Truck ecm repair/ refurbishment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck ecm repair/ refurbishment?

I’m helping my dad get a 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 back on the road. It sat for five years. After repairing rodent chewed wires, new fuel pump, battery, etc….I was able to get it running. Pulled the codes after a 30 minute drive and now have a P0601 code. Looks like it’s an internal ecm communication failure. Truck runs great, but can’t get it inspected until I get this fixed. Looking at pulling the ecm and shipping it to a repair shop. Anyone ever had any experience in getting an ECM repaired vs replacement with a flashed refurbished ecm?

Suggestions are welcome.

For that year model. I'd get a replacement unit from Orielly. Comes programmed typically.

Comment

following for whatever the fix is

Comment

Why can't you gat it inspected. Just in the last year I've got my daughters van inspected with the dash light on. They didn't even ask.

Comment

What the hail is ecm??? I hate acronyms!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
            What the hail is ecm??? I hate acronyms!
            Engine Control Module I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              Why can't you gat it inspected. Just in the last year I've got my daughters van inspected with the dash light on. They didn't even ask.
              I’m in an emissions area and they will fail you if the light is on.

Comment

Pull the bulb.

Comment

You are aware that they plug in the obdll reader….light or not, it throws a code and fails….

Comment

There is a place between Grand Prairie and Dallas, the sell new ones cheap, will try to find their number. I have bought 2 from them in the past.

Comment

There is a company on ebay that will refurbish it for you. Just do a search and they will probably pop up. I used them a couple years ago. I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my 04 ford, so i shipped it to them to refurb. I want to say it was like $90. They checked it and said it was all good and sent my money back as well as a note with other things to check. I was impressed.

Comment

Chrysler products can be a bear to fix ECM problems/gremlins that pop up. You will need VIN number and mileage to get a new one flashed. The old one is generally not worth the trouble to get repaired. They are VIN specific, so you can't just grab one from a salvage yard.

Comment

Working...
                        X