Ground blind vs saddle hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground blind vs saddle hunting

What gives you the best opportunity to shoot a deer?

I feel like saddle hunting is the obvious answer since you are more out of the line of sight of deer. Is it that much of a difference? Would be for public land.

Both have their pros/cons.

Saddle pros
    Light/comfortable/packable/perfect for the run and gun style hunter
    Cons
    Definitely a learning curve/expensive-ish/

Blind pros
    Has the ability to help with cover scent/most comfortable as it allows for generous movement/simple as get in and zip up.
    Cons
    Need time to set/brush in/need the right setup.

I've used both and enjoyed both but if I HAD to pick one, it would easily be in a ground blind.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

I like to scout my way in to a set up for the hunt. I think the saddle system is more ideal for that method. Carrying the ground blind through the thick stuff and not knowing exactly how far in you’re going is a huge disadvantage. I think if you’re not going to hunt elevated you might as well make a ground blind out of brush.

Comment

I refuse to use ground blinds. Every position sucks after a while. If it is warm everything itches. limited vision.
        I have had great success with a ghost blind over a pop up.
        Saddle is a great way to go in many parts of the state, If you will be hunting public land you cannot use spikes to climb. If you are going saddle on public land start practicing climbing now. Especially, if you will be using a method that requires an aider. It did not come natural to me but I am now fairly proficient. I will be using a saddle as I drew archery at richland creek this year.

Comment

As said above they are 2 totally different animals. But after hunting last season from the saddle it is my go to on public for sure. But everything has its place. First public deer I killed was from the ground sitting against a tree using downed limbs as my blind. Killed him at 14 yards. Location will tell you which route to go in my opinion. I have a saddle for sale in the classifieds also if interested .

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I use and enjoy both.

Comment

Appreciate the advice, and I will keep you in mind, ChickenWilly. Looks like a good deal to dip my toe in the water.
              Last edited by ctom87; 09-14-2022, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                Appreciate the advice, and I will keep you in mind, ChickenWilly. Looks like a good deal to dip my toe in the water.
                Yes sir the one I'm selling is everything you need besides climbing sticks/steps and a platform. I pieced this one together since it was my first one but most of the kits with the ropes and whatnot are closer to 300 and up now. I'd still be using this one if I hadn't won a different one in a raffle recently

Comment

If I had to pick, I would go ground blind, even though saddles are way more versatile than hang on stands, you still need the right tree with the right view. Ground blind you can make work anywhere.

That said, both have their place, saddle hunting is way more fun imo

Comment

For public land, I will never hunt on the ground again. Cant see well enough, animals know instantly when it is new to the area, everyone else knows where you hunt, and if you see deer everyone will hunt it when you leave.

This will be my first year in the saddle but have hunted many years on public using a climber. In, up, hunt, down leave. Rinse and repeat as desired. I think that if you know how to read deer sign, and can find things like pinch points, travel corridors between food and bedding, and other terrain features, then you will always be able to set up and have the advantage of height. Not all of those are readily available to set up a pop up blind without destroying the feature you are trying to hunt.

Comment

Saddle all day. If I need to be on the ground then I will just use natural cover.

Comment

If I do this I am making my own platform. Is bigger always better? I have sz 13 feet and belly. I am not as limber as I once was.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                          If I do this I am making my own platform. Is bigger always better? I have sz 13 feet and belly. I am not as limber as I once was.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
                          I am a full figured fella myself but only an 11 boot. I have the xop platform and it has been plenty big for me. Can't remember off the top of my head the dimensions of it. But as big as you can comfortably haul in and out definitely wouldn't make you less comfortable!

Comment

Ive been hunting from a turkey blind while sitting in a turkey chair. This blocks most of your movement, allows for 360 degree visibility and you can pick up and move in minutes. As an added bonus, this setup is very comfortable. Ive killed more deer from these set ups over the past 5 years than any other method. Oh yeah and this set up is cheap, 60 bucksish.

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenWilly View Post
                              I am a full figured fella myself but only an 11 boot. I have the xop platform and it has been plenty big for me. Can't remember off the top of my head the dimensions of it. But as big as you can comfortably haul in and out definitely wouldn't make you less comfortable!

Good to hear. I saw a video of a guy making one, amd he wanted his 2nd one to be smaller than his first. Didn't make sense to me!

Comment

Working...
                              X