Rut Time Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rut Time Frame

I’m in the Hill country (Burnet county) and was wondering when you think the rut time frame is. I’ve seen several bucks starting to wind check and chase does, nothing heavy yet. And also very little sparing / rattling. Thoughts?
    Thanks and good luck all!

Around thanksgiving would be my guess.

Comment

Nov 10-20

Comment

Comment

I've hunted Burnet county a good bit. It has always been going strong the first week of November for us.

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
            Around thanksgiving would be my guess.
            The 2 week period around Thanksgiving is usually when I see the most rut activity. Younger bucks get frisky early IMO. A Buddy of mine rattled up a decent buck a week ago @ the jobsite in Wilco.

Comment

The better bucks on my burnet county lease split from their bachelor groups about 2 weeks ago. I bet they get fired up here pretty soon. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                I’m in the Hill country (Burnet county) and was wondering when you think the rut time frame is. I’ve seen several bucks starting to wind check and chase does, nothing heavy yet. And also very little sparing / rattling. Thoughts?
                Thanks and good luck all!
                Last week, I had 5 bucks on a hot doe and were hot and heavy. I would say now, until the week after thanksgiving. But, really there are so many does in the areas I hunt, there are possibilities of seeing bucks chasing them, pretty much all season long. We also see new fawns each year months apart from each other. I am no expert, but I feel like having so many does, creates a much wider frame of time for "the rut" and also does not seem as intense as in other places that I have hunted.

Comment

2nd and 3rd week should be alot of bucks travelling in pre-rut conditions. Thanksgiving they will be on lockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                    2nd and 3rd week should be alot of bucks travelling in pre-rut conditions. Thanksgiving they will be on lockdown.
                    This is what I think most folks miss. I try to hunt the pre-rut when they are going cray-cray, not when they finally start locking down and getting pushed during the actual rut.

Comment

It’s crazy to me how different it can be just a couple counties away. I’ve been hunting Mills county all week and have had plenty of bucks (young and old) not showing any interest yet. Actually most sits I’ve either seen all bucks or all doe. Here it gets heavy November 15th or so.

Comment

Burnet/Llano county it’s going, especially, young bucks. Saw a nice 8 running one yesterday in Inks state park. Lot of buck road kills

Comment

Watched two chase a doe this am,got home and theres one chasing a doe around my house.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I sit right on the line between Travis and Hays counties, very near I-35. Not much activity here yet.

Comment

Llano county it’s about the 7th of November on average.

Comment

Working...
                              X