Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 05-23-2021, 06:04 PM   #51
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

I wouldn’t consider it price gouging unless you know the cost that they have to pay.

They could have recently taken a price increase as everything is going up. Academy has specific margins on everything they sell. They are not in the business of price gouging a few items.

Academy is only $$3 higher than Carter’s Country. I would not consider $8 difference from Bass Pro and Academy price gouging. Price gouging is actually only illegal on specific items that are essential. I don’t think the AG would consider powder as essential.I may be wrong.

Bigger things to worry about.

Last edited by captainsling; 05-23-2021 at 06:13 PM.
captainsling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2021, 09:04 PM   #52
Kong
Six Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineHunter View Post
I have three safes, one for gunpowder and ammo, rated 1 hour at 1200 deg. Where is yours?
You shouldnít have gun powder stored in a safe, thatís actually a bomb in hiding lol. Gunpowder ignites at 867 degrees, just some friendly safety advice but if thatís where you want it then Iíd suggest evacuating a long distance away if your house happens to catch on fire
Kong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #53
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
You shouldnít have gun powder stored in a safe, thatís actually a bomb in hiding lol. Gunpowder ignites at 867 degrees, just some friendly safety advice but if thatís where you want it then Iíd suggest evacuating a long distance away if your house happens to catch on fire
Yep.. Very dangerous. Firemen love these guys...
That is why mine is no where near my home.. And not in a safe.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #54
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
I almost responded about the making of a weapon of mass destruction. Imagine what 50 lbs of mixed gunpowder including some FFFF blackpowder as the accelerant would do inside a thick steel box. Even 25 lbs would be devastating within a 100 yds.

I keep mine separated in different buildings and stored on open shelves and in less than 25 lb qty. As long as the containers are tightly sealed they last for years. I have some over 30 years old that have not gone sour.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 09:49 AM   #55
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Florence, Doss, Fredericksburg

Are we saying that $8 is gouging? I just cant fathom getting all upset over an $8 price difference. How much is shipping from the Hogdon online store? I bet if you looked at the total price, that $8 is minimal. Really, $8 price difference. SMH.
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #56
SabineHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Good advice, Kong. I don't have a lot of gunpowder, just enough for when I might need it. But, it is full of ammo. Same principle, correct?
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 09:55 AM   #57
SabineHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
I almost responded about the making of a weapon of mass destruction. Imagine what 50 lbs of mixed gunpowder including some FFFF blackpowder as the accelerant would do inside a thick steel box. Even 25 lbs would be devastating within a 100 yds.

I keep mine separated in different buildings and stored on open shelves and in less than 25 lb qty. As long as the containers are tightly sealed they last for years. I have some over 30 years old that have not gone sour.
At least one thing I can say about you, you have a great imagination. I never said how much I had. SMH
Old 05-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #58
Kong
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineHunter View Post
Good advice, Kong. I don't have a lot of gunpowder, just enough for when I might need it. But, it is full of ammo. Same principle, correct?
Kinda, ammo isn’t a huge problem unless you have thousands of rounds stored inside the safe and at that point you will run into an issue. A single pound of gunpowder is a huge problem in thr though. It could absolutely blow up like a bomb. 10 plus pounds would probably level a good portion of the house and kill anyone close by.

Food for thought, most home owners policies will only allow up to 25 pounds of powder to be stored inside the home with some policies not allowing any so if you have a bunch of powder it may be worth checking into that.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #59
BigJimmyRustler
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch

Another TBH thread that's devolved into half the site telling the other half what they're allowed to spend their money on? NICE.
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 06:28 PM   #60
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
Another TBH thread that's devolved into half the site telling the other half what they're allowed to spend their money on? NICE.
They seem like a bunch of **** communists to me
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 06:35 PM   #61
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
Right, but I would just hope some of these experts know the difference in gunpowder and smokeless powder Most of the experts, who probably saw/read something on the internet, continue to call it gunpowder.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 07:13 PM   #62
SabineHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Kinda, ammo isnít a huge problem unless you have thousands of rounds stored inside the safe and at that point you will run into an issue. A single pound of gunpowder is a huge problem in thr though. It could absolutely blow up like a bomb. 10 plus pounds would probably level a good portion of the house and kill anyone close by.

Food for thought, most home owners policies will only allow up to 25 pounds of powder to be stored inside the home with some policies not allowing any so if you have a bunch of powder it may be worth checking into that.
Gunpowder out of safe and in shed in zip lok bags. Thank you, Kong.
But, it seems to me that it is safer to store 10k+ inside the safe rather than out of the safe. Yes?
Old 05-24-2021, 07:23 PM   #63
rcjunky007
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young Conty

Gouging. Usually $29.99

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
rcjunky007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #64
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default Academy and IMR 4064: is this price right? Or is it gouging the consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky007 View Post
Gouging. Usually $29.99

No gouging would be the $125 1# bottle of IMR4166 I saw at the gun show last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Mike D; 05-24-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #65
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Funny how everybody is talking about gouging ammo this and that with Academy, but no response about gasoline that has went up almost 100% since the elections.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:49 PM   #66
rcjunky007
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young Conty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
No gouging would be the $125 bottle of IMR4166 I saw at the gun show last weekend.

I just bought two pounds of 4064 last week at academy for $29.99

rcjunky007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 07:54 PM   #67
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky007 View Post
I just bought two pounds of 4064 last week at academy for $29.99

Good find.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 09:06 PM   #68
Kong
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
Right, but I would just hope some of these experts know the difference in gunpowder and smokeless powder Most of the experts, who probably saw/read something on the internet, continue to call it gunpowder.

So could I assume you know more about powder than I do since Iím an internet reader? Iíve probably spilled more on the ground than youíve ever seen.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:07 PM   #69
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Quote:
So could I assume you know more about powder than I do since Iím an internet reader? Iíve probably spilled more on the ground than youíve ever seen.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm guessing you to be in your early 30's maybe, but that's just an uneducated guess. Close?

Old 05-24-2021, 09:43 PM   #70
Kong
Six Point

57 and I’ve been reloading for the last 36 years. I average around 600 rounds a week now, I’ve slowed down a good bit so I don’t think I’ve read anything on line and spewing garbage.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:44 PM   #71
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Quote:
57 and Iíve been reloading for the last 36 years. I average around 600 rounds a week now, Iíve slowed down a good bit so I donít think Iíve read anything on line and spewing garbage.
There you go....

Old 05-24-2021, 10:46 PM   #72
howabouttheiris
Ten Point

I paid $42 per pound for 5lbs (after tax and shipping) from midsouth this week.

Sounds like a fair price.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
howabouttheiris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #73
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Loco, Quail, Lutie, Needwood.

I always love these type threads, very entertaining.

Is it gouging? I wouldn't pay that, but someone will. Then again I am well prepared and maybe the other guy isn't. Which is really what all these threads are about anyways. We all know the political world we live in now days. If you have been shooting for any amount of time you know these shortages come up, or at least you should know. The vast majority of this crisis could have been avoided if people would have just bought the things they knew they would eventually need when they were available. But they didn't, and now they are in a bind. Pretty much self-inflicted if you ask me.

I wish it wasn't the world we live in but enough precedent has been set over the last 30 years that we know that it is. Be proactive and manage it or pay the price. Generally it doesn't take a crystal ball to figure out when one of these events is coming up. Don't like paying $46/lb? Then stock up when it is $30. Even $30 seems high to me because a lot of mine was bought in at $25-$28. Or less.

I know a shooter can't always predict all of his reloading needs. Maybe you want to try a new powder, new bullet, you get a new gun, whatever. Maybe you want to go take a class you didn't plan on, something like that. I get that. But if a guy was otherwise well stocked, and most of the other shooters were too, then making a trade for what each person needed would be fairly simple. I have lots of single or partial boxes of bullets, different type primers, partial pounds of powders that if someone posted up they needed some for testing or whatever I would trade or send them no problem. 35 years of heavy reloading gets you in that position. But that is a totally different situation from just being unprepared on a basic level, which is what is driving most of this shortage.

Last edited by Jethro; 05-26-2021 at 09:02 AM.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2021, 09:12 AM   #74
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
I always love these type threads, very entertaining.

Is it gouging? I wouldn't pay that, but someone will. Then again I am well prepared and maybe the other guy isn't. Which is really what all these threads are about anyways. We all know the political world we live in now days. If you have been shooting for any amount of time you know these shortages come up, or at least you should know. The vast majority of this crisis could have been avoided if people would have just bought the things they knew they would eventually need when they were available. But they didn't, and now they are in a bind. Pretty much self-inflicted if you ask me.

I wish it wasn't the world we live in but enough precedent has been set over the last 30 years that we know that it is. Be proactive and manage it or pay the price. Generally it doesn't take a crystal ball to figure out when one of these events is coming up. Don't like paying $46/lb? Then stock up when it is $30. Even $30 seems high to me because a lot of mine was bought in at $25-$28. Or less.

I know a shooter can't always predict all of his reloading needs. Maybe you want to try a new powder, new bullet, you get a new gun, whatever. Maybe you want to go take a class you didn't plan on, something like that. I get that. But if a guy was otherwise well stocked, and most of the other shooters were too, then making a trade for what each person needed would be fairly simple. I have lots of single or partial boxes of bullets, different type primers, partial pounds of powders that if someone posted up they needed some for testing or whatever I would trade or send them no problem. 35 years of heavy reloading gets you in that position. But that is a totally different situation from just being unprepared on a basic level, which is what is driving most of this shortage.
You hit the nail on the head!
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #75
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

My guess is they aren't getting nearly as much product per hazmat order, therefore increase.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #76
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
I really need it so I would have bought it. You need to blame all the people stockpiling crazy numbers. 50k primers, 200 lbs powder, 30k bullets. Come on who needs that much. **** FOMO taking over.
We order 30K bullets and primers and 16#s TiteGroup powder at a time(9mm), and doesn't last more than couple years.

I'm still reloading at 0.14/rd, but not sure it will last till this is over
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2021, 12:14 PM   #77
Kong
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Greedy gun shop owners. They should only sell to regular customers.

Iíll let you in on a little secret. Regular customers that spend a lot of money get to go in the store room. Not everything goes on the shelf in every gun shop.
This is a very accurate statement, my go to shop puts a few things out on the shelves every day but heís been keeping the majority of it in the back room out of site for his normal customers. This has been his way of limiting who gets what and Iíd suspect a lot of your smaller shops have been doing this. I swapped him some Retumbo last week for an 8 pound jug of H1000 and I was somewhat shocked at the amount of powder he had. A small little shop out in the sticks still has awesome customer service, Iíll take these places any day over the big shops
Old 05-26-2021, 02:58 PM   #78
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....

Am I hoarding? Before you answer that, just know I havenít bought powder or primers in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2021, 03:04 PM   #79
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....

And before yíall pile in, I was taking an inventory and moving out the majority to a safer location (buddyís firework business).

Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2021, 03:05 PM   #80
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
Am I hoarding? Before you answer that, just know I havenít bought powder or primers in a long time.

Nice!!!
Old 05-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #81
FVR JR
Eight Point

Hunt In: Secret

It ain't gouging. When you got limited supply and high demand, prices go up. Gouging only applies to necessities in a time of declared emergency. Scalping is when you buy something at a normal price and jack the price up to line your pockets. Works better if you blame "hoarders" in order to deflect from your greed. Academy is doing neither.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2021, 07:37 PM   #82
Txhunter3000
Four Point

Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell

Well i have joined the stock up crowd. Kinda watching to see how this tread played out. I may not have phrased post # 2 the best as i was really trying to draw attention to the resellers and people that just buy to buy . I shoot a lot, I'm 64 and been reloading for 40 + years and retired. And although i can buy all i can I haven't until this thread. I had a probate family issue that I've been fighting for 5 months come up. I was trying to do the right thing and sell to a deserving family for a discounted price and ended up getting **** on so what the hell. I hope God understands but it seems the devil is winning and everyone is looking out for # 1. Not the same world I remember 25 years ago.

Ok slam me again.
Txhunter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2021, 08:31 AM   #83
bearintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20 minutes from the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
Saw a picture today of a guy that just received 25 boxes of a 190 gr. Hornady bullet. Come on who buys 2500 at one time.
I will, for competition. New barrel equals new lot of bullets. Buying them all at one time ensures they are all the same lot. 2500 is about the life of a barrel for competition uses. Same with primers and powder. At ~43 grains of powder per load, I will need 2 8# jugs of powder for that amount of bullets. Buy those at the same time out of the same lot as well.
bearintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #84
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Loco, Quail, Lutie, Needwood.

Last night I loaded up some test loads using some old components I need to go ahead and burn up. I figure now is the good time to use up the last of that old stuff and and save my newer stuff. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak. I am using the last 800 of the GM205M's I had left from the Clinton AWB/primer scare in the mid 90's, and some IMR-4064 from the mid-2000's with some Hornady 75 BTHP bullets. Nothing fancy just some good cheap pig killing loads.

Most of my components are not that old, though I do have a fair amount still from stocking up before the Obama shortages. Normally I run about a 3-5 year rotation on my heavily used components. Still have a decent stash of large rifle primers from 2012-2013.

And like bearintx said, I know a lot of guys (and I may be one of them) who will work up a load for a new barrel and then buy enough of those particular components to shoot the barrel out. Especially for a precision rifle. Saves re-developing loads when you can't find things. You may have to go back and re-tweak charge weights or seating depth to keep it shooting but you aren't starting over from scratch.

Last edited by Jethro; 05-27-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2021, 04:39 PM   #85
trophy8
Pope & Young

Name:  6C02B0A1-E200-4024-80AE-883396C2DE7D.jpeg
Views: 44
Size:  105.0 KB

Nice score today.

Thanks to a TBHer for the tip! Finally got some Retumbo and helped a buddy out. No gouging. All fair prices. We all stay stacked pretty deep on most stuff. Iím running light on bullets. Shame on me for not being prepared! Build a jew caliber during a shortage. Always a good idea.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2021, 05:23 PM   #86
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Attachment 1051053

Nice score today.

Thanks to a TBHer for the tip! Finally got some Retumbo and helped a buddy out. No gouging. All fair prices. We all stay stacked pretty deep on most stuff. I’m running light on bullets. Shame on me for not being prepared! Build a jew caliber during a shortage. Always a good idea.
Nice grab. I need bullets also.. What bullets are you needing? I have 600 168gr 7mm Berger VLD hunting bullets. Might trade some for something.

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 05-27-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:33 PM   #87
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Nice grab. I need bullets also.. What bullets are you needing? I have 600 168gr 7mm Berger VLD hunting bullets. Might trade some for something.
6.5 140 accubonds. Iím shooting the 180 vld in my 7 and have plenty.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top