Is this common at your job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this common at your job?

Or just at mine? Why can't people get out of bed and show up to work? In 4 years I've taken 5 days off other than personal days I had acquired. And those 5 days were for funerals so it's not like I took off for a good time. Seems like every week a certain few can't make it to work 5 days in a row. And it's not just a generational thing. There are a few that are plenty old enough to know they should get to work.

I just don't get it. I have the time I can take off if needed but I have an obligation to show up. I don't understand it at all.

Half the country wants to stay on the government dole. Of the working half about 20% of those want to be on the dole and either miss work or never give em their best when they do show up.

Comment

It is probably also easier to get away with these days with the current labor shortage. I was reading this morning how unemployment may not go up much as usual as we slide into a recession. Even when business is dropping, employers may be reluctant to lay off as many people as usual because it's been so hard to find, hire and train them

Comment

5 day's in A row they would be FIRED !!

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
          5 day's in A row they would be FIRED !!
          If they showed up 5 days in a row you fire them?

Comment

I've fired someone for fraudulent FMLA claims/abuse. She was #1 in seniority with somewhere around 35 years. Always called out sick. Asked her doctor to recertify (basically asking them to confirm that this list of days off lines up with her condition), and the doctor wouldn't sign off on any of them except like 2. Bam, she gone.

Comment

The thing about it is I don't mind doing extra work to fill someone's spot every now and again. But what irks me is we all get the same amount when we get a bonus or whatever the case might be. Getting extra for not the same amount of work is what I don't like. I'm not complaining about the extra work I have to do when people miss. But I don't think people should be rewarded for slacking.

Comment

I will be retiring at age 72 in Dec. this year I have been out with pneumonia, flu, a fall accident, and a bad case of cellulitis, and I took a week of vacation when my DIL had a tumor removed from her lung. Sometimes it goes like that.
                Don't be too quick to judge.

Comment

We have a some guys that really abuse it. One of them has sort term disability insurance and uses it about every 2 years to take 6 months off.

Comment

My old coworker called in sick every Monday after the Super Bowl. Every year

Comment

If you let them get away with it, you are telling them and everyone else that it is alright to just not show up or show up late. When I was a supervisor in manufacturing, you could take your PTO almost anytime you wanted to. I really didn`t care when or how much you used. Once it was up and all used, your *****(Behind) belonged to me and when you didn`t meet the minimum requirement for attendance you were wrote up. The 3rd time it happened you were gone. No 2nd chances. They fired themselves. My favorite saying was "Every now and then, you got to shoot a hostage".

Comment

The lack of integrity, job ownership and work ethic in this country is spreading like another BAD disease. I see it from the top down. From the highest paid to the lowest.. It is beginning to look like a curse of some sort because nothing else makes any sense at all.. There is 0 accountability.

Comment

Originally posted by GMWWC View Post
                          I will be retiring at age 72 in Dec. this year I have been out with pneumonia, flu, a fall accident, and a bad case of cellulitis, and I took a week of vacation when my DIL had a tumor removed from her lung. Sometimes it goes like that.
                          Don't be too quick to judge.
                          Which I completely understand. But these younger dudes calling in with a head ache or because they can't find a babysitter I don't understand. I don't feel great every single day but I still get out of bed and assume once I get to going I'll feel better.

Some people have legit reasons for calling in sick. But these guys 10 years years younger than I am shouldn't be doing stuff like that. No offense sir, but you're 72 years old. I don't mean anything by that. But I can understand why you would call in sick before I could a man in his 20's or 30's.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                            My old coworker called in sick every Monday after the Super Bowl. Every year
                            Well that's because until the powers that be get their head on straight and move that game to Saturday, that Monday should be a holiday.

Comment

Im a fireman and we work 1 day on and two days off. Even with two days off guys show up late, unshaven, not in uniform. Generational thing? i guess it is because most of the guys that are in their 40's or up dont do these things

Comment

Working...
                              X