Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We just got one on camera just North of Uvalde

Comment

it was about 18 months ago when TPW sent an alert out that mountain lions could no longer be shot from a helicopter. I believe it was march 1 2021, because we flew our place on march 2 that year, and the pilot said it just came out the day before.

Comment

Originally posted by wtx223 View Post
        You can hunt lions now. Making them a game animal with a season will not increase hunting opportunities. In fact, probably decrease opportunity because of time restraints due to “season”.

More lions=less deer, elk, aoudad, sheep etc to hunt.
        Originally posted by wtx223 View Post
        Study could show a huge lion population and it would not matter to the people behind this petition. They have an agenda, and if tpwd does not give in to them, they will try other ways to get this passed.

Lions populations are thriving between absentee landowners, less trapping, less hound hunting, less cattle ranchers etc.

Sharing pictures with these people, not a chance. And I get a picture a week of a different lion at least.
        Exactly, Jim. The people behind this don't care about lion populations. They just want to find a way to start chipping away at hunting and trapping and landowner rights to protect livestock. This proposal should get ZERO support from hunters and rational people in general.

Comment

Im sure the Deep in The Heart Documentary that was released this summer also helped spread the propaganda of trapping/killing of mountain lions.

It was a good film about Texas and its species but they were certainly spreading an agenda.

***Edit - just realized this was covered in an earlier post**

Comment

[quote=Hills of Texas;16430894]
            Originally posted by Big pig View Post

Yea really. I know more about lions in Texas than most. I’ve got some personal history with keeping up on them since I was a kid.
            I've searched for your story but either it's gone or I suk at searching (probably the later).
            Could you please re-post your story.

Thanks

Comment

I was the first person to be attacked in Big Bend National Park when I was a kid. Took 14 operations to put back in one piece.

Comment

It's the creation of a broad spectrum advisory committee that bothers me. This is how they all start - animal rights wackos join the committee and slowly push out the factual biologists, landowners, etc. Then they start recommending more and more restrictions on hunting certain species, then they recommend changes in the laws. Whether or not the committee goes forward, we need to be diligent in making sure our reps and TPWD KNOW where we stand on all issues.

Comment

I don’t know anything about mountain lions.
                  So I’m out of this. But I don’t think there are too many in this goat/sheep area Of central Texas.

For the record, I kill every varmint, predator and fawn/turkey killer I can on our place.
                  Last cougar I saw was in Webb County 3 yrs ago. Really big ranch. Ranch manager was surprised and shocked as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                    It's the creation of a broad spectrum advisory committee that bothers me. This is how they all start - animal rights wackos join the committee and slowly push out the factual biologists, landowners, etc. Then they start recommending more and more restrictions on hunting certain species, then they recommend changes in the laws. Whether or not the committee goes forward, we need to be diligent in making sure our reps and TPWD KNOW where we stand on all issues.
                    I totally get where you're coming from but also expect this will likely go the same way the bow fishing studies did. TPWD is know for doing a study, tossing the data in the trash and doing what they wanted to from the get-go.

Comment

The fact that people from "non hunting" groups are on the committee should tell you what's going to happen.

Comment

`If TPWD is doing it then it will get screwed up. Our tax dollars are paying for their screw up with the small mouth bass/Guadalupe bass fiasco right now.

Comment

dont cali my texas

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                          More lions are in Texas now that 50 years ago. They do well enough when left alone. Keep things the way they are and they will do just fine. This is California come to Texas crap.
                          100% this, Plenty of cats but does not mean your kids will ever see one!

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMike View Post
                            If this is allowed, you open a Pandera's Box for other "Non-Hunter" (anti-hunter) groups to infiltrate Texas with Regulations intent on the obstruction of hunting anything. The Friends of Coyotes Coalition, Feral Hogs United, The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty of Racoons, etc, etc! Do not California my Texas!!!
                            ^^ *

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                            I totally get where you're coming from but also expect this will likely go the same way the bow fishing studies did. TPWD is know for doing a study, tossing the data in the trash and doing what they wanted to from the get-go.
                            Don't let past performance confuse future predictions. Society is in a constant state of flux and just because the laws went one way several years ago doesn't mean it will continue on the same path.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                              ^^ *

Don't let past performance confuse future predictions. Society is in a constant state of flux and just because the laws went one way several years ago doesn't mean it will continue on the same path.
                              Speaking of the word hope, anyone know anything about the new guy running TPWD? Is he gonna be better than the last guy? Won't take much.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                                Speaking of the word hope, anyone know anything about the new guy running TPWD? Is he gonna be better than the last guy? Won't take much.
                                Is this him?

On a late December evening in 2013, Texas Parks and Wildlife Game Warden Chris Fried was bowhunting from a tree stand in the vast Cooper Wildlife Management Area, about 70 miles northeast of Dallas, …

Comment

Working...
                                X