First Buck with a Bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Buck with a Bow

As our MLD season wraps up down in South Texas, I was fortunate enough to finally put an arrow in a buck. This guy was a bully and loved to fight… constantly pushing does and younger bucks around. I let one fly from 30 yards and thought the arrow flew true… as it turns out he must have jumped the string a bit.

Tracked him a good 300 yards with solid blood before I decided to back out. I was astonished that this deer was running like he was with the amount of blood I was finding. Came back 2 hours later with a fellow hunter and tracked him an additional 250-300 yards…. Solid blood everywhere. My buddy was astonished that we hadn’t found him. We start getting into some thick stuff and were about to call it off when I look left and see him 20 yards away. He had been dead for hours…

The shot hit one lung and missed his guts completely. Don’t think I would have found him if I wasn’t using a 2 blade rage broadhead. The arrow was still stuck in him upon recovery! It had crashed through this ribs and got lodged up near his spine. He must have lurched down and forward a tad as I released. Just glad I was able to find him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

600 yds shot like that. Deer amaze me.

Comment

Will to live is an impressive thing.

Comment

Congrats. I used to be a fan of Rage but not anymore. I shot a mature 9 point with a Rage Hypodermic. Quartering away, middle of the ribs and hit the offside shoulder. Shot was perfect IMO. I waited 30 minutes and started to trail. I expected to find him down within 100 yds but NO blood anywhere. Started crisscross search and still no blood. After about 45 minutes, I started glassing on the side of the hill and saw his belly, 250 yds away. No blood until I got within 10 ft of him. Arrow still in him, Broadhead blades were bent. I'm done with Rage

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
          Congrats. I used to be a fan of Rage but not anymore. I shot a mature 9 point with a Rage Hypodermic. Quartering away, middle of the ribs and hit the offside shoulder. Shot was perfect IMO. I waited 30 minutes and started to trail. I expected to find him down within 100 yds but NO blood anywhere. Started crisscross search and still no blood. After about 45 minutes, I started glassing on the side of the hill and saw his belly, 250 yds away. No blood until I got within 10 ft of him. Arrow still in him, Broadhead blades were bent. I'm done with Rage

What do you shoot now? I worry that I would have missed lung if I was shooting a fixed blade.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            600 yds shot like that. Deer amaze me.

I couldn’t believe it.

Comment

Congrats on your first one

Comment

Originally posted by Stites_Bites View Post
                What do you shoot now? I worry that I would have missed lung if I was shooting a fixed blade.

Probably going to shoot a Grim Reaper.

Comment

Congrats!!!! Glad you located him. I have used Rage broadheads for the last 17 years or so. The two deer I did not locate was poor shot placement on my part. One survived. I learned from those shots. It certainly was not the broadheads fault as some try to explain by way of a “perfect shot”. I do my best to shoot deer slightly quartering away and aim for the offside shoulder. I have not had a deer run more than 85 yards after being hit with a Rage broadhead. I say this so you can keep using them with confidence. There are also plenty of other great broadheads on the market that do the job as well. Again, congrats on taking that buck!!!

Comment

Congrats on the bow kill

Comment

Congrats!! I've killed allot of deer with Thunder head fixed blades btw.

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Congrats on a nice one.

Comment

Congrats on your first one sir.

Comment

Good work sr Stites...we’ll be around the fire tonite if ya wanna swing by.

Comment

Working...
                              X