Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 01-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
fakeworest
Spike

Hunt In: Florida / Texas / Colorado
Default 2021 Hagerman Hog Hunt

Hi! I have been drawn for Segment B and I have only one public land hunt under my belt so I have a few questions for the experts:

I have only hunted hogs previously with semi-auto rifles and have only hunted birds with a shotgun. Would you recommend OO vs Slug? I'm not sure I'll feel comfortable enough with a bow yet.

My prior hog hunts have been eradication hunts on friends' large ranches where we sometimes just leave them where they lay. Is there a requirement to extract/dispose a harvested animal on a NWR?

Thanks!

Last edited by fakeworest; 01-25-2021 at 12:39 PM.
fakeworest is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2021, 01:08 PM   #2
jnd1959
Ten Point

Got to use non lead in whatever gun you use. I drew the same Hunt but will use my bow. My son is using his Crossbow. I think a slug would work better but I'd test them for accuracy.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2021, 01:14 PM   #3
fakeworest
Spike

Thanks. I chatted with the biologist and these are the bullet points:
  1. Can leave them where they drop as long as not on a trail or road.
  2. They did an aerial eradication a couple weeks ago and killed 300. She estimates that was less than 1/4 of the total population.
  3. Around only 60 people paid for the tag so shouldn't be crowded.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
SC-001
Six Point

Non toxic shot only, don't show up with lead for you muzzleloader or shotgun, they're afraid some duck is gonna make it its breakfast...

Last edited by SC-001; 01-25-2021 at 01:25 PM.
SC-001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2021, 10:01 PM   #5
boomerball
Ten Point

if you can get dialed in with some slugs, that would be my pick. have killed them with muzzleloader, but have also had times where more shots would have been beneficial. have had mixed results with buckshot, but could be user error (too far , bad shot, etc.); plenty of folks do kill lots o hogs with buckshot. double check whether slugs are allowed this year though ... the regs didn't include them as written for the draw, could have been an error since corrected though.
boomerball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2021, 10:04 PM   #6
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

snag a semi auto shotgun which holds 3.5s, load it with 00 or 000 buckshot and let er rip... within 30ish yards
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2021, 07:25 AM   #7
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerball View Post
if you can get dialed in with some slugs, that would be my pick. have killed them with muzzleloader, but have also had times where more shots would have been beneficial. have had mixed results with buckshot, but could be user error (too far , bad shot, etc.); plenty of folks do kill lots o hogs with buckshot. double check whether slugs are allowed this year though ... the regs didn't include them as written for the draw, could have been an error since corrected though.
Looks like the regs have been updated to address all buckshot as well as including slugs.

Shotguns with buckshot or non-toxic slugs, muzzleloaders, archery
equipment, airguns, and arrow guns may be used.

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/20...mit%20Hunt.pdf
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2021, 10:33 AM   #8
boomerball
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback01 View Post
Looks like the regs have been updated to address all buckshot as well as including slugs.

Shotguns with buckshot or non-toxic slugs, muzzleloaders, archery
equipment, airguns, and arrow guns may be used.

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/20...mit%20Hunt.pdf
good to know. i got a slug gun setup for the hunt last year, but didn't draw this year. first time in ~8yrs I won't be harassing the swine up there
boomerball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2021, 05:37 PM   #9
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Razor, you left out a very important part.

"Only federally approved non-toxic shot (steel, bismuth, copper or tungsten) may be used for shotgun, muzzleloader, or airgun projectiles"

You know how some people are about "Well, the people on the internet said...".

Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-26-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2021, 07:05 AM   #10
Razorback01
Pope & Young

That is why I linked to the actual document.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:47 AM   #11
ttubudd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Glen Rose, TX, Hico, TX, Eufaula, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeworest View Post
Hi! I have been drawn for Segment B and I have only one public land hunt under my belt so I have a few questions for the experts:

I have only hunted hogs previously with semi-auto rifles and have only hunted birds with a shotgun. Would you recommend OO vs Slug? I'm not sure I'll feel comfortable enough with a bow yet.

My prior hog hunts have been eradication hunts on friends' large ranches where we sometimes just leave them where they lay. Is there a requirement to extract/dispose a harvested animal on a NWR?

Thanks!
Put in the miles through the thick stuff and you'll find them. If you have issues finding non-toxic shot, let me know. I'm in McKinney and stocked up for the last hunt. Would be happy to sell you a few boxes for what I paid for it if you're having trouble finding ammo.
ttubudd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2021, 11:02 AM   #12
SC-001
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubudd View Post
Put in the miles through the thick stuff and you'll find them. If you have issues finding non-toxic shot, let me know. I'm in McKinney and stocked up for the last hunt. Would be happy to sell you a few boxes for what I paid for it if you're having trouble finding ammo.
Nice gesture. Do they actually check you or is it just the risk of being checked by a federal warden and the ticket for toxic shot thats deterrent?
Old 01-27-2021, 11:40 AM   #13
ttubudd
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-001 View Post
Nice gesture. Do they actually check you or is it just the risk of being checked by a federal warden and the ticket for toxic shot thats deterrent?
They did check mine one year. Can't remember if it was at check in or what.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2021, 07:25 PM   #14
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Why risk being checked at all? And/or possibly getting a ticket or worse? Do the right thing. Follow the rules. Live with a clear conscience. And have a great time.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:25 AM   #15
jnd1959
Ten Point

I've stopped using lead broadheads and have switched to steel. I'm worried about penetration though, especially at distances over 30 yards...

Looking forward to this hunt. If I were you I'd go through your vehicle and bags with a fine tooth comb. I've heard horror stories of people with a few corn kernels stuck in the pickup bed getting a ticket. I know I've got some squirrel loads in the camper.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #16
ttubudd
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
I've stopped using lead broadheads and have switched to steel. I'm worried about penetration though, especially at distances over 30 yards...

Looking forward to this hunt. If I were you I'd go through your vehicle and bags with a fine tooth comb. I've heard horror stories of people with a few corn kernels stuck in the pickup bed getting a ticket. I know I've got some squirrel loads in the camper.
I had a full bag of corn (unopened, from the weekend before leftover after feeders were filled) at the hagerman deer hunt. Shot a buck and brought the deer to check in and they did not care for that at all. No ticket or trouble, but I did get a side eye and a few questions. If it had been opened, I think an accusation may have been made. I hadn't given it a second thought because I often drive around with a bag or two of corn in the bed.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2021, 09:54 PM   #17
Razorback01
Pope & Young

The folks at Hagerman are pretty easy-going, the asst manager as well as the guys that run the shop are good judges of humanity, do right- and it will be fine, do wrong and you may have issues.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:59 PM   #18
jnd1959
Ten Point

Good to know. Most of the managers I've run into are good. It's the federal game wardens that have a reputation. But, I suspect they see a lot.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:27 PM   #19
SC-001
Six Point

Quote:
Good to know. Most of the managers I've run into are good. It's the federal game wardens that have a reputation. But, I suspect they see a lot.
One in particular for sure, the one I am thinking about is as crooked as they come
Old 02-01-2021, 07:30 AM   #20
fakeworest
Spike

Went stomping around out there yesterday for the first time. Entered around the Meadow Pond Trail and went about a mile into the jungle near but not on the creek. It was thick and everything was dead. I'm have no idea how one should put on a stalk. I felt like I sounded like a commercial excavator moving every step in there. Not surprised I didn't see much but did scare a bunch of mallards in a small pond which I would have love to have seen on my duck hunt the day before.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:57 PM   #21
SC-001
Six Point

Did some stomping myself the other day, anyone else ever found the cemetery in Goode?
Old 02-02-2021, 09:40 PM   #22
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Quote:
Did some stomping myself the other day, anyone else ever found the cemetery in Goode?
Only cemetery I'm aware of borders Goode. Pics?
Old 02-08-2021, 01:57 PM   #23
CrossTimbers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown County

Lots of pigs in there even after the helo eradication. They don't come close to getting them all.
CrossTimbers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 01:59 PM   #24
Army of Dad
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeworest View Post
Went stomping around out there yesterday for the first time. Entered around the Meadow Pond Trail and went about a mile into the jungle near but not on the creek. It was thick and everything was dead. I'm have no idea how one should put on a stalk. I felt like I sounded like a commercial excavator moving every step in there. Not surprised I didn't see much but did scare a bunch of mallards in a small pond which I would have love to have seen on my duck hunt the day before.

I sneak/spot & stalk pigs with bow on public all the time. I donít kill nearly as many as Iíd like, but itís usually not too tough to get into archery range once you find them. The biggest thing is the wind. Keep it in your favor and you might be surprised what you can get away with.

If they are feeding they tend to make a bunch of noise and arenít anything like as spooky as a whitetail. If they are bedded you might have to be more sneaky, but archery range is doable. The thick stuff you find them in presents real problems with archery shots. While scouting for the deer hunt I got within 25 yards of multiple pig groups, and one sow was leading her brood right toward me before she took a different trail at around 3-4 yards.

Iím still holding out a bit of hope to find some non-toxic buck shot, but if bit my group will just tote out bows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Army of Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 11:19 PM   #25
jnd1959
Ten Point

The way I read it we don't have an orientation. Just be there after start time on first day and hunt away. Anybody have anything different?
Old 02-23-2021, 12:33 AM   #26
Scoutdog
Nubbin' Buck

No orientation, but the email I received said check in/out is through an app.

From the email:
"Due to COVID, check-in, check-out, and reporting of hogs taken will be done electronically through an app called GroupMe. You can download the app at www . groupme . com, or find it on the app store. It is free and will be a closed group specific only to your hunt segment then deleted the following day."
Scoutdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 06:45 AM   #27
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutdog View Post
No orientation, but the email I received said check in/out is through an app.

From the email:
"Due to COVID, check-in, check-out, and reporting of hogs taken will be done electronically through an app called GroupMe. You can download the app at www . groupme . com, or find it on the app store. It is free and will be a closed group specific only to your hunt segment then deleted the following day."
GroupMe seemed to work well during the deer hunts. I used it on a laptop (at the checkstation) as I couldn't access the app store on my old iPhone5.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:39 PM   #28
Army of Dad
Eight Point

Yíall check your email for some good news.

Old 03-05-2021, 01:34 PM   #29
jnd1959
Ten Point

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I missed the email. Still not going back to lead broadheads though.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:39 PM   #30
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

For the shotgun hunters using shot, TSS is some bad to the bone shot, if you can find some large enough. I'd suggest #2, or larger if you can find it. Almost twice the density/weight of lead. Also very expensive.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:24 AM   #31
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army of Dad View Post
Yíall check your email for some good news.

I'm not drawn, so no email- spill it.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:18 AM   #32
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

Quote:
I've only had one encounter with a federal game warden up there. I was sitting in my truck at one of the parking lots outside of one of the unit gates after scouting before a turkey hunt. He drove up behind me and got out and walked over. He was wondering what I was doing so I told him. Then I picked his brain about where he had seen turkey around the H. He loosened up and I got some good info.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 07:00 PM   #33
Army of Dad
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback01 View Post
I'm not drawn, so no email- spill it.

They lifted the requirement for non-toxic ammo for the pig hunts this year because of the ammo shortage. My sense is this is a one of so any future visitors to this thread be forewarned they are likely going back.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:09 PM   #34
Razorback01
Pope & Young

That is a good deal, I've often wondered if some type of waterfowl could eat a shotgun slug, buckshot- and I've never seen waterfowl in areas other than the planted fields or water.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:03 PM   #35
jnd1959
Ten Point

Anyone do any good on the first weekend?

Last edited by jnd1959; 03-12-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:47 PM   #36
Army of Dad
Eight Point

Quote:

Me and a buddy got four in two days

Old 03-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #37
fakeworest
Spike

Quote:
"only 29 of a possible 85 hunters actually hunted during Segment A, but 83 hogs were harvested"
Old 03-18-2021, 11:36 AM   #38
jnd1959
Ten Point

Saw that email from Hagerman. good news all around. Looking forward to it with a little cooler temps.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:37 AM   #39
jnd1959
Ten Point

Were the ticks bad out there?
Old 03-18-2021, 01:44 PM   #40
Texscala
Spike

Quote:
I was out there over the weekend walking around with the kids and found a tick on my shirt after I got home. Really did not go into the thick stuff so they are definitely still out there.
Texscala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #41
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:

Permethrin on your clothing and you won't have to worry about them, ever, until you need to reapply it 6-8 weeks later. Once it dries, it's oderless too. And it can be washed.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:40 PM   #42
Army of Dad
Eight Point

Quote:

Iíll second the permethrin. I used it on my clothing before the hunt and had no issues (as usual) during the hunt.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:16 PM   #43
Texscala
Spike

Slow day...walked 10 miles and did not see one. Back at it tomorrow.
Texscala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 12:57 AM   #44
jnd1959
Ten Point

Well, I saw piggies but not close enough to target with my bow. Put in a good 9 miles. Quite a bit for an old fat guy. Didn't hunt sat evening or Sunday. Figured the hoggies had pretty much fled the state. Heard alot of shotguns go off, especially Friday morning. My clothes were already sprayed so no little buggers. Saw a few snakes and deer but no turkeys. Did see some enormous tracks though. There's a huge tom in them woods. Any bigger and I would have guessed velociraptor. I'll go back next year. This was kind of a scouting trip anyway. Marked some oaks that produced and some rub lines.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:26 AM   #45
SC-001
Six Point

Anyone know where this is?

Old 03-30-2021, 11:41 AM   #46
Army of Dad
Eight Point

Quote: