Chevy feeling unstable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chevy feeling unstable

I have a 2015 chevy 2500HD, 4x4 diesel and I just had 2 new tires put on the back end. They replaced the exact tire. All tires balances. Front tires are really new. Now it feels like the truck is unstable. It feels like it is swaying around. The back end feels like it slides sideways when I drive on a winding FM road at highways speeds. Also I had to lay on the brakes at 70mph and it started to fishtail. I had to keep turning into it to keep control.

What is going on?

Chevy feeling unstable

This was a long time ago, but I was told in high school by a tire guy to put new AT or MT rubber up front if you only buy two tires. Dad insisted the new rubber go on the back so that the drive tires had the better tread. Tire guy said ok. Whatever you want. I experienced the same thing when we did that. Slight fishtailing, unstable feeling. Like the back was walking driving straight down the road. We went back and flipped them and all was well. Guy said it had something to do with the softness of new tread versus tread that had some wear on it. Told me to always put new ATs up front. You might try that.
    Last edited by Smart; 11-08-2022, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      This was a long time ago, but I was told in high school by a tire guy to put new AT or MT rubber up front if you only buy two tires. Dad insisted the new rubber go on the back so that the drive tires had the better tread. Tire guy said ok. Whatever you want. I experienced the same thing when we did that. Slight fishtailing, unstable feeling. Like the back was walking driving straight down the road. We went back and flipped them and all was well. Guy said it had something to do with the softness of new tread versus tread that had some wear on it. Told me to always put new ATs up front. You might try that.
      This is what I have always been told as well and have done with no issues .

Comment

Are they Michilens? In the past whenever I put on a new set it felt like that but got better over time. I don't know why.

Comment

Shocks ?

Comment

My tire guy says this is true. He's been in business for many, many years.

Comment

^This, exactly. Overinflating rear tires will do the same.

Comment

This is called tire squirm and is pretty common with brand new tires. Especially aggressive mud terrain types.

If it doesn't subside after a few hundred miles I'd take them back and see what can be done. It could be a manufacture defect judging by how pronounced it is for you.

Comment

Make sure new tires are E rated also.

Comment

I always put new tread on the front no matter what vehicle if I'm only buying two. Was told about this in high school and always went with what worked.

Comment

Discount tire sold me an at tire a few years back for my 2015 2500 that was super sketchy. I had the back end try to slide out from under my twice in turns and they were down right scary on uneven roads or rain. I went back in after about 5K miles, one month for me, and talked to them. They said they had gotten a lot of complaints on them and were pulling them. Paid a couple hundred bucks to get my normal nittos put back on.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                        This is called tire squirm and is pretty common with brand new tires. Especially aggressive mud terrain types.

If it doesn't subside after a few hundred miles I'd take them back and see what can be done. It could be a manufacture defect judging by how pronounced it is for you.
                        This. Had the same issue with Ridge Grapplers for about 200 miles.

Comment

This or under-inflated tires will feel squirmy.

Comment

New tires always seem sloppy until they tighten up !

Comment

These are cooper discoverers. I have had these on the truck since 2016 .

I jumped on the corners of the truck and the shocks seen fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X