Fawn Recruitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fawn Recruitment

We did our aerial survey yesterday and my fawn to doe ratio was 73%. My biologist told me it was the highest % he has seen in San Saba County. Almost all of my fawns were born in a Deer Management Pen (DMP). Two of my neighbors, also high fenced, had less than 30% each, no DMP. Just wondering what everyone else is seeing out there.

Talked to a guy yesterday, said their crop was prob 20% now.
    Said does dried up and left babies to starve due to the drought. Their ranch in Thurber.

Comment

We have 8 yard does that come up everyday. I watched them all spring and summer getting fatter and fatter, then watched them "bag up" and was expecting them all to fawn and see the little ones everywhere. Well, we ended up only having 2 successful mothers, one with twins and one single. The others just went skinny again and nothing. This is on 400 LF acres...... have not paid much attention to the non yard deer, but have only seen a few fawns otherwise.....

Comment

I run cameras year around. On and off bait sites and cover a lot of habitat all year. I’ve seen 2 fawns all year from probably close to 20-25 different doe of breeding age

It ain’t good in my area

Comment

I've had 0 fawn pics this year on our place in Cooke County.

Comment

Statewide average will be below 30% this year.
            On the Llano ranch we observed 13% fawn production. The South Texas ranch did better @ 59% because I let the DMP does raise their fawns in the pen and held them as long possible.

Comment

I have seen no fawns on my place this year in Gonzales county

Comment

Only 85 acres at my house, but only one fawn on camera. We have lots of coyotes to add to the drought. We have a least one set of twins as of a week ago on a 350 acre lease 15/20 miles away. That’s fairly normal for where I hunt, lots of coyotes both places.

Comment

Fawn Recruitment

We have a group of 7 does that hang out at the house . I seen 4 fawns to start with . Now that ya mention it I haven’t seen any fawns in the last 3 or 4 weeks .
                  Last edited by Strummer; 09-23-2022, 11:52 AM.

Comment

We haven’t flewn yet but talking to some pilot buddies, they haven’t seen much good this year.

Comment

I've got a group of 7-10 does in the backyard and I've got 5 fawns I see fairly regularly. We have some coyotes but these are very non pressured deer so I'm sure my small sampling size is not typical at all.

Comment

Had 1 pic early spring. None since in western young county.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                          We have a group of 7 does that hang out at the house . I seen 4 fawns to start with . Now that ya mention it I haven’t seen any fawns in the last 3 or 4 weeks .
                          I had seen 3 fawns but haven't seen them in the last 4 weeks or so as well. At what point are they able to live on their own? What's the danger zone? Like I said, I was seeing them thrive a month ago, but haven't seen them since.

Comment

I have yet to see a fawn this year at my place in Dimmit County. It is all natural deer with no pens or any kind of breeding facility.

Comment

We are estimating 25% survival in San Pat/Refugio Co.

Comment

Working...
                              X