No announcement yet.

Shredding the Pasture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do a lot of shredding but mostly roads and right of ways. I never shred from March to Sept. I can tell you though if I have good ground moisture after mowing the deer flock to the new bufflegrass regrowth for a few weeks after mowing.

Comment

I don’t have any recent photos of the pasture. Here is a picture from December 2020.

Last summer the grass was over 6’ tall is some areas. Obviously this year it is quite a different story. I don’t plan on shredding at all until we get some rain, right now all the grass is laying down. I just wanted to see what most people thought was the best time to do it.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by A Click; 08-16-2022, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I shred as late as possible before season starts
        Usually around end September

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
          Dont you think thats unsafe? Maybe a beer or 2 over a couple hours is ok. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Oh snap! I really don't partake lol

Let me clarify! Yes "high", atleast 12 inches. And I switched to flail...
          Last edited by camoclad; 08-17-2022, 04:55 AM.

Comment

I would wait until late October/early November to shred if you can.

Solely for wildlife benefit, it’s hard to beat shredding and disking in strips across your pasture. Leave some strips between un-altered. It keeps multiple stages of plant succession on your place and maximizes food plant diversity and edge habitat. Do it at irregular intervals and swap direction with your rows every couple years. It’s ugly, but the wildlife love it. Spot-treatment with herbicide and/or burning every few years can keep woody species out, if that’s a goal.
            Last edited by 30-30; 08-17-2022, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Grass was put on this earth to be grazed by animals. Not grazing can be just as detrimental as over grazing, over time.

Just shredding alone will not get it done for a healthy environment. You will have to burn or graze it or hay it or some thing to remove the excess forage.

A healthy amount of grazing will help your wildlife.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
                So deer eat ragweed? I thought it was bitter. I wish they would get busy on mine. I hate that stuff.
                My goats love it and they eat pretty much what deer eat..

Comment

Thanks for all of the advise. I will have to come up with a game plan for the fall. Now if we could only get some rain!!

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                    My goats love it and they eat pretty much what deer eat..
                    Ragweed seed is about 47% protein. Nothing comes close.

I don't think deer eat much of it, as the protein is hard to get to. I know it's crazy but if you could combine it and pellet it and put it in a feeder, I think it would be gangbusters. Just a theory.

You would prolly need a epipen at hand though. Lol

Comment

Working...
                    X