No announcement yet.

Unreal Hunting/Fishing Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We where on lake houston about 25 yrs ago fishing. Me and a buddy took the 10 ft flat bottom in to a slew off the main lake. We was easin threw bass fishin. When we got to the end, it made a right and kinda opened up. We saw the biggest anaconda on a log sunin. It was about twice as big as the boat. We put that lil boat on plane with paddles.

Comment

First doe I ever shot with my bow. I was 11, had a darton bow set on about 35lbs. Had her at 15 yards, when I let the arrow go, she wheeled and it hit her right at the base of her ear. She went down and started bleating and going nuts. I didnt know what to do, didnt have a knife with me, so I emptied my quiver into her. And every time I drew my bow back I had my left index finger on the arrow to hold the arrow on the rest, so those rocky mountain broadheads cut my finger every time I drew back. I can still envision that hunt in my mind and that was 39 years ago

Comment

First compound bow was a Hoyt, pretty sure it was a target bow, had a bright blue riser and black limbs. Was elk hunting in Montana with my brother. I heard his arrow bouncing off some trees just above me on a ridge we were walking. I figured he missed an elk so I got ready because I heard something coming my way. It was a big black bear and when he got broadside about 15 yds away I tried to tuck it right behind that front shoulder blade. Must have center punched that front leg bone and my arrow ended up bouncing off him and halfway back to my feet. The aluminum gamegetter arrow looked like an "S" and my Zwickey broadhead was curled over like an elf's shoe. So close, I was so disappointed.

Comment

The first buck that i killed with a bow, was coming in from left to right. When I drew, he spotted the movement and looked straight at me. I decided to go ahead and shoot, but as soon as I released the arrow, the buck spun 180 degrees. Ended up being a perfect quartering away hit but on the exact opposite side from what I had shot at.

Comment

Salmon lake Idaho.

We drove up carrying a trailer with a small jon boat on the roof. Get to our cabin and unload clothes, food etc. Dad and head down to the lake to put the boat in. While we're untying the boat getting the motor out of trailer and all that we notice not a single person is outside. I looked up to the restaurant on the water to see 10-15 people looking out the window. We cant figure out why folks are staring and continue to put the boat in the water.

The next day these men on the boat dock ask if we are the guys from Texas? Yes, why do you ask? Yall are crazier than we thought. Apparently there had been a large black bear digging in the garbage not 20 feet from us that we never saw. They just assumed we didnt care about the bear being there.

Pops killed a small rattlesnake with a boat paddle the next day. We brought that snake and a limit of rainbows to the cleaning table. The legend continued.

Comment

When I was about 10 or 11 we had a big place leased north of Brackettville, 13k acres was the most we had leased at one time. My dad and his buddies had it since I was born so I grew up going out there. My dad was the lease manager and always had friends and family coming out to hunt so he was always playing "guide". That meant most of our "hunts" were dropping people off at stands and posting up in the rack he had welded in the bed of one of the old deer lease trucks he had at the time and just corning an area out of the way. Well this evening was no different and just about the last 30 minutes of light we decided to ease our way back to the area we had dropped people off and there was a big doe standing under a tree about 100 yards off the road. We hadn't shot a deer yet that year so my dad hops out, rests the gun across the hood and drops the doe right where she stood with a headshot. We pull up, my dad throws the doe in the bed of the truck and me and my younger brother are sitting in the high rack and look back and half of the deers head is pretty much gone. We start driving and get about 10 minutes down the road and I turn around to look at the deer again and this time it's standing up in the bed of the truck and the lower half of it's jaw is pretty much gone. We start banging on the hood of the roof of the truck to get our dads attention and he tells us to hush up, were running late to pick people up. Finally we had carried on enough that he stops the truck to get out and probably sternly tell us to quit carrying on but when he gets out he notices the deer standing underneath us.

For one reason or another and I can't remember why, he had shot his only bullet we had for that gun at that doe. So dad tells us to stay right there and he gets in the bed of the truck with the doe with his knife and goes to hand to hoof combat with this thing. He's able to wrestle her down into the bed and right when he sticks the knife in her neck to put an end to her, it was like he had shot stuck her with adrenaline. She went to kicking and flopping and they both went out of the bed with a thud. At this point were screaming and worried that dad was hurt but he got back up and they were facing off again. She still has the knife in her neck and dad is trying to figure out what he's going to do.

I need to make note that the road that we are currently on is a divider between our lease and another lease our same landowner has leased out to a group that we haven't met. About this time a truck comes down the road and it's a lease member and his wife that has been on the lease with us for only a year or two. My dad stops them because their daughters are in the car and he doesn't want them to see what's going on and horrify them. He goes up to the car and asks for one of their guns to put and end to all this and the wife hops out with her gun swinging it all around saying she's going to shoot it. She's swinging it and pointing it in the air right at us. My dad has some choice words for her and grabs it out of her hand. Goes over to the doe and puts an end to her suffering and hands the unloaded gun to the woman's husband and they leave.

No sooner had they left when another truck we didn't recognize pulls up and two big country boys hop out and ask wth we are doing shooting deer on their lease. These guys had some liquid courage in them and were looking to get in a fight. You see when the doe had come out of the bed she was now standing on the side of the road that was their lease. My dad is trying to explain to them what happened but they weren't believing it nor were wanting to. At this point he has finally had enough, tells them to kick rocks and call the landowner if they want, he loads up the doe as they are hollaring threats and we go and pickup the rest of our hunters. The following day dad got a call from the landowner who loved dad and he had the two big angry lessees from the day before at her house and they wanted to have a conversation. Dad went over there, the landowner basically told the two other guys that she believed dad and they could get over it or get off. That experience really effected my dad and his enjoyment of deer hunting after that. I think it was almost 20 years after that until he ever shot another deer. We've remained on leases for the most part since then but he just went to cook and have the comradery.

Comment

We were duck hunting up in Arkansas and were having a pretty good morning and were just laying the ducks out on the stand as the dog would bring them back. A duck that had been shot, retrieved and was motionless/dead for a solid hour proceeded to fly off. Unfortunately for him we had another group working so everyone had their guns ready and my brother caught this duck out of the corner of his eye making a get away and shot it once more.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde12 View Post
                  We were duck hunting up in Arkansas and were having a pretty good morning and were just laying the ducks out on the stand as the dog would bring them back. A duck that had been shot, retrieved and was motionless/dead for a solid hour proceeded to fly off. Unfortunately for him we had another group working so everyone had their guns ready and my brother caught this duck out of the corner of his eye making a get away and shot it once more.
                  Saw a duck fly out of a boat at the ramp one morning while guy was getting his truck.

Dad shot a big boat hog one day with his now and spined him. When he went to shoot him again, from 8-10 yards, arrow bounced off of his shoulder and landed between us. Twice. Rage broadhead, 70lb elite GTO.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

I took a long shot on an antelope in New Mexico 4 years ago. He was broadside when I released the arrow, as the arrow was in flight he turned to face me and I hit him in the forehead killing him on the spot. No one has ever been more surprised than I was when that antelope hit the dirt right then and there.

Comment

^^^^Lol….that’ll do it!!

Comment

We were out duck hunting the opening weekend of duck season down here in texas. THere were about 4 of us in a blind and the morning had been pretty slow. A group of snow geese flew over our heads really high up and I decided to take a pop shot at one. Well i hit one and it went down but really slowly and was able to glide far away. We looked for the **** goose for 45 min before giving up. We went back to the blind and continued our duck hunt and about 30 minutes later that snow goose came walking up to the blind door and just looked at us. It just stood there about 5' from the blind. I think it just wanted to be finished off. So that's what I did. That was one of the best tasting goose.

Comment

I have a few. Most involve coyotes and coyote hunting.

About 5-6 years ago we were hunting a tournament out of our high top and me and my buddy from down the road who I have been hunting with for 25 years now had called one up to about 80 yds and when I whistled to stop him in front of the truck I shot. Well come to find out both of us pulled the trigger at the exact same time on that coyote and neither one of us knew the other had shot till we both racked our rifles. Went down to pick him up and our bullet holes were less than a 1/4” apart from each other.

Have watched that same buddy nail a coyote with a head shot at 150 yds running full bore across an old ag field and nailed him mid jump across an old concrete irrigation ditch and folded him up inside of it.

Seen him also hit a mule deer doe square in the back of the head running full tilt away at 75 yds with that same rifle. Old rem 788 .243.

I have personally seen a coyote with a baseball sized hole in his heart and lungs from a .270 get up and run 100 yds then roll up and die a second time.

Seen another one get smacked perfectly with a .22-250 with 55 gr federal soft points perfectly in the shoulder at 40 yds. Laid over stone cold dead did the tail twitch crapped and ****** on itself whole thing it’s stone cold dead. Give it 5 more minutes of calling go to retrieve it and it is gone. Blood trail leads off into brush… we follow it for 50 yds and lose it.

Out rabbit hunting one night and I will swear up and down my brother and my buddy had their .22 bullets collide mid flight to the rabbit causing them to spark mid air.

Have seen my dad kill 3 dove with one shell mid flight. And I have had multiple 2fers but thats probably pretty common.

Back in the early 90s with witnesses also killed a 3 man limit of ducks with 3 shells. They hunted for 20 minutes and were headed home for the day.

I can’t count how many rabbits we have killed with .22s running wide open out to 200 yds in less than 3 shots. But we also used to go out and kill 60-80 in 4 hrs every Friday and Saturday night off of cotton fields so we were **** good shots back in those days.

Hit a jack rabbit one night with my .204 Ruger at 40 yds after not seeing jack all night hunting for coyotes and hit him square at the base of the neck and his head popped off clean and flew 3 foot in the air.

Watched my brother shooting at a Tom turkey with his bow in some brush. He was to the left and a hen was standing 2-3 feet off to his right. Hit a small twig about 3/4 of the way to him and that arrow deflected and nailed that hen right in the neck. Just about decapitated it. Luckily the county allowed for hens to be shot that time of year and he had a tag for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                            My dad use to scuba dive every chance he got. He swears to this day he was near the dam (horrible place to scuba dive) and saw multiple catfish bigger than him. He's 6ft 4. I've never been completely convinced. His story has never wavered over the last 30yrs. This was in Belton and Stillhouse Lakes.
                            That story is attached to all the big lakes in texas

Comment

I got a bunch more but several probably need a few more years for statute of limitations to kick in. But I have seen several birds get plucked out of the air with a .22 rifle in flight and they were all delicious after words and one with an AK it was best eating out of the bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow lots of bow head shots!
                                Believe it or not
                                My first x-bow kill , I let one fly @ a broadside doe , drilled her right in the temple, DRT

My buddy looked at me and said “ dang that thing is accurate “
                                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-30-2022, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X