No announcement yet.

Illegal knives.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only restriction I see in the penal code is 5 1/2" blade and it is a location restriction; bars, churches, courts, jails, schools, etc. For Texas anyway.
    Last edited by hpdrifter; 09-24-2022, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Check out Www.akti.org for auto knife laws. They are still illegal in some states.

Comment

Things have changed the last couple years so you’ll want to take a close look. more cutting tools are legal now than used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          Yep, I had one and carried it to school..not to be tough, but just because we thought they were cool back in the day. We would even open them in class. Nobody was afraid for their life even though those things were no good for anything but stabbing someone. They weren't sharp.

I thought they were cool too and was surprised when my dad brought one home for me. Then I pushed the button and a comb popped out. He really thought that was funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
            Things have changed the last couple years so you’ll want to take a close look. more cutting tools are legal now than used to be.
            Key words, “cutting tools”

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
              I saw a gravity knife I'd like to have but from what I've seen and read they're illegal to carry in most States but legal to own. What dictates whether a knife is illegal and why? If you're able to buy them how could they be illegal? I've never once had a cop ask to see my pocket knife so is it really even a law that is upheld? The whole thing just doesn't make sense. Open assist knives ain't any different than a switchblade. And you can't open a butterfly knife any faster than you can a lockback folder. Seems like outdated or made up laws nobody put much thought into.
              Somebody years ago, was scared some bad person was going to do bad things to them with a particular item, so they made a law making those items illegal, so the scared people now feel safer.

Back in the 70s in many movies, the bad guys, that did bad things, carried switch blades. Then in the 80s in numerous movies, the bad guys had butter fly knives. So those had to be made illegal.

It's like barrel length laws and suppressor laws, somebody got scared that a bad man was going to come and kill them with a short barreled gun or a suppressed gun, because they saw one in a movie, and it really scared them. So again they made stupid laws, so they feel safer.

Never heard of a gravity knife. I would assume you point the knife downwards and push a button and the blade drops out? Yeah, that's scary, those need to be made illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                I thought they were cool too and was surprised when my dad brought one home for me. Then I pushed the button and a comb popped out. He really thought that was funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                LOL! I remember the switchblade combs.

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
                  I travel for work. Some states an assisted opening is legal an auto is not. I think Illinois for one and we have an office there.
                  You are correct. I didn’t know we were discussing the laws in 50 different states.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                    A lot of laws contradict themselves.

1. Convenient stores sell glass smoking pipes legally. It seems the minute they go in someone’s pocket or vehicle they become drug paraphernalia/contraband.

2. Hunt a field for waterfowl and use steel shot only. Hunt the same field the same day for doves and you can use lead.

The list goes on and on.
                    There is no contradiction under #1 and I am fairly certain the steel shot is a forced federal law.

Nothing is listed as paraphernalia just like a knife is not a deadly weapon until you use it as such.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                      Somebody years ago, was scared some bad person was going to do bad things to them with a particular item, so they made a law making those items illegal, so the scared people now feel safer.

Back in the 70s in many movies, the bad guys, that did bad things, carried switch blades. Then in the 80s in numerous movies, the bad guys had butter fly knives. So those had to be made illegal.

It's like barrel length laws and suppressor laws, somebody got scared that a bad man was going to come and kill them with a short barreled gun or a suppressed gun, because they saw one in a movie, and it really scared them. So again they made stupid laws, so they feel safer.

Never heard of a gravity knife. I would assume you point the knife downwards and push a button and the blade drops out? Yeah, that's scary, those need to be made illegal.
                      Some gravity knives are made that way. This one I would like to buy is made a little different but it's the same concept. It's called a Reate EXO. Really cool design. The only thing I'm on the fence about is where it's made. I think it's probably a pretty well made knife for over $200 but I'm leary of anything that has China on it. And they may make better knives than they used to in some cases but I've always been an American made or German made knife guy.

For any real serious use anyways.
                      Last edited by okrattler; 09-24-2022, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        ….. Back in the 70s in many movies, the bad guys, that did bad things, carried switch blades. Then in the 80s in numerous movies, the bad guys had butter fly knives. So those had to be made illegal….
                        I believe those laws were in effect way before the 70s and 80s…. unless you are talking about the 1880s.

Comment

Working...
                        X