Drought and food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drought and food plots

Who all dry planted and who all is holding off for better rain chances? I have land in OK and tx and both have been super dry like most areas. I kicked my self when we had that good week of rain bout a month ago in North tx for not planting early. Turns out it was a good thing because it would all be dead already by now with the recent extreme heat and dry conditions. My OK place hasn't had any meaningful rain since early May. I usually try to get my plots in mid Sept so its at least sprouting in early Oct but with the constant dry conditions and no rain chances at either place in the forecast I find myself waiting. Now trying to decide whether to dry plant and let it sit until rain finally comes and hope the birds don't carry alot away or waiting until some strong chances pop up in the forecast then hope I'm not to busy to plant. Plots are gonna be very important for me this yr at both locations.

I planted about a week ago in hopes of something. I guess some moisture in the dirt has started to slightly come through. Thought I was a little early, but we shall see. I thought about redisking when we are on the verge of rain and redoing.

Comment

We didn't plant anything this year in Mills county. First time in many years. With the drought, seed and fertilizer cost, decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Comment

Waiting until mid or late October, less chance of army worm infestation. They seem to be really bad this year.

Comment

My plots are ready to plant. If it doesn’t rain by October 15 I’m planting anyway.

Comment

With only 6.4 inches of rain this year, and no subsoil moisture, I'm not wasting my money.

Comment

I planted my plot behind my house here in east TX on Sept 1, because we had some rain and were expecting more the whole next week. As it’s turned out, I’ve only got three sprinkles on it, but it’s done surprisingly well until the last week. It’s starting to dry up now.

I do food plots for other people and have 7 to do, but I’ve told them I won’t until we get some rain.
              I may not plant in Oklahoma again this year if something doesn’t change pretty fast.

Comment

We are planting Thursday. Collin county. Sending up a prayer afterwards.

Comment

I may go ahead and plant in Oklahoma this weekend since it’s harder to mobilize quickly. Prob wait on Texas since it’s only an hour away and I can run out quickly to throw it down.

Comment

Dryland, you'll be fine with rains coming later. Just plant seed, you can topdress with fertilizer later dependent on the stand or finances.

Comment

Ain’t going to rain anytime soon

Comment

Planted yesterday. Tilled the seed under to keep it from getting eaten by birds. First rain should spring it up

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                          Ain’t going to rain anytime soon
                          I am not going to disc till a rain comes. I hate to bust up the soil and dry it out even worse. We have no rain coming in the long term forecast.

Comment

I keep checking every day to see if forecast changes but still no rain in sight

Comment

2011 was the last time I wasn’t done before season started. With the prices this year, I am holding off until we have some rain in the forecast. The only thing I have done to my fields is spray.

Comment

Working...
                              X