Mesquite Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesquite Beans

I think the beans are a good source of summer protein for deer.
    But this year my bean pods have fallen and I don’t see any mature beans in the pods. My cows are eating the pods out of the trees.
    Anyone seeing similar from this much needed source of food for deer during this drought ?

BP

Seen lots of mesquite beans on ground and on trees in Burnet County.

Comment

Ground is covered in my part of young county. Beans seem to be smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by N.DaWoods View Post
        Seen lots of mesquite beans on ground and on trees in Burnet County.
        My ground is litter with yellow pods, but no beans

Comment

Do you have hackberry bushes/trees.

Learned from our biologist they are a primary food source for deer. The biologist use the plant as a source of information of how many deer are on the property.

Comment

From what I understand, the mesquite leaves are a good source of Protein and are easily digestible as well.

May not be the deers preferred food source on wet years but right now it’s a blessing to have it in this horrible drought.

Comment

Our mesquites dropped the pods early this month but the beans inside did not develop. Noticed yesterday that the trees are developing a new set of pods. We are very dry but I guess the mesquites are liking the drought.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                My ground is litter with yellow pods, but no beans
                Same. I have not noticed any new pods. Hope the mesquites get us thru this drought I got lots of them. Not sure how many hackberries.

BP

Comment

I put a bunch of cameras out over 1000 acres aimed at hackberry bushes. Almost every one had deer pictures and they were all scattered randomly around that side of the ranch. They are the preferred food of choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those beans are a blessing during the drought!

Comment

Sh*t is getting real! pray for rain I never seen it this bad. Anybody want to buy some good young cows. Sale barn is full. Good luck with this yr hunts.

Comment

I only had a marginal bean crop in Dimmit County. Up here in Kendall County near Kendalia where I live all the oaks are dropping the acorn buds so not going to be an acorn crop around here. The deer are struggling and they sure needed those. Hoping we get some rain this fall or winter or it is going to be real ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                          Do you have hackberry bushes/trees.

Learned from our biologist they are a primary food source for deer. The biologist use the plant as a source of information of how many deer are on the property.
                          This! When we had the TPWD biologist out for setting up our wildlife exemption he pointed out that the deer will eat the hackberry leave & showed us small stunted trees that looked like bushes. Showed how the leaves are eaten & tree can't grow. Told us to leave all the hacks we could. They definitely help them through tough times. I always thought hacks were just junk trees. Now I won't cut one down.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                            This! When we had the TPWD biologist out for setting up our wildlife exemption he pointed out that the deer will eat the hackberry leave & showed us small stunted trees that looked like bushes. Showed how the leaves are eaten & tree can't grow. Told us to leave all the hacks we could. They definitely help them through tough times. I always thought hacks were just junk trees. Now I won't cut one down.
                            I've also always considered hackberry to be pure trash tree.

Comment

Only thing green on our place beside the cedars and live oaks are the mesquites. Even the cactus is turning yellow/brown. Lotta beans when I was there mid June. The bean and mesquite leaves have got to be what is keeping them them from their ribs showing. That and our feeding which is by no means heavy..

Comment

Working...
                              X