Headed to The Gila!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed to The Gila!

Last year was my second year hunting elk and it was crazy good. Tons of bugles, a lot of encounters...I didn't kill but had plenty of opportunities on younger bulls, but the ranch I was on had several 320 ‐ 340" bull and we kept getting close.

This year, I was fortunate enough to draw a Gila tag for second archery. Extremely low odds to draw. I've never prepped for a hunting trip like this before...I also will likely be solo for the majority of it.

The tag is good for 9 days, and I will hunt all of them if that's what it takes.

One thing I'm excited about, I bought an ebike to help me silently cover ground. May even go at night and ride miles and listen for bugles. When I find them, pull out my Nemo tent and camp right there.

Last month, I went and scouted what I could, but got flooded out.

With the ebike, I can't decide if I should trailer a SxS out there or not. I'm leaning towards doing it, just in case as I think there is potential I can't get to a lot of starting points with the truck with all the flooding in the last month...but with a bike I may could.

It feels like being a kid waiting for Christmas! Just a few more days!
    Last edited by Bulldawg87; 09-10-2022, 03:50 PM.

If you have it, you can use it. If you don't have it, you cannot. Might get you out of a tough spot, you never know. Good luck and camp quietly if you do the stealth camping.

Comment

Congrats on the draw.

Comment

Good luck and have fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
          If you have it, you can use it. If you don't have it, you cannot. Might get you out of a tough spot, you never know. Good luck and camp quietly if you do the stealth camping.
          Thanks, that's my thought as well

Comment

Good luck !

Comment

Buena suerte!

I would take the ATV...a lot easier to haul elk out.

Comment

That’s going to be a great hunt. What unit did you draw?

Comment

Good luck and safe travels!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    Buena suerte!

I would take the ATV...a lot easier to haul elk out.
                    I'm thinking, being solo...I likely will hire a packout guy if I get one on the ground

Comment

Pack some mosquito spray, just read a gila unit 23? Report and they had lots of bugs due to the weather

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                        Pack some mosquito spray, just read a gila unit 23? Report and they had lots of bugs due to the weather
                        I saw a similar report on one of the Facebook groups. I haven't used a thermocell since I lived in Mississippi. But probably need a new one, just in case.

Comment

You might contact Graybow on here. He used to run a pack in guide service in the Gila for over 30 years. But is now retired. Has put some customers on some incredible elk over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            You might contact Graybow on here. He used to run a pack in guide service in the Gila for over 30 years. But is now retired. Has put some customers on some incredible elk over the years.
                            Appreciate that! I'll probably look him up and give it a shot

Comment

I just spent 9 days in the Gila (16B). I can confirm that there are a boatload of mosquitoes, it is warm enough that you should have a packer in mind (unless you shoot one on a road) and packers are hard to come by. I suspect they will be pretty vocal since they were not last week. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about current conditions on the north side of 16B.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X