Anyone make tallow? Smoked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never made tallow before. Took extra fat for sausage making i had left over and the fat trimmed off brisket and making tallow. Figured I would try to impart some smokey flavor by making it on the traeger. Anyone ever do this? How did it turn out? I can always move it back to the oven.

I have no clue, Clay. What do you plan to do with the tallow?

Comment

Plan is to use it as a substitute for butter or other oils. I eat scrambled eggs nearly every morning. Typically I scramble in bacon grease and they are pretty darn good.

Comment

Should be good,

Comment

It works great. You can leave it in the freezer for a long period of time and cook with it. I like to fry fish in it. Try and smoke it on something that might burn some real wood because the pellet grills don't give off enough smoke flavor to taste it well in the tallow in my opinion. Once you have enough smoke on it put it in a regular pan on the stove and cook it down until there's no more white fat visible. Everything will turn dark brown. Don't burn it. Then strain it through cheesecloth and put it in a jar and throw it in the freezer and you're good to go. I do this with the extra fat I get from every brisket I cook.
          Last edited by roysmoke; 01-15-2022, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Interesting. Let us know how it turns out!

Comment

I did some with brisket trimmings last week. Just poured it all back on when I wrapped the brisket.

Comment

We render our tallow sloowwwwww in a big pot on the stove. Put it in a jar, freeze it and use it to fry just about anything. Never tried to smoke it… interesting idea

Only oil we ever have to buy anymore wish olive oil, everything else gets cooked in tallow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here we are after 6 hours on traeger with a-maz-n smoking tube at 250. Just placed in oven at 275.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have been thinking about it. I have been using the waygu tallow and really like it. So I have stuck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
                      We render our tallow sloowwwwww in a big pot on the stove. Put it in a jar, freeze it and use it to fry just about anything. Never tried to smoke it… interesting idea

Only oil we ever have to buy anymore wish olive oil, everything else gets cooked in tallow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Have never thought about frying with it. After you render you put in a jar, then freezer? How many times do you use the same tallow/oil? I will have to try this for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
                        I have been thinking about it. I have been using the waygu tallow and really like it. So I have stuck with it.
                        After posting the OP, I went and watched a YouTube video by the mad scientist BBQ. (That is the name of their channel.) He took a tub of wagyu tallow, scooped it all out and put it in the same pan I am using, smoked it, and put it right back in the thing it came in. Maybe you could look into that.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                          Here we are after 6 hours on traeger with a-maz-n smoking tube at 250. Just placed in oven at 275.
                          Wow! That looks good enough to eat!

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                            After posting the OP, I went and watched a YouTube video by the mad scientist BBQ. (That is the name of their channel.) He took a tub of wagyu tallow, scooped it all out and put it in the same pan I am using, smoked it, and put it right back in the thing it came in. Maybe you could look into that.
                            Yes this is who I got the wagyu tallow idea from. I tried smoking it last weekend, but I had a hole in a pan and all dripped out on my rec tec smoker. But I will try this on the next one.

Comment

Darker than normal but I imagine that was the smoke. I took what I had, put the fat chunks back in the aluminum pan, mashed it with a potato masher and threw it back in the oven. Doing a convection roast at 275... hopefully there is still some tallow to be collected.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X