Help me diagnose this shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me diagnose this shot

Got my first buck last night before rifle opened ! Had him broadside at 30. Let er fly. Once arrow hits it it looked like it was in the vitals and felt like a good shot. But after it hits it just falls straight down where he’s standing. he runs off with leg tucked into the brush about 50 yards away.

495 grain with 150gr iron will. 29” draw shade under 70lbs. @ 265fps

Check arrow it’s a pass thru but but looks dark and grainy like it’s muscular. Give him a while and go to track. Not much as I feared. Spots here and there and I’m crawling on hands and knees tracking for hours. Finally come across a bed with lung blood about the size of a softball. Feeling better and finally find him not far from there. As a crow flies he only went 115 yards.

Here’s pics. Entry looks a little high forward and exit looks perfect but the entry and exit are pinholes. I’d expect bigger holes and more blood with these ironwills. Don’t get me wrong I’m super stoked but Do y’all think it’s shot placement ? Or what gives with my struggles there on the blood trail?

It passed through a bunch of tissue and meat. To get that sort of pass through is awesome but I’d expect a larger exit.

Comment

Well first of all welcome to the fire and congrats on a fine bow kill. I’ve never shot that broadhead so I don’t know. But almost looks like he was shot with a field tip.

Comment

Maybe too far forward

Comment

No help on what happened, but that’s a hell of a buck!

Congratulations!

Comment

I have shot quite a few animals with iron wills and I love them. Have never seen just a pin hole like that. But, at the end of the day it’s just a two blade with bleeders. Not going to put a ton of blood on the ground. I think the shot placement is the biggest factor for blood on the ground. Need a shot in the lower 1/3 of chest to get good blood on the ground. Even better with a bit higher entrance and a low exit. On your shot the chest had to fill with blood before much started coming out. I shot a red deer hind last weekend in about the same place with an iron will wide. Spotty blood trail and she went about 150 yards. Just a couple inches lower and it’s much different. If you want more blood I would try three things: aim a touch lower, come back slightly or wait for quartering away shot, switch to iron will wide or a true 3 or 4 blade head.

Comment

I’m kind of thinking that. Maybe too far forward arrow kicks back and clips lung. I agree I feel like exit would should be way larger. Would’ve made my life easier !

Comment

One last thought, where you hit goes through a lot of heavy muscle and bone. The hole tends to plug up a bit more there.

Comment

Maybe sharpen that broadhead? I would expect a decent bloodtrail from that shoot.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

Brand new broadhead. I know they don’t come from factory perfect but ….

Comment

Originally posted by lazuras_dc View Post
                      Brand new broadhead. I know they don’t come from factory perfect but ….
                      My iron wills have always been pretty sharp from the package. I do touch them up if reusing or if they have been in the quiver a while. Just a weird hole. Stuff happens!

Comment

I agree with docmay… shot placement could have been a bit better it it were more back, but biggest issue is that most of the blood could pool in the cavity.
                        I prefer to have the shot lower or at a downward angle if possible.
                        Still… congrats on a great bow buck!

Comment

Did the BH or arrow break before the exit?

Comment

Nope everything stayed intact. I think the shot placement thing makes the most sense. Since it was so far forward the BH hits bone and muscle slows down enough that it barely gets through but clips lung and holes get plugged up with all that mess. He had a lot of fat on em too. Anyway. Super happy I found em. Goodluck to everyone else this season !

Comment

I’ve got no .02 to throw in on what happened but congrats on a great buck!

Comment

Working...
                              X