Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

transporting elk meat and head from Colorado to texas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So with all the CWD zones and what not yall that have been successful in CO in a CWD zone how did you prep your meat and head for transport back if driving?

Make sure the head has no skin, brains, eyes, anything other than bone.
    Meat can be quartered, bone in.
    Got me in Dalhart 3 yrs ago on the interstate and it turned into a 4 hr delay.
    No ticket, they cleaned the head for me, and made fill out a form.

Comment

Download the OA app and it has the instructions for transporting animals from states where CWD has been found. Follow those instructions.

Last edited by SmTx; 10-03-2022, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
        Download the OA app and it has the instructions for transporting animals from states where CWD has been found. Follow those instructions.

I'm pretty sure Colorado law allows you to bone out your elk/deer, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
          Make sure the head has no skin, brains, eyes, anything other than bone.
          Meat can be quartered, bone in.
          Got me in Dalhart 3 yrs ago on the interstate and it turned into a 4 hr delay.
          No ticket, they cleaned the head for me, and made fill out a form.
          Heck, 4hrs is shorter than it would take to clean the skull.......

Comment

Dumb rule

Comment

Great question for our of state hunters.

Headed to Missouri in a few weeks and been wondering the same thing.

Comment

Make sure its all hidden lol

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                  I'm pretty sure Colorado law allows you to bone out your elk/deer, doesn't it?
                  Yes, I believe you're correct. But once it enters Texas, CO laws no longer apply. So I think to be 100% legal for transport home, you have to follow Texas laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltyag15 View Post
                    Yes, I believe you're correct. But once it enters Texas, CO laws no longer apply. So I think to be 100% legal for transport home, you have to follow Texas laws.
                    The rule about quartering animals in Texas only applies to deer and pronghorn killed in Texas.

If you kill an elk in Colorado, be sure to follow their rules. Now Texas does have CWD restrictions on what you can bring into Texas.

Here's from the Outdoor Annual:
                    Deer and Pronghorn-A deer and pronghorn may be skinned and quartered (two forequarters, two hindquarters, and two backstraps) for transport, provided the quartered deer or pronghorn is tagged and proof of sex accompanies the deer or pronghorn. See Cold Storage or Processing Facility for exceptions.

Deer or pronghorn may only be processed beyond quarters at a location that qualifies as a final destination.

Comment

You can bone out your meat. The biggest issue is the skull. Find someone to boil it. easy enough.

Hell it makes more sense to leave the bones where you killed it than bring it home.

OP, if you want to be really safe, just call TPWD. That's what I did, and that is what I was told.

Comment

We DONT live in California… yet.

It’s real simple just print the waiver and fill it out. It nothing more saying you are taking the head to xyz taxidermist
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          You can bone out your meat. The biggest issue is the skull. Find someone to boil it. easy enough.

Hell it makes more sense to leave the bones where you killed it than bring it home.

OP, if you want to be really safe, just call TPWD. That's what I did, and that is what I was told.

So yesterday I called my local game warden and presented him with the question. His explanation to me was that whatever laws Colorado has I can follow their laws and Texas GW’s would go by the laws for CO. So I brought up what I had read in the outdoor annual and he said all I have to do is pull up the Colorado regs and show them and I am good. Not confident in the info I was given by him at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                            We DONT live in California… yet.

It’s real simple just print the waiver and fill it out. It nothing more saying you are taking the head to xyz taxidermist

I have printed this form out already and will be taking it with me as my game plan for the head is exactly this now at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricochet83 View Post
                              So yesterday I called my local game warden and presented him with the question. His explanation to me was that whatever laws Colorado has I can follow their laws and Texas GW’s would go by the laws for CO. So I brought up what I had read in the outdoor annual and he said all I have to do is pull up the Colorado regs and show them and I am good. Not confident in the info I was given by him at all.

No Texas GW is going to say anything about a boned out animal from CO, especially since it’s an elk is an exotic in TX. Just make sure you keep proof of sex attached to what ever ham you put the carcass tag on for convenience for CO GW if checked. Make sure you also fill out the wavier I posted and you will be good.

Don’t over stuff coolers with meat make sure plenty of room for meat.

Good luck and be safe

Comment

Working...
                              X