Seeding Bermuda vs Sod -Lawn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeding Bermuda vs Sod -Lawn?

We’re finishing up grading around our house and will need to put grass down in the spring. Any thoughts on seeding Bermuda vs using sod? Seed is so much cheaper but it seems like most folks go the sod route for residential use.

We’re on a sand hill near Lexington with no shade and about a half acre lawn surrounded by coastal grass to give you reference.

Also open to recommendations for other species of grass.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Full sun, I'd put in carpet grass. Mine does dry out but stays green weeks longer than my Bermuda.

Comment

Seed is cheaper. With only half an acre. You would have an established yard faster with sod if you don’t mind the price.

A Florida based worldwide supplier of Lawn, Pasture and Turf Grass Seed at wholesale pricing direct to the public! Best prices on grass seed guaranteed!

I used these ^^^^ guys for my Bermuda seed.

You will definitely need to water it often

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Seed is cheaper. With only half an acre. You would have an established yard faster with sod if you don’t mind the price.

A Florida based worldwide supplier of Lawn, Pasture and Turf Grass Seed at wholesale pricing direct to the public! Best prices on grass seed guaranteed!

I used these ^^^^ guys for my Bermuda seed.

You will definitely need to water it often

Do you mean water often when you throw the seed out? Or water often even after grass is established?

Comment

We planted 20 pallets of Bermuda sod in deep South Texas with full sun and have been really disappointed. Started filling in with Saint Augustine and it is doing much better.

Comment

Originally posted by apkleinschmidt View Post
            Do you mean water often when you throw the seed out? Or water often even after grass is established?

Both. If you don’t have a sprinkler system installed, go ahead and start looking into how you will water it. Last house didn’t have a sprinkler and I used a few multi zone water hose timers hooked to different sprinklers to get the coverage.

Sod is easier and quicker, but more expensive. Seeding will take longer to get it established, but cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
              We planted 20 pallets of Bermuda sod in deep South Texas with full sun and have been really disappointed. Started filling in with Saint Augustine and it is doing much better.

Good lord that is a lot of sod! And a lot of work.

Comment

Bermuda should do better in full sun. Not sure why some are having better results with St Augustine in full sun? I would sod but its expensive. Call around and get prices trucked to you. Should be around $125 a pallet or it was the last time I called.

Comment

When you start manual watering you’ll wish you had gone the irrigation system route. Just saying.

Comment

I used hydromulch seed and it was awesome. Lots of watering to start with.

Comment

If you are going to seed it, go ahead and seed it right now with annual rye. This will establish some cover for the winter. Then seed with the Bermuda in the spring when it starts to warm up enough to start killing off the the rye grass. Mow the rye grass down to about an inch or so and it will give you cover so the Bermuda seed won’t wash away with big rains and it will help it get established. Good Luck!

Comment

Seeding is Common Bermuda not really what you want for a residential lawn, sod comes in different varieties of Bermudas and the seed that it produces is sterile. A few examples are Celebration, Tiffway 419, Tiff Tuff. You cannot buy seed for these varieties.

Comment

In the middle of doing the same after our remodel construction has done a number on our existing lawn along with the drought (irrigation system been down since 2nd week of June). I’m a few weeks away from leveling and spreading sand, dragging, etc to prepare my yard. Plan is to plant rye grass to hold the soil in place over the winter and then plant Bermuda seed late April or May as temps dictate appropriate time. I have closer to an acre so no way I’m planting sod except possibly in a several slope area. Coach

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post
                            If you are going to seed it, go ahead and seed it right now with annual rye. This will establish some cover for the winter. Then seed with the Bermuda in the spring when it starts to warm up enough to start killing off the the rye grass. Mow the rye grass down to about an inch or so and it will give you cover so the Bermuda seed won’t wash away with big rains and it will help it get established. Good Luck!
                            This is a good option but maybe cereal rye to build a root system. You can also use a slit seeder to plant your Bermuda this spring...

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post

I just seeded winter rye last week. It was going to be an absolute dust bowl if I didn’t.

Comment

Working...
                              X