all over the cameras.

So I researched wind history of the days I hunted and the route I used to get in and out of the area and came to the realization that he bedded in an area that he could either see me or smell me when I was walking into hunt.

I gave the area a rest while waiting on a northwest wind and did we ever get one. October’s arctic blast pushed through on the 25th/26th changing the winds to the NW, ice fell and weather turned pretty miserable for that area. I knew I wanted to hunt the back end of the front, so I Jumped in my truck on the 28th and rolled out west in time to be in the stand that evening. As I walked in my phone buzzed, it was a message from Phillips that read, “You hunting, is that your white truck?” I replied, yep and there is a beer in the back if you need one…….. He replied “good luck and hope he shows.”

I crawled in the blind and the wait started. With about 20 minutes left of shooting light I get a glimpse of him easing up a trial from the southwest. But as luck would have it, by time he got to the hand corn it was too dark for me to make a confident shot, but I knew then, I was in the game.
    Next morning I was back in the same stand an hour and half before day light. As the dark turned into haze I could hear corn being cracked. I slowly glassed out my north facing window and almost dropped my binoculars when the deer picked his head up………it was him.

I watched with heart racing for approximately 15 minutes before I had enough shooting light to give him the business. I said a little prayer, drew, settled my pin low in the pocket, and tripped the release. Before I knew it, all was silenced. I heard a faint crash of limbs breaking but did not have a view in that direction. I glassed my arrow and could immediately see lots of blood on the arrow and on the white rocks in the direction he ran (4th Picture).

I sat until 8:00 a.m. then eased out of my blind to inspect the arrow. As I walked up to it I glanced to the south to see a big white belly glowing under a half dead cedar (5th Picture). Now the heart racing and shaking started. I threw my hands in the air and thanked the Lord. Called the wife and told her and Breck that he was dead then texted Ashton and Phillips.

He made it maybe 50 yards before he piled up. His frame was every bit as big as I had imagined while looking through trail cam photos. The entrance hole was a smidgen lower than where I thought I had my pin floating but oh well.

Once I had him pulled out and was taking it all in, I looked back to where he died and noticed what I thought was an old arrow under the grass. That’s right, my buck died on top of someone’s old arrow that had lodged under the grass after their shot (6th Picture)…..what’s the odds of that???????

The tall 9 ended up scoring 150 1/8” with over 30” of mass and 42” of main beams.

Hope all enjoyed my long winded story. I apologize that the LDP’s do not show his frame well and honestly do not do him justice.

My family was blessed this season and I thank God for every minute spent with them and take none of it lightly.

God Bless and pray that we all get through these crazy crazy times.

Rwc
    Attached Files

A few more photos:

Rwc
    Attached Files

Comment

Heck of a buck

Comment

awesome buck

Comment

Awesome. Congrats

Comment

Beautiful deer amigo! Already day dreaming about next year

Comment

Bad***** man!

Comment

Awesome write up. Congratulations

Comment

Heck of a deer man, congrats !!

Comment

Great deer! Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing the hunt!

Comment

Well deserved sir

Comment

Great Buck Richard. Congrats

Comment

i was wondering where that arrow went!!
                          congrats on a great buck Richard!

Comment

Still jealous

Congrats again

Comment

Heck of a buck. Love that mass. Congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X