Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May be moving to Dallas...Need some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

might have an offer for ya....pm coming.

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
      Addison is a cool place, more upscale than a lot of areas of dallas. It has the highest density of restaurants per mile of road. Lots of festivals and one of the biggest 4th of July fireworks displays around. You do not want to have a significant commute in dallas traffic. Everyone and their dog has moved N up near the 380 corridor and places like Frisco, Prosper, Little Elm are now becoming confining and running out of room. Even with the toll roads you will be sitting in traffic at length at times especially at peak of rush hour. A lot of these guys telling you it's not bad are doing a small stretch to work and leaving early for work and getting back home before 5. It is an absolute nightmare and I would suggest you find something north of Addison along Preston rd. Avoid 75 and 380.
      I drove from West Arlington to north and east Plano from 2013 until September 30th 2018. It was 46 to 50 miles from my house to my job sites. It took one hour in the morning and 2 plus hours in the evening. I was working 6-7 days a week building and remodeling schools. From June thru August it was definitely 7 days a week. I was spending too much of my life sitting in traffic, getting stuck behind accidents, and dealing with rude drivers.

On October 1st last year we moved to Southeast Iowa. It's the best thing I have ever done in my life. Now a traffic jam is getting around a tractor, combine, or an Amish buggy. I have not heard a siren or seen an emergency vehicle in a year. An upscale event for us is the county fair or an Amish auction.[emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Addison is great if you can find a place. Carrollton to the west is okay, highland village to the northwest is nice. East Richardson is okay. Wylie is far east and is decent.

Another vote for the Village and also Lake Highlands in east dallas. just built a new town center at lake highlands with apartments and dining and a stones throw to Alamo Drafthouse and Top Golf - i'll give you a tour if you like!

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
          Thanks for the tips thus far.

In answer to your question, here's the low down;

No kids...All grown up.
          I'll be moving there by myself first to get going with the job.
          Want to live simple (minimalist efficiency type) until I get settled.
          Not opposed to a garage apartment.
          Will be driving back to San Antonio on weekends so not too far north of Addison is better.
          AirBNB a couple different places. Actually pretty inexpensive

Comment

I might be taking a job in Addison Texas. Would need to plug in pretty quick so I'm looking for an inexpensive place to rent until I decide to put down roots.

Addison is kinda pricey so I looked around in Carrolton and Farmer's Branch. Any other suggestions on where I could look for a short term (3-6 months)?
            you might want to look in the Las Colinas area around the Toyota Music Factory. Lots of new apartments there and within walking distance to several restaurants, bars, etc. It can be as happening or quiet as you make it...

I'm in Grapevine and commute to Downtown Dallas Mon - Thur. Give me a shout when you get up here and we can meet up. Can even give you the nickel tour if you'd like.

Comment

I agree with others. If you are not moving there permanently yet don't commute. Get a place in Addison. Tons of bar and grills. If you're single, tons of hot young female professionals.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks again to everyone for your input. This is just part of my due diligence to see if I want to make the move or not.

Comment

Home of the $80k millionaires. All about show and looks. Glad I got out

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    Home of the $80k millionaires. All about show and looks. Glad I got out
                    Definitely not my style.

Comment

It will be hard to find anything cheap up there, but would you rather live cheaper and spend your spare time in traffic, or live close and do whatever you like to do with the commute time. Get here, go to work, and spend the next year figuring out where you want to live. And everyone here is right, it will be a pretty long commute if you desire to live out of the city. But you can find some secluded neighborhoods that don't have all the bustle of the city, if you look.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw_6 View Post
                        I think it is a requirement everyone who moves to Dallas to live in “The Village” - the Greenville Ave/Lovers Ln area. LOL

A bunch of apartments and close to the SMU campus. [emoji106] Probably about a 10 to 60 minute drive to Addison, depending upon how many wrecks are on 75.
                        I think everyone must try oak lawn to really experience dallas

Comment

It's official...I decided to take the job and see where life leads me.

Dallas here I come. Things just kinda fell into place a little too easily for me NOT to go.

Comment

It's official...I decided to take the job and see where life leads me.

Dallas here I come. Things just kinda fell into place a little too easily for me NOT to go.
                            Welcome

Comment

I have been around Dallas my entire life and do not understand many of the comments.
                              Traffic isn't that bad, once a year you'll get behind an accident and spend a few hours on the road, but it is definitely not common. If you work the downtown 9-5 job and live way north in Melissa you will have traffic, but your asking for it. Go in early, leave early or late and it flows freely, common sense.
                              Tollways add up so I avoid them.
                              Most areas around Addison are very nice, I stuck mainly to the 75 corridor and lived in Richardson, Plano, and Allen when I was in that area. Great areas.
                              If short term renting and no kids I would definitely stay as close as possible to work, just don't see the benefit in going further than a mile or two. Different story if buying.

Comment

Working...
                              X