No announcement yet.

Best fish fry recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut fish into finger size pieces. Dip in egg wash, dredge in 2/3 cracker meal, 1/3 flour with onion and garlic powder, black pepper to taste.

Fry at 375 until golden brown. If, you want to add salt do it after the fish is cooked.

Works great on fish from catfish to snook.

Comment

I don't care for a thick coating on my fish. I like a LIGHT coat of Louisiana mix, or finely ground cornmeal, salt, a bit of black pepper. Like my catfish lightly browned, just till it floats good. No mustard, no hot sauce, no soaking in anything.

Comment

Just plain old boring cornmeal, salt, and pepper.

Comment

Corn meal, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

I fry all kinds of fish- snapper, wahoo, grouper. Fried grouper is hard to beat. I would like to try a tile fish and see if it still has that buttery taste but I don't get enough of it.

mustard hot sauce dredge- corm meal and instant mashed taters on all of it.

Comment

bump!

Comment

The hot sauce goes on after it is fried. Bite by bite.

I like spicy food so the cornmeal always gets some More Spice Tony's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Catfish I usually soak in beer for a few hours it seems to dry up some of the fat before frying. But we like beer batter on most of our fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                      Funny how our grandparents fried fish with no mustard.
                      they didnt waste anything. Putting mustard on was a waste of time. I've tried it, and really didn't notice any difference

I soak mine in beer for a few hours before they go into the cornmeal. I mix 2 parts corn meal with 1 part flour. I add salt, pepper and garlic to that. To me, the key is cutting the filet to the right size and getting the oil to the right temp. I like small pieces that cook fast.

Comment

Homemade beer batter. Has the consistency and buttery flavor of LJS.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                          they didnt waste anything. Putting mustard on was a waste of time. I've tried it, and really didn't notice any difference

I soak mine in beer for a few hours before they go into the cornmeal. I mix 2 parts corn meal with 1 part flour. I add salt, pepper and garlic to that. To me, the key is cutting the filet to the right size and getting the oil to the right temp. I like small pieces that cook fast.
                          I tried doing the flour mixed with cornmeal before. I think the flour keeps the cornmeal from sticking to the fish. Went back to all cornmeal.

Comment

I coat mine in mustard, season with a cajun style seasoning, drop them in a bowl of egg/heavy whipping cream mixture and then dredge them in flour/crushed cheez-its mix.

Comment

Originally posted by cashcropper View Post
                              Its hard to beat fresh river catfish,blue bag Louisiana fish fry, Fried in Crisco.
                              Try Frying Redfish with your recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                                Beer batter. One cup flour, one.can beer.
                                Yep---and add a bunch of Lawry's Lemon Pepper flakes---

I also use milk with a half an egg (whatever is left from the hush-puppy mix) stirred in, dip the filets, then shake in cornmeal in a bag with the Lemon Pepper flakes.

Comment

Working...
                                X