How long to watch/worry about a dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to watch/worry about a dog?

So my dog ate some stuff off the counter he shouldn't have last Thursday night. It had metal with some sharp points in it. It was small so I'm not worried about blockage as much as damage to intestines, etc. as it passes. I have been watching him to the extent practical and worrying but I haven't seen any change in behavior, especially with eating and drinking. It has been roughly 90 hours since he did it. Am I in the clear or how long should I keep an eye on him? I would think it either would have passed or caused an issue by now. I know I can take him to a vet for xrays, etc but I would like to avoid that expense if possible. What do y'all think?

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
    So my dog ate some stuff off the counter he shouldn't have last Thursday night. It had metal with some sharp points in it. It was small so I'm not worried about blockage as much as damage to intestines, etc. as it passes. I have been watching him to the extent practical and worrying but I haven't seen any change in behavior, especially with eating and drinking. It has been roughly 90 hours since he did it. Am I in the clear or how long should I keep an eye on him? I would think it either would have passed or caused an issue by now. I know I can take him to a vet for xrays, etc but I would like to avoid that expense if possible. What do y'all think?
    If he is still eating and drinking well and there is no bloating or lethargy then I think you are probable in the clear. If no blood has shown in the stool then that is a good indicator that he likely has not intestinal damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle_Milty View Post
      If he is still eating and drinking well and there is no bloating or lethargy then I think you are probable in the clear. If no blood has shown in the stool then that is a good indicator that he likely has not intestinal damage.
      That is what I'm thinking/hoping. Definitely not lethargic as yesterday morning he went exploring trails multiple times while I was checking trail cams where I had to wait about 10 minutes for him to come back. This morning he was ready to wrestle with the other dogs as soon as he got out of his crate. He is also still stealing food off the counter as of this morning lol. I fed him and made breakfast for my son. I left the dog in his crate while I got ready for work knowing how he likes to eat off the counter. One of the other kids let him out so I got to make breakfast again (it was just some frozen waffles but still). Luckily he didn't eat my son's ADD pill I had on his plate. Or maybe that is what that **** dog needs as I have never had such a destructive hellion and I have had nothing but labs until this hound...
      Last edited by cehorn; 09-12-2022, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Probably pooped it out by now...keep some hydrogen peroxide around & pour it down it's throat next time. Instant barf fest.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          Probably pooped it out by now...keep some hydrogen peroxide around & pour it down it's throat next time. Instant barf fest.
          this and it doesn't take much. Vet had us give 3 table spoons when my dog got into some antifreeze and it worked like a champ

Comment

Feed him bread or peanut butter, it will pick up metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
              Good to know. With this dog, I've learned anything is a possibility.

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
              Feed him bread or peanut butter, it will pick up metal.
              I may try that this evening just to make sure.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Comment

He should have discharged it by now.

What in the heck did he eat with metal points in it...broadheads?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  He should have discharged it by now.

What in the heck did he eat with metal points in it...broadheads?
                  Ha. We get bacon wrapped chop steaks made from our deer. The processor (Hudson's) uses a little 2 pronged metal skewer about 2" long to hold the bacon in place. We had a couple leftover from dinner sitting on the counter and he ate them. I'm pretty sure he doesn't chew so he just swallowed everything whole.

Comment

Hmmm, I’d be worried enough about a 2” skewer that I’d have already went to the vet, but that’s just me.

Comment

Pretty sure if he pooped a 2" piece of metal you would have seen it and he would be dang sure be walking funny

Comment

Ha. We get bacon wrapped chop steaks made from our deer. The processor (Hudson's) uses a little 2 pronged metal skewer about 2" long to hold the bacon in place. We had a couple leftover from dinner sitting on the counter and he ate them. I'm pretty sure he doesn't chew so he just swallowed everything whole.
                        Those chop steaks are our favorite way to eat venison.

Comment

Whoa! Sounds like it is time to break him from eating off the counter!

Comment

Working...
                          X