Connected With a Big Texas Mule Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connected With a Big Texas Mule Deer

Hunting out in Scurry and Fisher county this year has been tough. Seems the drought really did a number on the deer populations this year.

We have not seen much at all as far as whitetail go. I still haven’t seen 1 decent whitetail buck all season.

This past Saturday marked the start of the 2 week long Mule deer season in our area. We arrived Friday night , I was ready to go Saturday morning in search of the elusive trophy Mule Deer.

The next 5 days I spent glassing a few canyons without much luck. Saw a few whitetail, coyotes, and pigs.

Monday I finally saw the first Mule deer. A doe. Later that evening I saw a set of twin spike mule deer. But no real numbers and nothing to get my heart beating.

Yesterday, Wednesday the 23rd, I decided to change it up a little. I hunted one of my stands about a mile south of the areas I saw glassing. After a few hours of seeing nothing but a whitetail doe, I decided I needed to go back to the canyons and check it out.

I hike up there and sure enough there is 20 mulies in the canyon!!!

…. Just kidding. There was nothing. Kind of as I expected.

I get to the farthest north fence line in that pasture and walk as Far East as I can away from the areas I have spent the last 5 days. There is another really deep canyon on the east side that I had not spent any time investigating this trip. I get to the far north east corner and with the wind in my face I began to slowly walk and glass headed South following the contour of the canyon. I spend the next 30 minutes or so walking, stopping, and glassing.

Now probably half a mile South of the North East corner I come around a big mesquite bush and staring directly at me about 50 yards away was the animal I was after. A big Texas mule deer. For a second I did not move, but I knew I would need to act quick as he had me pegged. I slowly moved my Gun up and put the cross hairs right behind the shoulder and touched off the trigger.

The Alamo Precision 6.5 PRC hit perfect. The buck took off to the right after a giant mule kick. The other mule deer ( which I had not seen prior to the shot) took off the the left.

I immediately ran to the spot he was standing so I could try and catch a sight of him, if he did run far into the depths of the canyon. I could not see him.

A few minutes later I followed his path, looking for blood. I did not see any. So I went back to the spot he was standing. I started to go around the brush towards where the other deer had ran and a few short steps I saw him piled up.

“He didn’t go 20” (threw that in for TBH crowd that likes to belabor everything) but he truly didn’t make it a few steps out of my sight before he piled up. A shot right through the lungs, he wasn’t going anywhere.

Also, it was exactly 1 year and 1 day ago I shot another brute of a mule deer maybe 1/2 a mile from this location.

Even after a terribly slow season this trip is at least a success. Now to try and find a few whitetail bucks for my wife and son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a dandy! Plans to get a mount?

Comment

That’s a great Texas Muley. Congrats to you sir.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
        That’s a dandy! Plans to get a mount?

Yes. Going to put him next to the buck I got last year. Actually just got that mount back last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice bucks

Comment

Congrats on a great buck!

Comment

Nice buck.

Comment

Congrats I guess I'm going to have to get me one of those one of theses days

Comment

Congratulations on a nice Texas Mule Deer.

Comment

Very nice!
                    Big congrats on the Texas Mule deer…He’s solid!

Comment

Congratulations on that bruiser!

Comment

Congrats on an awesome animal! Persistence pays off!

Comment

Congrats on a great mulie buck! Threads like this are giving me sleepless nights awaiting my Matador hunt in a few weeks, I can't wait!!!

Comment

Nice buck, definitely some different hunting up there.

Comment

Beautiful buck. Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X