Got a little corn dust in my feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a little corn dust in my feeder

I was able to obtain corn from my neighbor, a farmer. The corn was not cleaned which was fine, considering it was free. I filled a few barrels.

I built a screen to take out the large stalks and cobs to prevent them from stopping my timer. Yes, there was a lot of dust but I didn't think it was a problem. I may have to rethink that.

hmm

Actually, we already improved the screening. We started with 1/4" hardware cloth to filter the big stuff. Then I added micro hardware cloth under it and built a stand with the screens angled.

Homemade screen system to clean corn from the fields for deer feeders.

I need to add side rails to keep the kernels on the mesh but the system works well. The run to the barrel actually pivots up and down so I can fill a variety of barrels but I can also raise the cleaner up to create a steeper angle to the barrel.

Here is the before cleaning:

After cleaning:

Too bad I filled that feeder before I removed the dust. It might be worth going back to re-clean it.

Weevil dust

Comment

Don't worry about the dust. As it spins out, the wind catches it & blows it far & wide. It smells like corn.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
        Weevil dust
        weevil poop
        Hogs love it

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
          weevil poop
          Hogs love it

Yup on the weevils.....

Comment

x2 on the wind. Both deer and hogs will pick up the scent. Let the wind do its thing !

Comment

Originally posted by Ray McGaughey View Post
              Don't worry about the dust. As it spins out, the wind catches it & blows it far & wide. It smells like corn.
              Learn'um something Ray.. Nothing like a good dust cloud when she spins !!!

Comment

I have ran some like that before but do not put out more then a months worth as it will get moisture and then you have a heck of a mess

Comment

So THAT is where the screen name came from!

Like you, I'd be hesitant to throw through my spinners. Little bit of moisture and you've got a mess on your hands. Cool deal.

Comment

No doubt that weevil poop will turn to a solid cake when the moisture gets to it. Been there done that too many times. As bad or worse than swelled up protein pellets.

Comment

A little dust doesn't bother me but excessive dust and weevils in my feeder will lead to a nice weevil farm and a caked up clogged funnel over time usually. Especially for us that keep their feeder full year round...

Comment

Being free I would just crank up the feed time and keep an eye on it if you can.

Comment

Weevil poop turns into asphalt over time !

Comment

I would just lower the spinner plate and let it rain. I can appreciate it being free, but that is a lot of work vs just bitting the bullet on overpriced sack corn.

Comment

Hahahahahahaa!! All y'all WRONG!!

That is not weevil dust! It is diatomaceous earth! There are NO weevils in my corn! Trust me on this! The diatomaceous earth was mixed in when we filled the barrels. The corn in the bag in my shed, it is loaded with weevils, but not this.

So, technically, the dust is corn and diatomaceous earth. It is so thick about half of what comes out is corn and the rest is dust. I just increased the spin time.

And Ramrod - We figured out it was $1300 of corn. It only takes 15-20 minutes to clean a barrel of corn, so yeah, I'll take my free corn and clean it.
                              Last edited by Dusty Britches; 08-30-2022, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X