OTC Elk Hunt Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTC Elk Hunt Advice

My dad and I are looking into planning an elk hunt for 2023. We are leaning towards an OTC Colorado hunt. Possibly considering a drop camp hunt. Any advice as far as area, outfitter, etc. would be appreciated. Will be a rifle hunt. Not looking to go cheap, but don’t want to drop a ton of money either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Raider4044; 11-26-2022, 01:44 PM.

Get good boots, merino wool clothing (I prefer Firstlite) and start working on your cardio now.

Comment

I'd go to Montana. Just about everywhere that is OTC you will be tripping over other hunters, even guided in Colorado, assuming you have no points. Do you have any points?

There's tons of other threads on what to wear, boot recommendations, places to hunt, they should pull up pretty easy if you search those keywords.

Good luck and be prepared for a new addiction!

Comment

Colorado is good. It will likely be cold so be ready for that. Sure there are other hunters but they ouch stuff around like you are going to push stuff around. Don’t hesitate to put in for a draw or two. Might get lucky and won’t have to worry about the OTC

Comment

I contacted several well respected drop camp providers back in December of last year to book an archery drop camp. First round of emails did not get a response so I sent out 2nd email to all of them. Finally got 2 to respond. One indicated they did not anticipate any openings due to wait list and repeat clients. 2nd one called and kind of told me the same thing and put me on his waiting list. Said he gives his repeat clients till Feb 1 then any openings he goes down his wait list. Never heard anything back so it is what it is... and kind of realized I need to continue DIY or spring for full outfitted service.

Comment

Rifle hunts will be booked further out than archery hunts. Most good outfitters will be hard to book a rifle hunt with as they always go to repeat hunters. Most elk hunts need to be planned for several years out. In Wyoming you can draw every 3-4 years if you put in for preference points every year and when you put in to draw with a outfitter you gain a point.

Comment

If you do go the OTC route look for a outfitter around Craig or Rifle CO. Colorado has great elk numbers but don’t expect to shoot a bull over 300”.

Comment

Don’t look over Idaho. There are some rifle hunts available with less hunters.

Comment

90%+ of OTC hunters are within a mile or two of parking or camping. drop camp is a good thing.

Comment

I’ve always wanted to try Colorado otc. All I’ve heard lately is how crazy and crowded it’s got. I’m sure there are very good areas with really good potential though. I’d be pretty upset to hike in 10-12 miles to find more hunters. We went to Idaho and only saw one hunter while we were out hunting and he was set up on an hiking trail.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
                      I’ve always wanted to try Colorado otc. All I’ve heard lately is how crazy and crowded it’s got. I’m sure there are very good areas with really good potential though. I’d be pretty upset to hike in 10-12 miles to find more hunters. We went to Idaho and only saw one hunter while we were out hunting and he was set up on an hiking trail.

Not a whole lot of places you can hike in 12 miles in CO, even then it’s a lot of fun packing a bull out. Only issue with Idaho is it’s a 24hr drive so realistically you loose 2.5-3 days of hunting just driving.

Comment

Op there is more to a unit then OTC vs Points. The unit with the largest number of archery bulls killed over 320 every year and argumentatively the best archery unit in the state is actually OTC for archery, but not everyone is going to be able to hunt it.

Some of your best locations might only be 3 miles from a town or a long random hike through sage flats to get around private.

My advice focus on having fun and bulls tend to take care of themselves

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                          Op there is more to a unit then OTC vs Points. The unit with the largest number of archery bulls killed over 320 every year and argumentatively the best archery unit in the state is actually OTC for archery, but not everyone is going to be able to hunt it.

Some of your best locations might only be 3 miles from a town or a long random hike through sage flats to get around private.

My advice focus on having fun and bulls tend to take care of themselves

And what unit is that?? [emoji12] asking for a friend

Comment

San Juan Outfitters, LLC out of Pagosa Springs are good guys. They do drop camps.

Comment

I'm been several times otc and draws in Colorado, Montana, and Utah.

Spike camp with horses is the way to go.

Gear always seems to work itself out.

Whatever and wherever you decide. People will always say it, but I can't stress enough to be in shape. I'm talking either, running 6 miles a day or biking 10, with a pack on 5 days a week. The elevation will kick your *** coming from Texas. Last hunt where I took a nice bull, I did 640 miles in the last 3 months up to the hunt, and that was June, July, and August in houston. There's a reason every backcountry TV hunter looks like a bean pole.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X